Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #1

Clearance/marker light issue

I developed an issue with the front clearance lights where they don't work while all other outside lights on the motor home work. That is with the exception of the overhead light in the cab. The wiring of the lights seemed fine but testing the wires leading to the lights resulted in no power going to the lights. I tested fuses in the camper and the wiring from the battery also seemed fine. the camper is a 2009 coachman freelander with freightliner engine. Any ideas what the issue could be? I think If I could find the wire leading up to the lights I'd be ok. Can't find any wiring schematics to be able to trace wiring from the lights.
Thanks,
Peter
Psdietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Done with this

Freightliner makes an engine?

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

I think OP means "chassis".
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Done with this

I'd say a wire connection has corroded somewhere. I'd run a new wire.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

I guess its not a freightliner engine, but its a freightliner cab...Mercedes Benz engine? Anyway, Where might the wire corrode as I see it leaving the light strip and its fine and then it goes into the nose of the body and then down to a power source or connects with another wire in the ceiling or somewhere below. Its a mystery where the wires go in order to corrode. This is where I need help. Do you know where the power source for these lights originate.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Done with this

Don't know for sure. It ties into the harness somewhere. Time to go chasing with a test light. Look at the wire color, and look for it at the fuse panel. Any moisture can make a wire corrode.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #7

Well there has been some moisture in the system so that is possible. I've looked at the wires going into the fuses and can't distinguish them easily so will need to move onto a different strategy. I tested the fuses, which were hard to reach in the cramped panel under the dash and they seemed fine. If the issue is between the fuse panel and nose of the unit I'd be hard pressed to find it.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Done with this

It won't be easy. Running a new wire might be easier.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
Done with this

Check the connections on all the clearance lights. Take each one off and look. They should be chained together down each side. You might get lucky and find the break on the front side markers.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

I had all of them off and they all seemed to make good connection. I actually had replaced 4 out of 5 that were cracked before noticing the lights issue. The wires coming into the row of lights didn't have any power. I was able to trace the power cord into the ceiling by a light but then I lose it. So at this point I may want to rewire it. How do I find the power source to connect the wire to that goes to the row of lights? There is a mass of wires under the dash so being a newbe in this area don't know where to begin to find the wire to attach the marker lights. Can anyone give me advice? Was even thinking of getting amber led lights and using them in place of the marker lights.

Tags
light