Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Feeling the Vibe

Hello all, we recently purchased our first TT this past spring. Picked up a new Vibe 6504. I grew up camping and thought it was time for our girls to experience it as well. So far so good three trips this year for a total of 8 nights, and no major issues! Going to try and squeeze in one more trip soon.

I look forward to spending some time here and learning all I can from you professional campers. I've been a member for a couple of months now so I've gotten familiar with the site....lurking I guess you call it!

This is a pic from our 2nd trip which was at Hungry Mother SP in VA.

Coal is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum !
Come often and stay long !
Chime in when you can !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum...

I grew up in VA near Roanoke, I haven't been to Hungry Mother in a LONG, LONG time. Your Vette pull that Vibe ok? LOL
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
Welcome to the forum...

I grew up in VA near Roanoke, I haven't been to Hungry Mother in a LONG, LONG time. Your Vette pull that Vibe ok? LOL
The jack scrapes a little but other than that yeah...LOL! TV is actually a Sierra and no it's not the best pulling camper. Without the friction sway bar tightened more than it should be the camper is like a fly swatter swaying behind....kinda of unnerving really.

Hungry Mother is a nice park we enjoyed it. Camped at Burson, which seemed more pleasing to us than the spots inside the park. Planning on going back next year. 30 some outlaws I mean in-laws were there so it was a good time and plenty of good food!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Welcome to the forum !
Come often and stay long !
Chime in when you can !

Turbs
Right now I have more questions than answers....seems like a good place to hangout. I'll definitely chime in when I can.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #6

I have a v-nose too, a little longer and heavier than yours. I added a second friction sway bar to my set up. Works a lot better. It will do until Uncle Sam sends me some "stimulus" money for a better hitch.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #7

Also have a v- nose. A V-Cross 28 vbh. We use the equalizer wdh and tows pretty well. Congratulations on the new tt.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv campers View Post
Also have a v- nose. A V-Cross 28 vbh. We use the equalizer wdh and tows pretty well. Congratulations on the new tt.
Supposedly to get the e-2 wdh on they have to take the trailer off frame?? Factory is putting them on now prior to delivery....must be others with this problem? I don't know, but I'm going to keep what I got and think about the wdh right now.

What part of WV you from, we're in Beckley.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
I have a v-nose too, a little longer and heavier than yours. I added a second friction sway bar to my set up. Works a lot better. It will do until Uncle Sam sends me some "stimulus" money for a better hitch.
I should have known better than getting a single axle, with all the storage in the back of the camper. We put as much gear in front and truck bed as possible. Still learning may go with the 2nd friction bar couldn't be any worse!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal is King

Supposedly to get the e-2 wdh on they have to take the trailer off frame?? Factory is putting them on now prior to delivery....must be others with this problem? I don't know, but I'm going to keep what I got and think about the wdh right now.

What part of WV you from, we're in Beckley.
We are in the eastern panhandle. Hedgesville
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #11

I've never been up to that part of the state, my sister resided in Martinsburg for a short period, she had nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #12

I have a vibe 6501, a little lighter then yours, i use a E2 wdh and I am having no problem with sway. The dealer had to weld the bracket to the frame for mine as it was an early 2012 and they told him they had to raise the body off the frame which he was not about to do.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #13

Yeah that's what I dont want is mine lifted off the frame. Could you post a pic of the bracket welded to the frame. I could show to my dealer, who is insisting the only way is to lift off frame. He also mentioned the wdh will put more weight on the rear of the trailer countering my goal of less sway.....? That almost made since to me.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #14

I'm not sure about putting weight on the back. Some weight will be transfered to the trailer axel. I don't have my tailer at home, I will try to get a picture this weekend. Do you know what the hitch weight is? I know the 6501 has a higher percentage of tongue weight because the battery, propane water heater and furnace are all at the front of the trailer.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal is King View Post
He also mentioned the wdh will put more weight on the rear of the trailer countering my goal of less sway.....? That almost made since to me.
A WDH will put some of the tongue weight on the TV front axle. Adding weight to the front axle helps with steering, that floating feeling you get when the front is too light.

The object is for the TV to be back at or as close to the same height front and back as it is without the TT hooked up. And for the TT to be as level as possible.

I suppose a little (Very Little) of the tongue weight could be moved to the back if your gaining lift in the front of the TT. But the benefits of moving the weight to the front axle, far out weight the small amount of possible weight moved to the back.

Do what you think is best, but a WDH is a safety thing and he is moron for even suggesting it would cause more sway....
Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I'm not sure about putting weight on the back. Some weight will be transfered to the trailer axel. I don't have my tailer at home, I will try to get a picture this weekend. Do you know what the hitch weight is? I know the 6501 has a higher percentage of tongue weight because the battery, propane water heater and furnace are all at the front of the trailer.
Brochure states the hitch weight at 295lbs., bathroom is up front on the 6504, pluses that's where we put our clothes and one of the tubs of food. Next trip will try to arrange even more there....I believe that is the right train of thought.

No rush on the pic, I appreciate the info.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
WDH is a safety thing and he is moron for even suggesting it would cause more sway....
Exactly what I thought, I was speaking to a service guy so you know the saying do you want a genius or someone that can turn a wrench.....can't always have both. Anyway thanks for the info I am leaning toward this if I can convince them not to take the trailer off frame to install.