Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Coleman popup to Surveyer Hybrid

2000 Coleman Mesa popup for the last 8 seasons with 2 Chrysler minivans. Very good experiences, but with the 3 girls getting older and getting tired of being the last ones set up and torn down, we've moved on. Van and camper were sold last fall, and we found a Mountaineer with the full 7000 lbs tow rating.

This past Saturday, we towed home a 2004 Surveyor SV261T (see sig line). It's barely fitting in our driveway while I set up storage.

We're very excited to take this step. This layout (only 3980 shipped weight, queen tipout, rear quad bunks with bike door) was exactly what we were looking for. We had to drive 3 hours each way to get it, and they didn't come down as much as I'd hoped. But we have what we want.

Any concerns I should watch for on this year Surveyor (or Surveyor hybrids in general)? I understand that these are in the same family as the Roo and Shamrock, right?

Interior shows very well, but we bought knowing there could be issues with the floor. The dealer (SirpillaRV/Camping World-Akron) covered the original floor with carpet. They said the floor was stained and wasn't showing well. I rolled under the entire enclosed underbelly on a creeper, knocking on every square foot. The under-wrap looks outstanding, and everything felt & sounded solid. The knocking sounded different here and there, but that certainly could be affected by what was attached above, or empty hallway. I didn't feel anything soft, besides the membrane itself.

We saw no hint of roof or walls being repainted, and no wall stains.

So we bought this, knowing we would watch for leaks. Not sure if we should pull up the carpet, or only do it if we find a problem.

thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
to the forum and congratulations on the camper! Sorry, I am no help with suggestions, but wanted to welcome you aboard.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (12 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Welcome to the forums !

Walk all over the floor, paying close attention to any soft or IRREGULAR spots. if any particular areas feels wavey/bumpy. It might be time to pay more attention to those areas more carefully.

Check all outside storage compartments. leave paper towel around the doors (inside of course) and check them for dampness/wetness after rainy days.

Hybrids also leak a lot right under the bunk ends, where it connects to the body of the trailer !

Good luck with your trailer and hopefully it will give you no problems at all !
2009 Ford F-150 XLT/XTR 5.4l, CrewCab. long bed
2011 Surveyor SV-291
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
We have exactly the same year and model as you. We bought it used four years ago and so far our 261T has been outstanding!! I do have a soft spot in the floor where the pull out step mounting hardware pierced the underwrap. More than likely, I'm going to pull the vinyl, repair the floor to some degree (from the top side bc I don't want to disturb the underwrap too much) and just use some other form of step. Other than that I have no complaints whatsoever. As time allows this summer I'll continue to make small improvements and tweaks that fit our needs as they come up. Good luck w everything and let us know how you're doing.
Sperb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant
welcome to the world of hybrids!

the Surveyor is made under the Forest River brand, but they are built in a different factory than the twins Roo/Shamrock. and they have different floorplans and features.
but from what i've read, lots of happy/pleased Surveyor owners.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote