Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #11

I bought an led strip that from amazon less than $15 that comes with a barrel connector on one end and two soldered wires on the other so you can add more.You can also cut it in 3 LED segments to make several replacement fixtures (the strip comes with 3M tape backing so you can stick them in your original light fixtures if you want)Of course test one first to see if the output is acceptable cause you can use multiple of 3 to get more light. You would need to solder on wires to each new light you make.In my case, I cut the strip to 12’ and installed motorhome under the cabinet that ran the length of my dinette and couch.This strip put out more light (and evenly) than the 4 traditional fixtures mounted about every 3’ under the cabinet. The wattage consumed by the 12’ strip was less than a single bulb in the traditional fixture. In my case, I also bought the companion dimmer so I could lower the light when you were watching TV at night.I since got rid of the motorhome (kept the led strip) andbought a new fifth wheel.Since the new toy has an on board generator it only came with a single battery.For comparison, I can turn on a single traditional fixture and hear the converter change frequency (as in it is charging the battery).When I turn on the 6 LED light fixture that came installed in the new camper – which put out more even light that the traditional fixtures, there is no change in the converter frequency (as in, load is minimal so not much charging needed) definitely a good way to stretch between battery charges.Hope this helps.The one I bought from amazon was “HitLights LED Strip Light - Flexible, Warm White, 300 LED's, 16.4 Feet Spool (5 meters), 12VDC Input (Adapter not included)”of course you don’t need the adapter, you are already using 12 volts.Good luck (and I liked my Honda EU2000 for charging back up my old 5th wheel batterieswhen we dry camped)

Sans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #12
Site Team

After reading La Plata measurements it confirms that I have some of the smallest doors. The sewer hose supporter will not fit inside the door no matter which way I try to insert it. Just like with larger size items I just keep it inside the TT while in storage.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #13

Ouch!

Terier, I hate when that happens.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #14

Sans1,
Thanks for all the info about the LEDs. I'm not sure I'll go as far as you did, but it sounds good. I'm working on beefing up the power right now. I need to make the LP gas and battery more secure. Not so much while I'm traveling but while it's in storage. In order to make more power available I'm adding another LP bottle and another battery. I already have the kit for the bottles and am about to order a dual battery box. I think I'll put the bottles closer to the trailer and the battery box forward of that. I'm assuming the battery that came with the trailer is a deep cycle, so I'll match that one. I found a smaller battery switch from SeaSense that will allow me to draw from one or the other or both in parallel or switch them both off. I have a portable 120watt solar panel on the way. The point of all this is because I want to be able to "camp" off the grid without being too concerned about power usage. Keep the ideas coming it's good to hear what others are doing.
Bob
Old 07-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Do you have an battery disconnect switch for when the trailer is not in use?

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #16

Sorry Terier,

Sorry Terier,
I missed your comment earlier. I'm still trying to get used to how the posts appear here. I actually responded to Sans1 and mentioned that I have found a smaller battery switch that will allow me to disconnect the batteries draw from either one alone or both in parallel.

Bob
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #17

Barry no problem with the regulator.

I think I'm going to switch the positions anyway. I got a dual bottle mount and cover and will be ordering a dual battery box as well. I think having the bottles closer to the trailer and the battery box forward of them will make for a more aerodynamic setup. It will make them both easier to access as well. I think I'll mount the regulator inside the cover, high and between the bottles if possible. I also have a portable 120 watt solar panel "system" on the way. I think that should give me more than enough power for the kind of trips I am envisioning.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #18

Just keep in mind if the battery you have is not fairly new, it will cause the new battery to less efficient. Sounds like you have one, but harbor freight had the cheapest battery cut-off switch I found. < than $8 depending on if which type you buy. (I bought the one that was an actual switch. It had a pair of removable handles)
Sans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #19

Not so far Terier. Right now I just pull one lead off the battery when I'm not using it.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #20

Sans1 have you heard of battery equalization?

I came across it in the forums. I believe it takes care of the differences between batteries of slightly different ages. I have no idea what the process is or the dangers if any. Do you know anything about it? I expect to purchase a second battery to match the original, but I'm still curious about the process.

Tags