Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #1

Smile Duratain Protective Coatings needed?

Hi

I am in process of purchasing a small Bullet travel trailer....and after 2+ hours in the "financial department" last night, signing things I was not necessarily comfortable with.....I am now thinking of cancelling the following items..

1) GAP Insurance (Safeco told me they will figure mine and it will be less than the $995!!

2) Duratain Protective Coatings....$1,987 ?! 5 yr. protection etc... not sure if this is necessary.....my first travel trailer purchase...

3)Extended Service Contract: $2,842 Supposedly my Bullet is not protected with the 2 "slide outs" and for only $100 'deductible' I would avoid a $3,500 charge to get them to work ....??!!

Those three 'new' items = $5824
This amount to 27.7% of my purchase price of $21,000....yikes.....

I am in my first day of the "3 day" right of refusal etc.. and we like the trailer....but now I want to cancel the above once I hear back from Safeco.

Any thoughts from anyone on the "Duratain?"

Thanks much

JJ
jerdjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

My DW and I purchased our first RV this past June. We purchased the Duratain protection and glad we did. It keeps our FW from getting black streaks down the sides and super easy to clean and stay clean. We have only washed it twice so far.

Where we bought the RV they offered a lifetime warranty on the components in the trailer such as air conditioner, fridge, stove, microwave, etc...... We also purchased the extended warranty on everything else. I don't remember the cost. For the extended warranty we are making 6 monthly payments because we didn't feel like forking out the money for everything that day.

With that said when we used our RV the first time we washed it the first week of use. It looked like there was some sort of residue all over the outside of the RV. Since we purchased it right out of the factory I thought it was from the factory. We used a cleaning product we used on our previous boat to remove the residue.

I made an appointment to have the Duratain applied at our house. When I called I was told it was already done. I told them if it was the did a poor job for the money.

They sent someone out to do the work. Being retired I had the ability to watch the work. The person that did the work took at least 8 or 9 hours and did an excellent job. After completing the work realized they had treated our RV at the dealership in the pouring rain. That would explain the sloppy job the first time.

From what I understand the product is like a plastic that protects the decals and fiberglass of the RV. It goes on like a polish that they wipe on with one cloth and removes excess with another.

Duane
2011 Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

Sounds like a lot of money to me for standard protection.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #4

Sorry I am out of your three day window but I would not go with any of those you listed. $2K would buy an awful lot of turtlewax like product. The extended warranty is an insurance crapshoot, I did not get it and have not had an issue in six years but it would be that one person who makes all the noise about how it saved their lives from financial ruin by having it. Plus I bet there is alot of fine print to go through to let them wiggle out of fixing something. If I had one of those high priced MH's might think about it. That is $5K on top of my $24K purchase for dealer add ons, especially if financing through them. That's alot of insurance, I pay $250 per year to cover my TT.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Site Team

jerdjj - can you give us an update on what you decided to do?

BTW I had perma plate (spray on protection) applied to my TT when it was about 18 months old and I'm pleased with the difference compared to the 'before' stage. My TT is 5 years old and the decals are not fading nor peeling. I have to say that I paid a lot less than the price you listed.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote