Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Campfire Starter

Excited New Roo owner and New to FRF

Hello, from Eastern Iowa, I have just been introduced to your sight and have found it to be a very interesting gathering of knowledge. I wish I had found it earlier. What brought me here is my search for info on Rockwood Roo campers. We(my Fam of 5;myself, wife, two sons and daughter) just put down money on a 2011 Rockwood Roo 233S and can't wait to pick it up. It will be quite a drive, but the deal I got is well worth it, and we haven't found any Roos at any local dealers. We are scheduled to take delivery the weekend after the 4 of July.

One of the things I am most interested in is how we are going to transport our Bikes, and have found quite a bit of info here already. We are moving up from a Coleman Utah which has served us well, but have been toying with the idea of large camper for some time. We had a bike carrier on top the Utah, but on the new one I would like to carry them on the back of the TT. I am aware of the issues with mounting to the back bumper and have no plans to do so.

Anyway I look forward getting aquinted with the members of this sight to open road ahead in our new Rockwood Roo.

Doug
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great to meet you - one 233 owner to another.

There is also a Roo subforum here that has lots of specific information for our trailers.

FYI - We place the bikes in the trailer with blankets between the bikes and between bikes and couch. I eventually plan to build some braces so that they do not need to lean against each other or the couch. Seems simple and cheap. Or possibly a new Yakima roof rack ($$$).

Next week we leave for a longer trip and plan to take 5 bikes. I'll see if they actually fit tomorrow otherwise its two cars for this trip.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4dugan View Post
One of the things I am most interested in is how we are going to transport our Bikes
You might consider something like this:

RempRack - Bicycle Transportation Trailer

or this:

RempRack - Family Bicycle Rack for your Pickup Truck.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #4

Welcome and congrats!! I just the bikes in the camper by the back bunks/bathroom. I haven't had any issues.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the "Roo Kroo"!!!

as you can see, there have been a lot of new 233S owners joining the Forum.
post on the Expandable/Hybrid section here, for your Hybrid-specific questions.

as far as bikes, the best solution is on top of the TV. if you put them on the back of the trailer, you'll have to do a welded and braced hitch receiver mod, which will void your frame warranty.
many do it anyway, but just so you know.
transporting 5 bikes doesn't leave you many options. the roof rack option can accommodate 5 bikes and uses a vacant area. you can also use the roof rack for other purposes, such as cargo, skis/snowbords, kayaks and so on.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
This is actually made in Eastern Iowa -- didn't you say you were from Eastern Iowa?? Do you tow with a truck?

I am also from Eastern Iowa, always take our bikes along, and have a wife, two sons, and a daughter -- very similar situation. We tow with a Ram 1500 Quad Cab.

We've used the RempRack for several years now -- and love it! It's made in Dysart Iowa.
brempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #7

Sportsrack is making a bike support that fits on the spare tire bracket. You keep the spare tire there and it fits perfect. I had one on my flagstaff pop up trailer and I was carrying 2 bikes without problems.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Campfire Starter

Thanks for the welcome and info. Yes we from eastern iowa, any farther east and our feet would be wet. However I have not seen the remp ramp. Neat product derived, right out of necessity. I don't think it will work for me unless I were to decide to remove my tonneau cover. Not out of the question thou. Brempe I tow with a 2002 FX4 F150 SuperCab, Need a SuperCrew because the kids just don't stop growing. There getting kind of tight in the extended cab.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #9

My truck is also 2002. Wow! The simalarities! How old are the kids? Mine are 12, 10, and 7 this summer.

The remprack is brand new as an available product for 2011. So, you won't likely encounter one for a couple of years.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #10

Speaking of needing a supercrew,have you looked into the new ford ecoboost? I've been drooling over them, especially to improve mileage over my current 5.9L Dodge. But, I think I'll have to wait for a used option.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new camper!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
Campfire Starter

The boys are 13 and 11 and daughter is 7 as of this June. They are really stoked about the new camper. The boys will have a bunk as before with PUP, and the daugther is getting her own bunk(upgrade for the couch) and won't have to make those late night trips with Mom to the bathhouse. We have first big outing planned for a week in at the Dells last week in July

As for the new Fords, I to drooling over them, but will have to wait. I've been cruising the car lots, but with the purchase of the camper and a new car for the wife a couple years ago, I'll have to wait. They don't give'em away. I to will wait for the used option in a couple of years, and by them the ecoboost should really be proven out. But wow everything I have read about them leads me to believe ... "there the nuts."
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Campfire Starter

We picked up our New 2011 Rockwood Roo 233s this last weekend. Had a great weekend. Dealership was great, campground was unbelieveably nice, and the Mighigan sunset over Lake Michigan was impressive. 5.25 hr drive to pick it up and spent 2 nights in Muskegon. Hit the amusement park one day and drove back on a Sunday, 7.5 hrs coming back, Chicago traffic . Love this trailer overall. Had a couple of small issues, 1-had two screws striped out on cabinet under sink. 2-and more important the fridge doesn't seem to be cooling on the ac side. Works on gas but, not on electric. Even on gas I expected the refridge to be cooler, although the freezer is plenty cold. Contacted the Dealership and they seem real helpful, but I had to head back before they could look at it and they are going to help TS&R. Did some on TS&R my own; it is a Dometic DM2652 with automatic Temp Control, but haven't found the problem yet. Got few ideas from this site and will go out do what I can before I call the dealer back. Sounds like it might be a fuse on the AC side.

Enough downerville we love this camper!!! What an upgragde form to PopUp. We will be staying at Wisconsin Dells for the last week in July to really put it through the paces. Can't wait to start buying accessories to make it ours. Got a whole list, some with help from the members here(OK alot) and some of my own. Look foward to being a part of the Forest River Family, and if anyone has any history with fridge, let me know. Thanks Everyone, Happy Camping.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Love this trailer overall. Had a couple of small issues, 1-had two screws striped out on cabinet under sink. 2-and more important the fridge doesn't seem to be cooling on the ac side. Works on gas but, not on electric. Even on gas I expected the refridge to be cooler, although the freezer is plenty cold.

Can't wait to start buying accessories to make it ours. Got a whole list, some with help from the members here(OK alot) and some of my own. Look foward to being a part of the Forest River Family, and if anyone has any history with fridge, let me know. Thanks Everyone, Happy Camping.
From what I understand the freezer must get cold first then the coldness will work it way down to the fridge portion. Out of 10 trips I had trouble twice with my fridge getting cold.

1st time with problem: The door was not 100% tightly closed (looked closed but wasn't fully closed)

2nd time with problem: Once I turned off the auto setting and then re-selected it. Afterward the unit started getting cold. It will takes hours to get cold so try to keep the door close as much as possible. The warmer the weather is the less you can open the door without impacting the fridge temp.

It's a good idea for the service department to check things out. Now is a good time to find problems and get them fixed.

As for shopping - have fun but beware... there's go all your money!
Must say it's fun personalizing your trailer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
W-and more important the fridge doesn't seem to be cooling on the ac side. Works on gas but, not on electric. Even on gas I expected the refridge to be cooler, although the freezer is plenty cold.
x2 on giving it time to cool. Also, my 233S has a slide on the right inside the fridge. Moving it up makes it colder, too. Also, sometimes the therm wire falls out so check yours.

Quote:

Enough downerville we love this camper!!! What an upgragde form to PopUp. We will be staying at Wisconsin Dells for the last week in July to really put it through the paces.
Have fun at the Dells. I'm from WI but haven't camped there for years. We usually opted for camping at Devil's Lake and driving into the Dells.

Visit Devil's Lake if the crowds get to be too much for you. Great hiking

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Campfire Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

Have fun at the Dells. I'm from WI but haven't camped there for years. We usually opted for camping at Devil's Lake and driving into the Dells.

Visit Devil's Lake if the crowds get to be too much for you. Great hiking
Yeh we wanted to stay and Devils Lake, but when we made our Reservations they were full. We ended up at Stand Rock campground. I thinking we will go done to Devils Lake for a day and check it out and take in the Park. This will be our first time camping at the Dells. Should be a good time.