Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
John Schaefer

First time owner ?s

just purchased 2015 Coachman Freelander 28QB. Got very brief overview from dealer that left me with more questions than answers.

Plumbing related ?s:

There are 2 t-valves on drivers side under chassis. I believe these are the gray and black water drain/flush valves. There is also a t-valve under chassis on passenger side.What is the passenger side t-valve used for?

On the drivers side there are 2 water hose connections. One is labeled City Water so that is understood. The other is not labeled. Is this unlabeled connection for filling/flushing gray water tank? Black water tank?

I've seen some advice on fresh water tank sanitization that suggest pouring bleach solution into hose connected to city water connection on RV then turning water on to push solution into tank as I fill it up. Is there no way to just access the fresh water tank and pour the solution directly into tank?

TV/DVD ?: I can use both when connected to external power and when generator is running. Is there any way to use TV when on the road? My TV/DVD gets no power when on the road. What am I missing?

First trip coming up in a few days. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from first trip!!
Johnjschaeferjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

First off welcome to the forum from Ontario and congratulations on your new rig.

Your questions would be easier to answer with pictures. Your rig is a year old so all the stickers and labels should still be afixed. These are good questions for your dealer.

1. Industry standard that sanitation plumbing is off the drivers side, answers the first two t handles, now the one on the passenger, good question unless it it the low point drain for winterizing.
2. Is the cap a screw on/off cap, then would be the fresh water tank fill, if it is a plastic "female" ended connection which would accept a garden hose then I would say it is the black tank flush.
3. Yes you need to sanitize the fresh water tank, generally accepted practise is with bleach. Take 1/4 cup in 2 gallon pail and pour into fresh water tank and fill with water. When doing this take out your cartridge for your water filter if supplied. All the plumbing lines in an Rv join together after the the filter and water pump so you are in fact sanitizing the tank and lines. Close off the water heater line in as it does not need to be done. Run all the facets, when done dump remaing water in fresh water tank and fill again with clean water and run through the system to flush the bleach.
4. TV and such while driving, not sure on thids one, I have a TT and no one gets the opportunity to watch a movie when we are on the road.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
John Schaefer

Thanks for the reply. Was able to sanitize the tank/lines by pouring bleach solution into hose and then connect hose and start water flow. I've yet to find a screw off cap on the fresh water tank which would make this task much easier.

The TV/DVD problem was resolved yesterday. Runs great when on shore power or generator power. Others have suggested it is ok to run generator when on the road.

Having some black water flush problems. Likely operator based. The gray water flushed as soon as I opened the T-valve on drivers side. Flushed tank and lines several times after sanitizing using the fill fresh water, open all faucets, opening gray water valve when it showed 2/3 full on the indicator panel. So closed the gray water valve, added some water through toilet flushing until black water indicator showed full and when opened the black water t-valve. Nothing happens - no water flow. I must be missing a step.

I've seen some RV videos that show an active water flow into black tank using hose or wand. I'm going to try this today. All I can think of is that the black water tank and pipe are not capable of gravity draining. Black tank has never been used - just practicing before our first trip.

Jack
Johnjschaeferjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time