Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #1

Finally! (2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s)

I'm happy to find this forum, but even happier to finally have a camper I don't have to pop up, worry about rain before I leave, and it's got what I need. Best of all, I can tow it. (2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s) I love that it's 4 season as my kids live in other states.
No more worry if a motel takes pets, trying to find a pet sitter, not wanting to be a burden, or feeling trapped at home. Freedom!
As this is the first time I'm pulling something this big, I'd appreciate any tips on towing anyone wants to share...
I learned the hard way to make WIDE turns...
next? (The brakes work with my tow vehicle very well-impressive!)
I bought my 4Runner new in 2008, and it only has 50,000 miles on it, so I didn't want to have to buy a new vehicle too! I'm just making due with a 6 cylinder. I can really feel it on steep hills though. I've managed steep, twisty roads. I'm just not sure is I should take it slow (and let people pass when I see a good place to pull over) or gas it and make it go, or use a lower gear?
I've only pulled a pop-up and a boat before now.
Help?
GimpyD
GimpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #2

Welcome from SW OHIO 1 Enjoy your RV !
Old 01-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

Ozarks.........aha! Not far away!

There's no good answer, you'll learn what to do. And you'll figure out if your tow vehicle is big and powerful enough or not. But you probably will find a different one someday!!! Just sayin'...

It's easier to tow and stop in flat land than in the Ozarks. But it's sure pretty up there. Just enjoy best you can and you'll figure it out soon enough. There's only about a billion campsites in 100 miles of ya!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

Welcome, Congrats on your new rig.
Have fun and Happy Camping from Farmer NC
Old 01-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Welcome and congrats on the new Mini-Lite. Don't want to burst your bubble, but Mini-Lites are 3 season trailers not 4. Don't want to be camping in them using the water lines below freezing!
Enjoy your new 2109S, lots of good times ahead!!

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #8

Welcome to the Forum from the Triad in NC! We bought our 2017 2109s in June and so far have taken it to the beach (Wilmington, NC) and camped a lot in the backyard. We love the floor plan. We pull ours with a full size 2016 Dodge Ram (crew cab and short box) with a HEMI V8 and it pulls like a dream. We use it in the backyard for a spare room for company, but we did winterize it so all hygiene tasks must be done in the house. We are planning a 2 week trip to North Dakota to see family this summer so that will really be a true test of our "Turtle". Again, welcome to the site, and happy camping!

Gary and Carol
2017 Rockwood 2109s
2016 Dodge Ram 1500
cuselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #9

Welcome!

We haven't yet purchased our 2109S, waiting for funds. But we plan on towing it with our 2005 Tacoma with tow package initially.

I plan on getting a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway and install a brake controller.

We have an automatic transmission and I've been told to always use 4th gear (unless lower is needed) and not to tow in 5th. Also, you can save over 300 lbs by not filling your fresh water tank until you're at or near your destination. Seems logical.

Congratulations!

doulos
Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #10

You are right about that! It will be much easier to up and go this way! The first thing I did was stress I want to be able to pull it with my 4Runner. I feel they didn't do much to help me look. This was in the showroom, had heated tanks and a furnace-musts for me. But the next week there was a smaller one set up in the showroom. I really love the camper, but wish I had 8 cylinders. Really like the gas grill that attaches under the awning, and the shower looks big enough. I probably won't find worse driving conditions, so I guess these roads are a good training ground. I'm going to get a rear camera for sure. I've done my time behind sloooow campers in these hills. I just hate to be the culprit! Thanks!
Old 01-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #11

Oh so true! No water in the tanks. I do have the tow package and the weight equalizer and sway bar-they threw that in. Since it's prewired for camera and solar do you have suggestions for panels? I got an adapter that lets me use regular solar panels. Zamp reverses polarity. As for a back up camera, it's prewired, so I guess I could use any camera/monitor, but...I've never bought or shopped for either of these products. Monocrystal or polycrystal, portable or just a 100w panel and extension cord. I have a gas generator, but it's big and heavy. Hopefully I'll find plenty of places with hookups. I wonder how long my propane will last using the furnace...I've got an oil filled electric heater that heated a large bedroom that I think will help a lot as long as I have electric hookups. If all else fails the mattress is heated, lol. I wonder how that works. So many questions...come on spring!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #12

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

There's no good answer, you'll learn what to do. And you'll figure out if your tow vehicle is big and powerful enough or not. But you probably will find a different one someday!!! Just sayin'...

It's easier to tow and stop in flat land than in the Ozarks. But it's sure pretty up there. Just enjoy best you can and you'll figure it out soon enough. There's only about a billion campsites in 100 miles of ya!
A different camper or tow vehicle? Both?
Yup. Probably. I want a real live RV someday...but it's just me so a small trailer is plenty for me and the grandkids!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #14

Finally! (2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s)

GimpyD,

When we get our 2109s we're going with this camera:

Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010XWNFOM..._si.Iyb1QZTSXE

Best price I can find. Comes with bracket and cable that you don't need but still the best price.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #15

Thank you!

I'm glad I found this site...better late than never!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
GimpyD,

When we get our 2109s we're going with this camera:

Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010XWNFOM..._si.Iyb1QZTSXE

Best price I can find. Comes with bracket and cable that you don't need but still the best price.
Thank you! That looks a lot like the one it's pre wired for...but it's wireless-I thought it said. Oh! To the tow vehicle! Der!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

So true! I'll venture through some flatlands on the way to see my son in CO...
Old 01-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyD View Post
Thank you! That looks a lot like the one it's pre wired for...but it's wireless-I thought it said. Oh! To the tow vehicle! Der!
Yes it is. It's the observation version too so you can use it while driving. Makes lane changes a lot safer!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
Thank you! So glad to finally "belong" in the hookup sites! I was talking with some campers having a great time when they said how mad it made them that tent campers take up spots. I pointed to my tent in the handicap site (one of them) I can't walk to Cary tents out in a field. I got a pass. Awkward!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
Thank you! I can hardly wait!

Tags
rockwood, lite, 210, rockwood mini lite, 2109s