Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #21
Site Team

When I had a second battery added to my TT I decided on two new & stronger batteries. I was told that the set up would only be as strong as the weakest battery and the battery that came with the trailer wasn't so great.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #22

My new solar panel setup just arrived. I'm impressed. I sat it out in front of the house. It was late in the evening the sun fairly low in the sky. The panel was at less than an optimum angle partially shaded by the trees across the street and the shrubs a few feet away. I was surprised to see the panel was able to produce almost 20 volts. There was no load so I have no clue if that voltage is meaningful. Lots to learn. I expect to store it to the left of door against the wall of the dinette seat.

I still need to get the exact model of battery already on the trailer. At that point I can decide if it is appropriate for my planed use. If it is I will purchase a matching battery.

Thanks to all that have being giving me input on this project. Let me know if you see any flaws in what I'm doing or planning.
CrifasiRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #23

You mention you got your panels. I don't recall reading anything about a solar charge controller. Now, I have read a few article about people adding solar and thought I might try it someday. But as I understand it, it is a bit more than just the panels and batteries. Here is a good article you may want to look at. No endorsement, I just googled and found it. I am looking for one where a guy went to extremes to equip his rig for living off the grid for extended periods. I'll post the url for it if I find it. How to Use Solar Energy to Power Your RV - CampingRoadTrip.com I also found this blog that might help. Even you don't go this far, it is good info http://cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com/
Good luck. Now that I replied, I bet you get some replies form folks with experience in this area.
Sans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #24

Sans1, what I bought is a 120watt suitcase system. It contains a controller. It is an Eco-Worthy system through Ebay. I seems pretty good so far. In partial shade in late evening sun it developed just under 20 volts with no load. My trailer comes equipped with an input for solar so this hookup should be a snap. But I think hooking it directly to the battery will be a lot more efficient for recharging. I like the unit so far, but I have much to learn.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #25

Sans1, you mentioned the controller. It's a "standard" unit. Pretty minimalist if you compare it to what else is available. Part of my goal in purchasing the system is to learn about it. If this controller (PWM) does not prove adequate I may replace it with an MPPT unit. From what I understand the MPPT controllers are more efficient and generally provide a desulfation cycle. They also seem to be in a higher price bracket. Please correct me if I am not correct.

TV: Chrysler T&C
TT: Coachmen Clipper 17FQ
MV: West Wight Potter 15
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #26

I just picked up my battery from the Clipper. It's an Exide Marine Dual purpose. It seems like a reasonable fit for my needs at a pretty good price. I have a 120 amp solar charger system and am aiming for a dual battery set up. I have the lockable battery box on the way. I will be doing camping "off the grid" for the most part. Not full blown boon-docking but state parks, no power hookup. The battery is fairly new, two trips very little use.

My question is: Is it worth replacing this battery with two true deep cycle batteries, or should I just match what I have? Then eventually replace them both when the time comes?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #27

I now have all the pieces of my energy expansion project gathered. I have to swap the tank out and remove the existing battery box. Then install the dual LP tank mounting kit and the dual battery box and controls. Sounds easy. Let's hope it goes that way. I need to drop the group 27 batteries in the box. Then see if the controls will fit in the box with them. It looks like they will so far. That will make completing the project much easier. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #28

I'm about to hijack my own thread. We are looking for dish ware for the TT. Melamine and Corellware came to mind. Any opinions of either of those or any I haven't thought of would be appreciated. Two concerns that occurred to me is that Melamine is not microwave safe, and since Corellware is tempered glass isn't it still breakable?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #29

I when's searching the forum for comments about Corelle ware after my last post. It seems I should have done that first. Lots of good comments about the strength of Corelle and many cautions about microwaving Melamine. Terier I saw yours as well. I would still welcome any comments, but I think Corelle ware is the way to go.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #30
Site Team

On a recent trip several of my Corelle dishes were tossed on the floor during travel. I did lose one bowl that broke but Corelle would still get my vote. I think I would be replacing more than one dish if I had something else.

My cousin opted for Melamine and she's happy with it even if it not microwaveable.

I recommend getting what you think would work best for you.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #31
Site Team

Terier, maybe if you were not hot roding down the road the dishes would stay put in the cupboard and the clothes would stay hung up

On a trip we took last fall we hit some real bumpy roads. The micro almost fell out of the cabinet and the stove top cover slid off over the center island onto the table, just missing the window. But my clothes stayed on the hangers , go figure.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Terier, maybe if you were not hot roding down the road the dishes would stay put in the cupboard and the clothes would stay hung up

On a trip we took last fall we hit some real bumpy roads. The micro almost fell out of the cabinet and the stove top cover slid off over the center island onto the table, just missing the window. But my clothes stayed on the hangers , go figure.
You know me better than I thought....

The clothes issue could be easily solved with hanging more clothes instead of just a few items.

As for the dishes I now use a strip of Velcro to keep the door close while traveling. The stuff slides downhill while the TT is raise by a lift when it is pulled out of storage for pickup. Of course finding every bump in the road doesn't help the matter either.

Tags