Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

Talking Ciao from Italy!

Hello,
We are a family of 5 including our dog. We are currently stationed overseas in Italy. We are heading back stateside this summer. We have decided that we are going to be Full Timing in an RV until our next duty station (4 years) or my husband retires (8 years). We mostly want to become debt free so we can move home and buy a piece of homesteading property outright in good ol' Eastern Oregon! So far we love the layouts of the Forest River Sandpiper Bunkhouses the best and the price as well. They can also come with the polar and solar package which we are very interested in. We are hoping to stay in the PNW, but with no real control over our next location, we would be happy with the West Coast in general. We are VERY outdoorsy people, love camping, being outside in general. Our sons are 8 months and 2.5 years and we have a German Shepherd. Our new "home" will occasionally be towed to Eastern Oregon for week long hunting camps and hanging out with family. Any advice and tips would be so appreciated. So happy for the internet in these situations! I just want to be able to go look at 5er's now! Italians, do quite a bit of camping themselves! Most of them own at least a little van camper.
Thank you!!
mamahoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #2

Welcome Mamahoss,

I'm afraid I can't be much help with information for you but I wanted to say hi and someone will jump in here soon with plenty of info.

Sounds like a great adventure, maybe our paths will cross on the road some day.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

Although I'm Canadian and a Vet., I'm sure everyone on here would say thank you for your service. Stay safe.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

Welcome from Florida! That will be quite an adventure, living full time with two youngsters! I am sure it is a little difficult to shop for a new TT while living overseas. Are you planning to buy one off the lot or order one before returning to the U.S.?

And yes, thank you for your family's service.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #5

Good afternoon and welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

Much depends on which model you buy and what you plan on using for a tow rig.

One I looked at would be over 13,000 lbs. loaded.

I also thank you for your families service.

Advice: If a salesman tells you it can be towed with a 1/2 ton walk away quickly.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

I have a Sandpiper 30iOK and we like it a lot. Not sure it would be a great full time layout as you may want a little larger bunkhouse.

The 32QBBS is a neat layout. What I like about it is the bunk house is in the front and bedroom is in the back. It would put the kids a little further away from the main living area then most bunk house models which I think is an added benifit.

The 357TRIP is more of the traditional bunkhouse being right off the main living area. Although a great design and around for many years, the further the kids are away from noise I find the better they sleep lol.

Both have outdoor kitchens which for us that is a must. Added features on the select which we like are the slow close drawers and upgraded flooring.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

I like the new floor plans with the bunks mid coach, really liked the Coachman one that had the loft over the bunk, figures a great bunkhouse model comes out after the kids quit camping with us.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for the advice and welcome! Thank you for your support and services too Pipeman! We all work together somehow! We are loving the floor plan of the 371 REBH. It has the bigger living room and two bunks which is all we really need. I like that our boys would be closer to the back with us too and they are little. I've heard a few horror stories about children getting out and wondering. X96mnn, I LOVE the outdoor kitchen on those models, but the 371REBH doesn't have one. We do have a BBQ grill so we were thinking it wouldn't be that bad. I am still torn between the floor plan of the 371REBH and the 365SAQB with the outdoor kitchen. I want the best of both worlds.
Camping Gator, we are totally undecided about what to do. With my husband working SO much and our next location will be worse I would prefer something new that I don't have to work on or fix up. With the two young children, it's frustrating that we spend so much time fixing things on our house now. I like the idea of custom and factory built and not having to deal with a salesman.

I'm really excited about this whole process. Thank you again!
mamahoss is offline   Reply With Quote