Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

Finally! We're going on a looooong road trip!

Hello from Hood River, Oregon.

We bought our r-pod "Bommel" 3 years ago and, because we had two kids in the meantime, we didn't do many trips yet with it.

Now we're going out for a long trip through the US, a little bit of CA, then Mexico, Central America, South America. At least that's the plan. We'll see how it really goes with the two kiddos.

Here are more details around the plan: We're preparing for a trip of a lifetime - Picturing the Americas

I'd love to hear from others who have taken their r-pod around the Americas or are travelling with kids in an r-pod.

Cheers,
Inge

Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you talked to US state dept about safety of a trip like that??

30 years ago I would have been all over a trip like that but now we're
afraid to even go to Mexico.
We're sponsors of a young girl in Columbia but the non-profit that runs the charity is pulling out due to danger to their workers.

Be careful out there!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

We will be careful! Thank you :-)

Old 04-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Stay safe as mentioned traveling now days to other country's is non to safe. There is lots to see here in the USA. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #5

I envy you and wish you luck and safe travels. However I would never put young children's lives at risk by traveling with them in parts of the world you plan to go to. I agree with aceinspp that there is a lifetime of of things to experience right here in the USA.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

Wishing you the best of luck. Like others, worried about the safety aspect for you and your family. There are awesome places in the States that are far safer for travelers, but regardless, enjoy your trip
Old 04-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Planning a big road-trip around the US ourselves (leave in the summer), since there's so much we want to see. (esp. since we're not originally from US).

Agree with concern about safety in some south-american countries, but putting that aside for a minute ...
I'm interested to hear where you're planning on staying. I was interested in doing a Mexico trip (never been there), but found very few campgrounds online, since I guess that the popularity of RVs etc haven't spread south of the border. Most I could find online were really just gravel parking lots in a rough neighborhood.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #8

Hi y'all,

Thanks so much for all your responses!

@aceinspp, you said 'traveling now days to other country's is non to safe. There is lots to see here in the USA'.

I am from 'another country'. I am from Germany. And from a German perspective it is really unsafe in the US. People are running around with guns on the streets. Kids have to walk through metal detectors in schools because there are guns in schools. There are shootings in schools all the time. In cinemas. And there are an awful lot of people shot or tasered by police for no reason at all. There are people shot by 2 or 3 year olds with a weapon that they found somewhere.
That doesn't happen in Germany. People in Germany have told me to please, please be save in the US, because it's so dangerous here. Friends were scared and would never consider moving to the US.
I've done it and I've met so many lovely people here. I lived in Spanish Harlem and Brooklyn and even Alphabet City in New York City. I've lived in San Francisco too and now I'm in a small town.

I know that there are many reports of bad things happening in Mexico and Columbia. I've been to all countries of Central America except Panama by now. I've lived 6 months in Mexico. I was in Nicaragua and Guatemala. And I can tell you from my experience that the less people own, the more welcoming they are.

So, I'm thankful that you worry about our safety because **** can happen everywhere. I just saw a guy who dropped of his son at daycare and he was wearing a gun on his belt. That terrified me, you have no idea.

We'll take care and watch out for risks. But we're not staying 'at home' because we're scared to meet the unknown. At home is a place in my heart since I've moved 28 times in my whole life and don't go back 'home' to a physical place, or where my parents live. I've never lived where my parents live.

Anyway, that's my way of living. Everyone is different

Old 04-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Planning a big road-trip around the US ourselves (leave in the summer), since there's so much we want to see. (esp. since we're not originally from US).

Agree with concern about safety in some south-american countries, but putting that aside for a minute ...
I'm interested to hear where you're planning on staying. I was interested in doing a Mexico trip (never been there), but found very few campgrounds online, since I guess that the popularity of RVs etc haven't spread south of the border. Most I could find online were really just gravel parking lots in a rough neighborhood.

Hi leefl,

Check out this really good blog post about campgrounds in Mexico: Camping Baja | The Next Big Adventure
That's just about Baja but I am sure, there are many other nice places to stay too. I'm hopeful that travelers that we meet will be able to give us some good tips too.

Cheers,
Inge

Old 04-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge View Post
Hi y'all,

Thanks so much for all your responses...
Thanks for the clarification. It is enlightening, and perhaps somewhat embarrassing to me as an American, to hear your perspective. Safe travels!

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Welcome to the forum and your trip sounds awesome! Have fun and just remember we like pics, lots and lots of pics! LOL!

On a side note what part of Germany? My DW was born and raised in Bavaria about 30 mins east of Munich. Beautiful beautiful area!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #12

@Teamfour No need for that embarrassment. Point of View can have so many different angles.

@DreiHunde I've lived close to Duesseldorf and in Freiburg (that's the most south-western city in Germany). Bavaria is indeed beautiful.

Where do you post pictures in this forum?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #13

Oh and thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome!

Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #14

Finally! We're going on a looooong road trip!

I loved Germany when I was stationed there in the 1980s. I lived in Sembach Germany. Traveled all over Europe while over there. Of course when I was there the country was still split but I did visit Berlin and visited the east side. I told my wife that someday I would take her back to the places I lived and saw there.

I'd like to visit the places I couldn't because travel was not allowed.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #15

Enjoy it Inge !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge View Post
Hi y'all,

Thanks so much for all your responses!

@aceinspp, you said 'traveling now days to other country's is non to safe. There is lots to see here in the USA'.

I am from 'another country'. I am from Germany. And from a German perspective it is really unsafe in the US. People are running around with guns on the streets. Kids have to walk through metal detectors in schools because there are guns in schools. There are shootings in schools all the time. In cinemas. And there are an awful lot of people shot or tasered by police for no reason at all. There are people shot by 2 or 3 year olds with a weapon that they found somewhere.
That doesn't happen in Germany. People in Germany have told me to please, please be save in the US, because it's so dangerous here. Friends were scared and would never consider moving to the US.
I've done it and I've met so many lovely people here. I lived in Spanish Harlem and Brooklyn and even Alphabet City in New York City. I've lived in San Francisco too and now I'm in a small town.

I know that there are many reports of bad things happening in Mexico and Columbia. I've been to all countries of Central America except Panama by now. I've lived 6 months in Mexico. I was in Nicaragua and Guatemala. And I can tell you from my experience that the less people own, the more welcoming they are.

So, I'm thankful that you worry about our safety because **** can happen everywhere. I just saw a guy who dropped of his son at daycare and he was wearing a gun on his belt. That terrified me, you have no idea.

We'll take care and watch out for risks. But we're not staying 'at home' because we're scared to meet the unknown. At home is a place in my heart since I've moved 28 times in my whole life and don't go back 'home' to a physical place, or where my parents live. I've never lived where my parents live.

Anyway, that's my way of living. Everyone is different

I am happy to see you taking time for this ! What a great time with your kids and educational experience. Very nice and great memories.

I see a Rpod as a trailer , good choice, small and lightweight and Toyota should be easy to find service. I would make sure I have a couple spares for the trailer mounted on rims and tools to change tires. Being a third world type environment i would pack spare fluids for your truck as well, go to a extreme maintenance schedule to keep things running well.
You can only make the area you in as safe as you want to make it. Being from a more or less peaceful country of Canada I share your fear of some situations as described. I have traveled Europe, Australia and China and always felt safe.

Safe Travels, please do up a blog and post a link here. Would be to share your trip if only from the sidelines.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post

Welcome to the forum and your trip sounds awesome! Have fun and just remember we like pics, lots and lots of pics! LOL!

On a side note what part of Germany? My DW was born and raised in Bavaria about 30 mins east of Munich. Beautiful beautiful area!!

If I recall correctly (it's been 12 years now) 30 minutes east of Munich would be just around Landshut. Used to go by there on the way to Dingolfing back in the day.

It does bring back memories. I hope to one day bring my DW to show her the places I've seen like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #18
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If I recall correctly (it's been 12 years now) 30 minutes east of Munich would be just around Landshut. Used to go by there on the way to Dingolfing back in the day.

It does bring back memories. I hope to one day bring my DW to show her the places I've seen like that.

Yep! She was born south east of there near Rosenheim ! I guess I should have said 45 mins or so ! !

Small world!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Yep! She was born south east of there near Rosenheim ! I guess I should have said 45 mins or so ! !

Small world!

Looks like we were both right, Rosenheim would be straight south of Landshut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1460501600.099988.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	104696

But we're highjacking, we should get back to welcoming the OP!

Old 04-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #20
(Dry Huunday)

Yea I'm really interested in watching their trip South! Unique idea on here!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express