Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #1

First time RV owner!!!

Hello everyone!! My husband and I just put our order in for our very first RV and I cannot wait to get my hot little hands on it! Up until now, we were tent campers and after a HOT Coke 600 in Charlotte, we decided it was time to start looking for something to make our Nascar trips a little more comfortable. We took a trip to the RV show here in Pittsburgh and absolutely fell in love with the Rockwood ROO 21DK. It is the perfect size for what we need and what we can tow. I have been looking around on the forums reading and just trying to learn as much as possible. One thing I was hoping to get some help with was what comes with your trailer?? Electric hook up? Water hoses? Fire extinguisher?? I'm sure all these answers are somewhere and I just completely read past them! I've spent days online reading and I think my eyes are about to pop out of my head! I appreciate any advice given, and I'm so excited to become apart of this great community! Love!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #2

Welcome!

You've come to the right forum to glean information about your new lifestyle...there are incredibly knowledgeable folks who inhabit this site...all of whom are more than willing to share their experience with you. To answer your questions...yes, your ROO will come equipped with a 30 amp power cord, most likely built in and ready to be unspooled. You should also receive a small fire extinguisher...but take it from a lifelong cruising sailor (many similarities here) get yourself an aftermarket extinguisher...or two...you can't have too many...you wouldn't believe how fast and hot fiberglass can burn. Don't count on a drinking water safe hose...the dealer might supply one, but they're usually very cheesy...invest in a good one from your local or online camping products supplier. When you take delivery, crawl around your unit...get into every nook and cranny...see how it's constructed...test each system and understand how it functions. THEN...find the most beautiful park you can travel to and HAVE FUN on your inaugural cruise...
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #3
Site Team

i'm guessing that by electric hookup, you mean a shore power cord. yes, that is included with the trailer from the factory.
no on water hoses, unless your dealer is one that supplies a "starter package". usually a single water hose along with some basic things for your RV.
a small extinguisher is required by law, so that is also something installed from the factory. mainly for stove fires, not for anything bigger than that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from Dawsonville, GA!
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

Welcome,when you use your unit for the (1st)time,use (Camp Driveway).Play house and you can supply (Most) things you need from Home. Make your list of things you need and stock your unit,then (Go Camping!).This will make your (1st) trip (Much) better! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #7

Welcome to the forums from Idaho.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Site Team

Welcome each of my three RVs came with the following accessories/ safety equipment.
Power cord.
Water hose.
Sewer tube.
Water pressure regulator.
Fire extinguisher.
Smoke detector.
Propane detector.
Carbon monoxide detector.
Sample pack/roll of toilet tissue.
Black tank treatment sample pack.
30amp-20amp adapter plug.
Owner's manuals for everything on the unit.

Good luck and enjoy. There are a lot of
Roo owners here.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #9

Welcome! A camper takes the NASCAR experience to a whole different level. You will not be sorry! The goods you will get standard have already been addressed by the folks above.

I 100% second replacing the tiny extinguisher with a larger unit. I even installed one in my outside storage compartment. The tiny unit supplied with the camper is now in my truck.

Also you will likely need a few critical items for your rig that are not included.

Water regulator
Fresh water Hose if not provided
Wheel chocks
Sewer Collar and while you are at it spend a few $$ and get a better Sewer hose.
Holding Tank Treatment
Cooler stocked with beer

All the other things are just details.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
NELA

NASCAR!

DH and I have done Bristol and Texas Motor Speedway.

Being in the South, Talladega is on our bucket list! We took our RV to Bristol but kept 'er in an RV park in Pigeon Forge. Texas was before we got the RV.

Welcome to "glamping" and all the creature comforts that come with it.

Most of the gotta haves have been covered. I'd advise buying more than just a couple rolls of the RV safe bathroom tissue.

Yes most dealers give the buyer a freebie starter kit. If it's not offered, ask for it!

A couple of things not mentioned; get the bug proof screens for all exterior appliance vents. Mud dobbers and wasps love those small hidey holes. If you have roof vents get the covers for them.

Congratulations!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #11

Just a suggestion.

Victory Lane - RV Awning Patio Mat with Free Storage / Carrying Bag - Carefree Mats
Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #12

Thank you all so much for the advice!! I know once we actually get the trailer I'll have plenty more questions! The next 8-10 weeks are going to be torture waiting for the day we can go pick it up. I'm excited to just camp in the driveway for the shakedown!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Resident Masshole

Congrats and Welcome fellow Roo owner!

We camped up at Loudon, NH last September for the Sylvania 300, and it was a blast! Can't wait to get back up there this year.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

Welcome from Cumming,Ga
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum NicelyRoo. I was where you are a couple of years ago. I learned a lot reading this forum. Also there are a lot of good YouTube videos out there. In addition to what is listed above, I would suggest a second hose and a second power cord. I have camped at a number of RV parks where my main water hose would not reach all the way. I think twice I needed a second power cord.

Welcome to the RV world!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #16

Welcome aboard
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #17

Welcome aboard. I started camping because I got tired of paying exorbitant hotel fees & fighting traffic at NASCAR races! Tent camped for about 5 years (Bristol, Charlotte, Martinsville) then moved up to a pop-up. Had some great times at all three places, but found myself enjoying the camping part as much or more than the races. So now I enjoy camping at campgrounds with hook-ups & racing from home in front of my 52" HDTV. LOL!

If you like to party at the races, I recommend the Earhart campground at Bristol - right next to the track & always something going on. Not much room & no hook-ups but lots of action. If you'd prefer something quieter & not so crowded, Peaceful Valley is great. About 1.5 miles from track but they have a free shuttle. It's run by a church so no alcohol allowed. But they have water & electric hookups for a reasonable rate & really large spaces.

I just upgraded from my pop-up to a Roo 21SS in September. Only 2 trips before it got cold, but loving it so far!

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #18

Ordered our new 8289ws, can't wait to campe in the drive way, first camper.
2006redvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time