Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Final first post, and issues

Hi all,

I've been meaning to do this welcome mat post for about month now, but just never seemed get around to it.

The Wife and I have camped in trailers before back in our teen years with our respective families, but we just recently got our first trailer together to take the kids out camping. A 2012 Flagstaff 29QBSS. Buying a new last year's model seemed the best option as it was about 1/3 off the MSRP, but had no wear and tear.

Now to the issues part. Before even taking it out for our first weekend, I've caused wear and tear.

We were looking to spend some time stocking the trailer, putting away dishes and whatnot and it was a particularly hot day. So not thinking, despite having read otherwise on this site, I turned on the AC and we went to catch a movie. Came back to find the garage breaker had blown (trailer's plugged into the garage) and the first thing I realized was that yes, I was dumb, I wasn't supposed to run the AC when plugged in 15amp. I get it, I made a mistake.

Went into the trailer, turned off the AC, reset the garage breaker, everything seemed fine. Now that night, while we're stocking, I go to turn on the bathroom light, and it's not working. Check the bulbs, yep, they're fine, even have continuity. Check the fuses, yep, they're fine, have continuity, Check the Create-A-Breeze, other near by lights, the GFI even though they're 12v lights, etc... Everything's working fine.

So now, since I'm new to this, I don't know what could be wrong. I haven't been back out to check for power in the fixture yet, but what should I be looking for if the bulbs are good, the fuses are good, and everything else works but this one light doesn't?

Thanks,

Mike
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Now that night, while we're stocking, I go to turn on the bathroom light, and it's not working. Check the bulbs, yep, they're fine, even have continuity. Check the fuses, yep, they're fine, have continuity, Check the Create-A-Breeze, other near by lights, the GFI even though they're 12v lights, etc... Everything's working fine. Mike
This one "should" be easy. In my camper the bathroom ceiling fan and the ceiling light (and the vanity lights for that matter) are all on the same wall switch. One of my early mods was to put in a double wall switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 038.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	31053  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum! I would start at the garage outlet. What voltage did you plug the trailer into? When you reset the breaker in the garage, did the A/C come on?
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

As to the air conditioner, it needs about 15 amps to run BY ITSELF.

Turn off all the other items in your camper and put the fridge on propane and you "should" be able to run the AC. (PROVIDED you are not using a 15 volt extension cord to get to the camper)

Try to plug the camper's cord with an adapter RIGHT INTO the wall outlet if possible so there is no voltage loss on the way to the camper.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Herk:

The switch is in the fixture. Standard old-school overhead 12v lights.

Doc:

I've got power from garage to unit, every other 12v light is working, the tv (on AC only) works, microwave clock works, etc..... Just that one Overhead light. I'd assume burnt out bulbs, if it wasn't for the fact the bulbs have continuity.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
As to the air conditioner, it needs about 15 amps to run BY ITSELF.

Turn off all the other items in your camper and put the fridge on propane and you "should" be able to run the AC. (PROVIDED you are not using a 15 volt extension cord to get to the camper)

Try to plug the camper's cord with an adapter RIGHT INTO the wall outlet if possible so there is no voltage loss on the way to the camper.

Lou, I am surprised you are suggesting those adapters. I don't think they are of great quality.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

To Herk#2:

Yes, I've got it on a 15 amp extension cord, but it's a construction grade that I used to use to power my garage fridge and upright freezer before I moved them.

And I've learned my lesson, Don't run the AC in the driveway.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
To Herk#2:

Yes, I've got it on a 15 amp extension cord, but it's a construction grade that I used to use to power my garage fridge and upright freezer before I moved them.

And I've learned my lesson, Don't run the AC in the driveway.
I run the A/C in the driveway quite a bit. But, nothing else in the camper can be on and I have it relatively close to the power supply with a heavy gauge extension cord. I do it because it is already hot as haties down here in SC. Once it cools down a bit, then I turn it off to load up, stock, etc.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Herk: The switch is in the fixture. Standard old-school overhead 12v lights.
Do you also have a wall switch? My ceiling light also has a rocker switch on it. BOTH have to be ON for the light to work in my camper.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #10

You should consider putting a 30 amp plug and circuit near where you plan on parking your trailer. I've done that a couple of times and it makes the whole process much simpler.

Congrats on the new trailer. Enjoy!
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Do you also have a wall switch? My ceiling light also has a rocker switch on it. BOTH have to be ON for the light to work in my camper.
X2 on the wall switch. I have to have mine on in the bathroom for the light to work.

Same way with one of my living room overhead lights. If it's wall switch isn't on, it won't matter what I do with the switch on the light itself. However, I have to make sure the wall switch is on, and the overhead light switch is also on for it to work.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, no wall switch, just the one on the fixture. I even check the interior lights one by the door (next to the porch light switch) that operates the one over the dinette, but that made no difference.

And yes, I would like a 30 amp plug to be available but I'm not 100% sure if I'm leaving the trailer in the driveway, where I have to rip out those umbrella trees you decapitate each year before they grow into the trailer, or build a driveway on the other side of the lot so the trailer doesn't block the garage.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Nope, no wall switch, just the one on the fixture.
Hmmm, that's odd. You would think there would be one on the wall, maybe right near the toilet when you walk in.

It makes you wonder if someone was "supposed" to put in a switch, but without having your particular trailer that is pure speculation.

Maybe someone who has this particular model will read this and chime in.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so now I feel a fool, but I did figure out the problem. Turns out the single switch on the wall, which the dealer said was for the Create-A-Breeze during the PDI, works the fan AND the light. Apparently during my initial testing when I confirmed it switched the fan on/off I didn't check if turning it on AND the fixture on was the problem. I thought I had but apparently not.

Going back to Herk's initial post it now makes more sense what you were referring two about dual switches. I may have to look into that so the missus doesn't confuse me again.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Going back to Herk's initial post it now makes more sense what you were referring two about dual switches. I may have to look into that so the missus doesn't confuse me again.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

This is Herk taking a bow.... If you need help with the wiring I will be happy to fill you in on what I did. Here is "about" what I did: Camping Life with Matt: Trailer Mod - Bathroom Light Fan Switch

Still looking for the actual switch I used (found it on eBay) but:

RV 12 Volt Wall Light Switch Cargo Trailer Van Double | eBay

http://www.fishhousesupply.com/12vlights.htm

No luck and I searched quite a bit.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks,

A quick perusal of the Dealer's "Conveniently added with trailer purchase and conveniently missing prices" parts catalog show they carry JR Products switches. Though I don't think I'll be doing this mod anytime soon. Despite knowing what I'm doing, I'm pretty sure the missus would be upset about me tinkering with the new trailer before we even use it.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the missus would be upset about me tinkering with the new trailer before we even use it.
WHAT!!!!!!!! You better get that trailer on it's maiden voyage fast then. There is no way you'll be a member here long before you start reading about (and implementing) all kind of modifications and improvements to your RV.

Make absolutely sure you NEVER click on this link:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hts-23039.html

Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm definitely not going to be doing any mods anytime soon. I just received notice today from the township that I've exceed the 14 days per year allotment for loading and unloading of a trailer and I have to get my trailer off my property by this weekend.

Of course I've never heard of any such bylaw and searching the town's bylaws online is turning up nothing, but I've been told get it off the property or else fines will be levied.

Anyone have any experience with storing trailers at those self store places? Are they safe?

Mike
Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Well, I'm definitely not going to be doing any mods anytime soon. I just received notice today from the township that I've exceed the 14 days per year allotment for loading and unloading of a trailer and I have to get my trailer off my property by this weekend.

Of course I've never heard of any such bylaw and searching the town's bylaws online is turning up nothing, but I've been told get it off the property or else fines will be levied.

Anyone have any experience with storing trailers at those self store places? Are they safe?

Mike
Good grief! Whose palm do you have to grease in YOUR township?