Old 07-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Clipper 17FQ Newbie

Hi all,

My thanks to Platokidd, for the welcome. We have friends that have a larger camper and we went with them to a show locally (Northern NJ), and made a tentative commitment to purchase. We did it! We bought a Clipper 17FQ late last winter and have just had the opportunity to use it. Our trip (no hookup) has me thinking about solar kits (Harbor Freight Thunderbolt). I also just bought a kit to add a second LP tank. I'm wondering about the idea of changing the stock lighting bulbs to LEDs. We purchased the sewer kit and other accessories for it recently. Any advice on any of these things would be welcomed. Lots more trips planned for retirement but we refuse to wait to get started.

Bob Crifasi

Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

Congratulations on the new Clipper 17FQ. My wife and I just picked up a 17FQ a week ago Sat. I ordered some LED replacement bulbs from Amazon and will let you know how they work for us. I'm also thinking of adding a solar panel and have looked at the one from Harbor Freight. We usually dry camp so it would be nice to be charging while camping.

As for a second LP tank it appears to me that the LP regulator would block placing a second tank beside the original. Did you have to relocate your regulator?

Barry & Rose

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi there and congrats on the new Clipper too!

Many members have changed to LED lights. Someday I will too but I'm going to wear out the original bulbs first since I usually camp with full hookups I'm not in a big hurry yet. Now if I were to do a good amount of dry camping I would switch over faster.

In the beginning I was considering adding solar panels. Based on my camping style (full hookups) I opted to add an second battery instead for limited dry camping.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #4

Hi and Thanks!

Hi Terier & La Plata,
I was starting to feel ignored. Thank you both for your replies and thank you for the tip on the regulator, I hadn't noticed that being in the way. I'll have to check that out.
I just purchased the Clipper 17FQ. We may be more on the boondocking end of the spectrum but not hard core. Much of our needs will be met by th LP gas, ie hot water, refridge and heat when needed. Electrical needs will be mostly lights an occasional "smoothy" (via magic bullet), CPAP at night and recharging phones. That brings me to my first question... I am thinking a 100 watt solar system should be able to keep the batteries charged up, given conservative use and clear weather. Does that sound reasonable?
Another thing did you guys notice the lug nuts on the spare are not the same size as the ones on the wheels?
Bob
Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #5

Hey, do either of you have your TT's close by? You both have the same front outside storage compartment, right? Could one of you give me the height and width measurements? Mine is an hour away and I'd like to get an idea of what size solar panel I could store in there.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Hi again,

Posts get lost in the rotation shuffle by incoming newer posts when viewing threads by using the "Recent Discussions" or "Today's Posts" options. Posting feedback will bring the thread to the top of the line up for a limited period of time depending on how active the site is. Sometimes I do go through some of the various forum to see if I missed anything I can offer comment upon but this is not always possible.

I don't have my TT close by or I would measure for you. I used to store it close by but after having someone steal some of my stuff I moved it and now it's not so close for dropping by. I do know that my storage doors are the second smallest ones I have come across. Even an inch wider would yield many more storage container options.

My knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to technological stuff which is why I count on this website for assistance. Of course I generally take feedback with a gain of salt with this being the Internet and all.

I haven't noticed the difference with the lug nuts but will check it out next time I go camping.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
Site Team

OK, based on a storage container measurement I'm guessing my doors are about 14" (maybe 15.5) wide by about 9" tall. Remember these numbers are not actual measurements. I want to say that the doors are wider but I seem to remember having problems finding larger containers that were less than 16 inches wide.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Hi Bob,

On my 2014 17FQ the front compartment door measures 10" high by 28" wide. But keep in mind there are rounded corners so it's not a true rectangular opening.

As for the lug nuts I hadn't noticed that difference. I usually carry a four-way lug wrench in my truck so will have to check to make sure I have a match to both sized nuts.

From what I've seen on-line a 100W solar panel would provide trickle charging (4-5 Amps) depending on conditions. Prices are around $175 for a 100W panel, charge controller, and some cabling. I'm thinking that rather than have it attached to the trailer I'd come up with a support stand. That way the TT could be parked in the shade.

A coworker of mine prefers to use one of the small Honda generators to occasionally run his coffee pot, AC, and charge the battery. Pros and cons to both ideas I guess.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

OK getting closer

Terier and La Plata,
Based on your measurments I'll need a different storage spot. I'm thinking of seting up something to strap it securly to the back of the Dinnette seat just to the left of the door. Ill need to measure the spot but I think that should work. If I could measure that I could order it today. I'm pretty sure from the other info I've gathered 120 Watts should work for me. I found a place in the US that stocks something that looks good for my application. Thanks to both of you for the assist so far.
La Plata: As far as the "T" lug wrench that's a great idea. I should have already gotten one for the van. The tool that comes with the van is pretty flimsy.
Terier: Thanks for the forum navagation tips, lots to learn!
Bob
Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #10

Bob,

I was mistaken when I said in an earlier post that the LP regulator might block a second LP tank. The regulator might get in the way of a second battery, but not the LP tank as that sits farther forward.

Barry & Rose

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado

Tags