Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

First TT

Oh boy,where to start?....My wife goes online and finds a Forest River Hybrid {233t) and talks me into buying it....not sure why I can;t say no but we now own a used 2003 233t hybrid and of course being retired guess who gets to make all the repairs or whatnots.
The silly thing came with no manuals so I have no idea how to start up anything,repair anything....maybe I'll just sit in it and get drunk...
I have heard that Forest River makes good products but don't really offer any help on operating anything such as your hot water heater or reefer...
Dang! am I too old to learn this stuff?
I will thank you and thank you if anyone can give me some insight....other then finding another woman!
elroseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and

As for the furnace, water heater, and stuff, get the brand and model and look for the individual website. Will get much better info. Save the pages, or download the manuals so you will have them.

Also check out the Hybrid section on this website for specific help. People on here are great.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #3

I have found some of the best resources at the campgrounds themselves. Most people are great to ask and are usually more than happy to share their knowledge.
KPAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroseo View Post
Oh boy,where to start?....My wife goes online and finds a Forest River Hybrid {233t) and talks me into buying it....not sure why I can;t say no but we now own a used 2003 233t hybrid and of course being retired guess who gets to make all the repairs or whatnots.
The silly thing came with no manuals so I have no idea how to start up anything,repair anything....maybe I'll just sit in it and get drunk...
I have heard that Forest River makes good products but don't really offer any help on operating anything such as your hot water heater or reefer...
Dang! am I too old to learn this stuff?
I will thank you and thank you if anyone can give me some insight....other then finding another woman!
Thanks for the laugh your thread just gave me

I also researched TT's, and my DH was also unable to say 'NO' to it.
However, he has made it clear that it is my 'baby' and he has nothing to do with it except sleeping in it when we camp.

I am going to try and figure out how your DW got you to buy the trailer AND do all the work on it also; I think I need lessons from her.

BTW...you came to the right place for help!!
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You came to the right place, my friend!

We have a subforum for you. The Roo and Shamrock are the same so you will want to watch them both.

HWH and fridge are the easy parts (believe it or not). Then there's controlling condensation, lighting the stove, staying warm/cool, batteries and boondocking, winterizing and water pumps and more. Lots of fun.

Post any questions you might have.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Does anyone have any advice on batteries for our trailer and some advice on a manual carefree awnings.
michigannurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigannurse View Post
Does anyone have any advice on batteries for our trailer and some advice on a manual carefree awnings.
Are you looking to replace your batteries? I'm sure yours is needing replacement if its the original.

People use either one or two 12-volt (group 24 is the smallest and up to group 31) or two 6-volts. I installed two 6-volt Trojan T-145's because of the dry camping that we do. Also, a battery disconnect is a good idea and a common mod.

What advice on awnings are you looking for? Carefree's are pretty common aftermarket awnings. Did your trailer come with the carefree awning or are you looking to install one?

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Site Team

like the others have said, if you go to each manufacturer's website, you should be able to download the manual, like the Carefree awning. my Roo has a A&E awning.

checking out the Expandable/Hybrid section here, will give you some ideas. lots of 233 and 233S owners here.

did have one question, if you're retired, how come you bought a hybrid with 3 canvas bunk ends, instead of the normal 2 bunk ends. usually large families buy the 3 bed ones, not retired people.
unless you've got grandkids to take camping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
like the others have said, if you go to each manufacturer's website, you should be able to download the manual, like the Carefree awning. my Roo has a A&E awning.

checking out the Expandable/Hybrid section here, will give you some ideas. lots of 233 and 233S owners here.

did have one question, if you're retired, how come you bought a hybrid with 3 canvas bunk ends, instead of the normal 2 bunk ends. usually large families buy the 3 bed ones, not retired people.
unless you've got grandkids to take camping.

Hmm...this 233 has 2 canvas bunk ends....wish I could of found one with a 3rd so I could throw the kitties in there!....
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

You came to the right place, my friend!

We have a subforum for you. The Roo and Shamrock are the same so you will want to watch them both.

HWH and fridge are the easy parts (believe it or not). Then there's controlling condensation, lighting the stove, staying warm/cool, batteries and boondocking, winterizing and water pumps and more. Lots of fun.

Post any questions you might have.

Thanks for the welcome!!....you say HWH and fridge are the easy part??....Ok I will take your word for it but I'm still gonna have a bottle nearby just in case!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroseo View Post
Hmm...this 233 has 2 canvas bunk ends....wish I could of found one with a 3rd so I could throw the kitties in there!....
Yours is a Surveyor 233T.

I saw 233 in your original post as assumed Roo/Shamrock. Still, not many differences. The hybrid forum is still the best place for you
Attached Images

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Site Team

oh, the Surveyor 233T.
forest river makes many brands of hybrids, the Roo and Shamrock have a 233 and a 233T.

that's one of the floorplans we liked, but no Surveyor dealer within 200 miles.

just a suggestion, supplying brand, model number and pics are always helpful.
most manual awnings are the same, you should have a long metal thing with a bend at the end. that's for pulling the awning loop out and flipping the switch on the side of the awning roll.
should say which way for unrolling it and rolling it up.
if your water heater has the DSI feature, there'll be a switch for the propane heating part of it, usually near the holding tank sensors panel and the water pump switch.
if the WH is a Suburban, it'll have the electric switch on the heater itself, accessed by the outside hatch door, where the WH is located.
be sure to have the system and WH, pressurized with water before turning either on.

if you have a Dometic fridge, it'll run on either 110v AC or propane.
instructions for its operation should be available on Dometic's website.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigannurse View Post
I just had a Carefree of Colorado "Pioneer" awning installed a few weeks back, we love it and it looks great. Easy to use and can be opened/closed by one person. There is a crank handle to roll it out and close it up.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #14

Please post your general location. Maybe one of the members will be willing to come and give you a part day training?
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Please post your general location. Maybe one of the members will be willing to come and give you a part day training?
I'm in the Great Pacfic Northwest.....(Oregon)....We live in an Area called Clackamas....lots and lots of campgrounds within a 75 mile drive....
Old 10-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #16

Coloma, mi. is where we live.
michigannurse is offline   Reply With Quote