Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 02:10 AM   #1

Electrical Understanding

Not new to camping, or trailers, but I just brought home my first 5th wheel and it has stuff I've not had before. Rather than ask you to explain, I'm looking to see if I understand what I think I understand.

Shore power is a no brainer, except one question. This is the first rig I've had with a 50 amp hook up. The trailer has an electric fireplace (aux heater). The dealer told me at walk through that he couldn't show me how it worked because we were hooked to 30 amp. Does that sound legit? Does 50amp typically give you access to devices that 30 amp won't? Like aux heater or second AC?

The trailer has 4 6 volt batteries. I think the rated amp hours gets doubled, but not x4. X2 would be around 400 amp IIRC, maybe 480. But you can really only use half of the full number, so in reality I have around 200AH usable. That could be divided up a multitude of ways, but in theory it's berween 1amp for 200hrs or 200amps for 1 hr.

I have 2 160watt solar panels, 320 total, duh. I'm not really sure at the moment how many amps the controller is (or is it called a converter?) But Im certain it won't charge as fast as I can drain. I view them as dumb but quiet recharge helpers. I believe they work all the time, so long as the sun is shining. I got them with the idea of keeping batteries topped off all the time when we're not using the rv, and to supplement a daily generator recharge a little when we are using it.

I have 2 Yamaha 2000 inverter gens with the pigtail for 30 amp. I "think" I can recharge a days use of battery AHs by running them a while. Not sure really what a while is, depends on battery use I guess, but I'm thinking that running them long enough to cook supper, watch a movie, ought to recharge a normal days battery use.

I have no inverter yet. I plan on getting a 2000 watt magnum before we go full time. I know that we won't be running micro or A.C. on that, but probably a couple hrs TV, maybe 20 min of 1500 watt air fryer on occasion, maybe a small fan in the bedroom on hot nights, that kind of stuff.

Am I on the right track? Remotely close? What about that 50amp vs 30 amp shore power problem? Is the dealer right, or did he snow me?

Thanks
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitatjim View Post

Shore power is a no brainer, except one question. This is the first rig I've had with a 50 amp hook up. The trailer has an electric fireplace (aux heater). The dealer told me at walk through that he couldn't show me how it worked because we were hooked to 30 amp. Does that sound legit? Does 50amp typically give you access to devices that 30 amp won't? Like aux heater or second AC?

What about that 50amp vs 30 amp shore power problem? Is the dealer right, or did he snow me?

Thanks
The dealer is correct depending on what all electrical appliances he had on at the time while connected to a 30 amp outlet. A 120 volt 30 amp outlet is capable of providing current for 3600 watts total.

A 120/240 volt split phase 50 amp outlet is capable of providing 6000 watts per line. However there are two lines in this setup, so it's 12000 watts total.

This is something you really need to know in case you camp at a place that may only have 30 amp outlets, and you have to use an adapter to connect your RV to it. (as the dealer was doing)

These links will really explain it better:

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

The "12 volt side of life" is an excellent link to help understand batteries and camping without shore power. It can be found at this link, or a copy downloaded from the second one:

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...do=file&id=101

These links will help you understand what a converter is, as well as the difference between an inverter:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

Hope it all helps

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:47 AM   #3

That's great, thanks. I've saved that link. I'll try to digest it a bit more.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

Actually, the dealer didn't know what he was talking about. Heater/fireplace works on my 30amp generator setup. He tried turning it on with the remote, but there's a hardwired on/off switch you have to throw first. Click image for larger version

Name:	1523485717573.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	167918
Old 04-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #5

When you use the right adapter you can power anything in the rv, including the air conditioning when connected to 30 amps. You cannot use more than 30 amps at any given time so the fireplace AND the microwave at the same time AND the AC would pop the breaker...it all works...no matter 50 or 30 amps.

My 335DS is wired for 50 amps but I only have one AC unit so if I run the hot water heater on LP, pretty much everything works. Kinda stupid to run the fireplace and the AC at the same time. (If I recall, Richard Nixon used to do that in the White House since he liked the cozy feel of a fire...in July!)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Some campers have the fireplace connected to a relay that turns it off when you use the microwave. Many electric fireplaces have a setting for flame without heat for ambiance.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

All good. I'm happy. More appropriately, SWMBO is happy

Tags
electric, electrical