Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

First time owner

Just bought a Cherokee 304bh in a campground in RI.The plan is to keep it there and use it in the summer when we retire to FL for the winter next year.Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated--had a pro winterize just to be safe!
kevmo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #2

you did not mention the age or the condition of the camper...

suggestions would probably start with replacing the tires if they are 4 or more years past the date coded on the tire side wall... also have a NON-camper service provider look at the wheels, brakes and bearings and at the very least re-pack the bearings... you DO NOT need a RV dealer, you do need a tire repair place that does that type of work ALL THE TIME...

Get the age and condition up here for more appropriate suggestions...

Good luck with retirement coming up!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new purchase. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

Age and condition

It's a 2014 in like new condition.it went from the dealer to a campground for 2 years and then to its present campground--never been on the road.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Multi-Slacker

from Southern California. Congratulations on your TT purchase.

Tires deteriorate more from age than they do from usage. Have the tires examined by a good tire shop if you are going to drive the TT. If you are going to haul it around then, as previously said, have the axle bearings repacked, seals replaced and brake checked. I assume that you checked out all the other systems before purchasing?

Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #7

Question

Not planning on hauling it anywhere,Close to the beach for my wife and plenty of nearby golf courses for me.Just looking for tips on general maintenance for a stationary unit--should I buy tire covers or how often should the roof be checked--simple things I might overlook.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
Multi-Slacker

If it is not going to be moved then you might want to consider putting up on blocks, Put a good preservative on the tires and put tire covers over them. Not knowing what kind of roof you have makes it difficult to say much about it other be sure and inspect it carefully before winter and then again in the spring. Seal anything that even looks aged, cracked or otherwise less than perfect. Same goes for window seals. Give some thought to the need for rodent exclusion/protection.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo52 View Post
Just bought a Cherokee 304bh in a campground in RI.The plan is to keep it there and use it in the summer when we retire to FL for the winter next year.Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated--had a pro winterize just to be safe!

Are you leaving it in RI when you retire next year to use on return visits or are you going to tow it to FL when you retire next year? If you're going to take it to FL even to put on a seasonal site there, I would definitely replace the tires, repack bearings & check/adjust the brakes.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #10

SO it appears you will seasonally use it where it sits, and then leave it there for the winter while you go to FL???

I looked up a 304bh and it appears to be a 5th wheel with a rubber roof according to FR features page...

If it is not going to be moved I would cover the tires after using a rubber protection product on them. You never know when you might have to move it.

First you will have to determine if it is a TPO roof or EDPM...

this video will help

https://youtu.be/KL5qJw397Rc

then you can look up the various maintenance products for that type of roof.

I might point out that water intrusion thru the roof is the single biggest problem that you face... and you are probably OVERDUE for a roof inspection and maintenance.

I personally have used Eternabond tape to tape over all seams, front back and sides so that I can almost forget about roof maintenance problems caused by UV exposure/cracking caulk and incursion of water from rain into the roof and walls.

You can find more information about Eternabond tape by searching this forum or by visiting the Eternabond website.

After a roof shampoo, I would also use some UV protection product on the roof to protect the membrane a bit.
I hope this helps some

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info--video was very helpful also.The RV park is closed until April,so I should have a busy spring.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:

Howdy kevmo52, and welcome aboard. Since you stated you are a first time owner, the following may be helpful in your RV edumucation.

The below is a copy and paste, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.

You can just peruse at your leisure:

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1527599

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

And the newest additions to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders... as well as how the automatic propane changeover regulator works:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1649595

Also if you ever add a 30 amp outlet at your house, print out the following pdf.. Make sure you or your electrician know that this is a 120 volt outlet ONLY:

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:56 PM   #13

Thanks,I'll have all winter to bone up on RV maintenance and look forward to spring.Love hearing different views on the thread.I've heard dryer sheets and fresh cab for mice.Used both to be on the safe side.We bought the trailer on a Saturday and the park closed on Sunday.Looking to spend our first night in our new home.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #14

One other seemingly stupid question--when hooked up to city water at the campground,is there a bypass valve from the fresh water tank and do you recommend using a water pressure regulator?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
One other seemingly stupid question--when hooked up to city water at the campground,is there a bypass valve from the fresh water tank and do you recommend using a water pressure regulator?
Not bypass but check valve

Yes, get pressure regulator
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the info--video was very helpful also.The RV park is closed until April,so I should have a busy spring.

Does this mean you can't enter the park to check on your TT over the winter?
If not, is the time you're allowed in restricted? You could take a nice mild weekend day to crawl in, around & on top of the TT to check, inspect & learn.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #17
Canadian Member

Welcome to the forum kevmo52. Congrats on your new-to-you camper and your upcoming retirement.

I agree with CurtPutnam’s post below. Make sure the roof is clean and the sealant on all the seams and roof penetrations (vents, skylight, antenna) are in good condition. Consider applying Eternabond tape next year when it gets warmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
If it is not going to be moved then you might want to consider putting up on blocks, Put a good preservative on the tires and put tire covers over them. Not knowing what kind of roof you have makes it difficult to say much about it other be sure and inspect it carefully before winter and then again in the spring. Seal anything that even looks aged, cracked or otherwise less than perfect. Same goes for window seals. Give some thought to the need for rodent exclusion/protection.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time