Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
Happy Camper

Expert tent campers joining the Trailer camper world

Hello everyone!
getting super excited to finally own a camper! we pick up our very first one this Friday June 21st. After lots of research and hard decisions, we finally decided on a 2020 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL.

We've been tenting it ever since we were kids - and as a young adults with two kids (7 and 9) we are excited to start this new way of camping.

My oldest says sleeping in a camper isn't "real" camping so when I told her we were getting one she wasn't excited. hoping after we pick it she'll change her mind. otherwise I said we'll keep the tent for her
CarnivoreCamper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #2

Congratulations. First night it's cold and rainy and she's sitting inside warm and dry she'll realize camping in a trailer can be just as much (or more) fun than in a tent. I still do both but prefer my camper
Draggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Happy Camper

Thanks!! I am most certain she'll fall in love with it.
As will we! I cant remember the time I was this excited to be getting something

We plan of going on big road trips out west next year.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivoreCamper87 View Post
Hello everyone!
getting super excited to finally own a camper! we pick up our very first one this Friday June 21st. After lots of research and hard decisions, we finally decided on a 2020 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL.

We've been tenting it ever since we were kids - and as a young adults with two kids (7 and 9) we are excited to start this new way of camping.

My oldest says sleeping in a camper isn't "real" camping so when I told her we were getting one she wasn't excited. hoping after we pick it she'll change her mind. otherwise I said we'll keep the tent for her
When you go camping just bring a tent for your daughter and let her stay out there . no TV no bathroom privileges , and hopefully it rains won't be long she'll be a camper fan
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

I'm with your daughter in this. Not camping unless you're sleeping under tentage. "RVing" ain't the same.

-- Chuck
Old 06-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
When you go camping just bring a tent for your daughter and let her stay out there . no TV no bathroom privileges , and hopefully it rains won't be long she'll be a camper fan
HAHAH! I did tell her we'd set the tent up for her and she could have it all to herself. we'll see
Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I'm with your daughter in this. Not camping unless you're sleeping under tentage. "RVing" ain't the same.

-- Chuck
I agree to a point! I do for sure love remote camping and "backpack" camping. We definitely like camping to get away from all the hustle and electronics.

I thinks she's worried that we'll get a TV in the camper and spend more time doing that than in "nature" which wont be the case
Old 06-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your 2020 Salem Cruise Lite 198 DBXL TT !
Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Welcome to the group. Since you stated this is your first one, this thread link below may help out somewhat, as it's a collection of common questions/answers that newer RV owners ask.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #10
bloodybill

hello and welcome
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 AM   #11
NH Maple Maker

You're going to love camping in a trailer. We started out tenting, had a couple of pop ups and then back to tenting after the roof on the last pop up failed. The last tenting vacation turned into a week where the only time it didn't rain was the last afternoon. We decided we were done camping if we didn't have something that we could stay dry in. Before the next vacation we had a 28' TT and never looked back. My present camper is a lazy man's camper with electric everything including the stabilizer jacks. We have a TV in the camper and it hardly ever gets turned on. Welcome to the forum.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #12

I remember way back when we camped with our 1st hard top, 6 sleeper, camper. Our 3 kids wanted their own apartments so we indulged them and got 3 tents. More room for the wife and I and the 2 Bouvier dogs we had back then, lol. Now they all have their own trailers and their kids like the camper lifestyle. Our 35 ft 5th wheel is "only comfortable for two".
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Tell her it's not camping. It's much better.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #14

I am with your daughter on this too. I've gotten lazy though. We have pulled in to camp during a rainstorm, went to bed & setup in the morning.

Enjoy your new TT.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #15
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhd1997 View Post
You're going to love camping in a trailer. We started out tenting, had a couple of pop ups and then back to tenting after the roof on the last pop up failed. The last tenting vacation turned into a week where the only time it didn't rain was the last afternoon. We decided we were done camping if we didn't have something that we could stay dry in. Before the next vacation we had a 28' TT and never looked back. My present camper is a lazy man's camper with electric everything including the stabilizer jacks. We have a TV in the camper and it hardly ever gets turned on. Welcome to the forum.
I know we will too! we almost went with a pop up. but I am glad we decided on something bigger. we have 8 trips planned already for this summer.

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL
2019 F-150 STX 4X4 Super cab 3.5EB.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #16
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
I am with your daughter on this too. I've gotten lazy though. We have pulled in to camp during a rainstorm, went to bed & setup in the morning.

Enjoy your new TT.
I am with her to a point as well. I still do love camping at remote sites and also back packing. maybe we'll do more of that when the kids get a little older.
thank you

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL
2019 F-150 STX 4X4 Super cab 3.5EB.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #17

My wife and I just bought this same unit and recently got back from our shakedown trip. All went very well considering I had never towed ANYTHING before we bought this. It's a little intimidating, but the camper itself works great for my family of 3. Only discovered a few very minor things for the dealer to correct after those first couple nights.
FrankH35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #18

It doesn't matter if you are in an rv, a tent or on the trail with a hammock hung between two trees. As long as you are with the kids it's the experience they will remember not what they slept on or in. Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #19

Welcome, we came from a similar situation. Tent campers 40+ years and decided to purchase a PUP. Our 8 Year old grandson was very concerned that we weren't real campers anymore until he saw the PUP in our driveway and now he can't wait to go camping with us.
ADKdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, tent camper, trailer