Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to rrountree Send a message via Skype™ to rrountree
Florida is my home and my campground

Hi,

My name is Bob Rountree and I've been RV and tent camping throughout Florida for more than 20 years. I don't know everything about Florida, but I may know enough to help you, whether it's about the weather, where to camp, where to launch a kayak, where to hike, seafood hot spots and tiki bars!

The areas I know best are on both coasts, especially from Flagler Beach south to the Keys and the Gulf Coast from Tampa south to Naples. I also know quite a bit about the interior and have limited knowledge of the Panhandle.

I'm looking forward to joining the conversation on Forest River Forums.

Come on down!
rrountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you can be of help with trip planning surrounding your area. Please do jump in or start a topic.

Take care.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Welcome!! I only know WDW and Ft. Wilderness pretty well. ;-)
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Bob,

Do you have any experience with Jonathan Dickinson Park? I've been there a couple of times. I've never RVed there but I have gone a canoe ride which was fun. Have you had any experience with this?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjesparza1988 View Post
Bob,

Do you have any experience with Jonathan Dickinson Park? I've been there a couple of times. I've never RVed there but I have gone a canoe ride which was fun. Have you had any experience with this?
Yes, I've camped there many times and love the park. Excellent kayaking on the Loxahatchee River, one of only two federally designated Wild and Scenic Rivers in Florida, and there are some great trails for both hiking and biking.

There are two campgrounds, one at the front of the park (Pine Grove) and one near the river. My choice is the River Campground.

The Pine Grove Campground is new, and the pine grove was wiped out for the renovation. There are no trees and no vegetation between sites, although the new sites are quite nice with concrete pads and full hookups.

The River Campground is older, well-shaded with lots of native vegetation affording privacy between sites. There's a bathhouse in the middle of the loop, and the boat ramp is quite close. Sites 113-119 are close to a trail that runs down to the river and the boat ramp.

If you are interested in more information, you might want to read this article written by a friend of mine.

And, of course, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have. I love this park! :-)
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Thanks for the reply! I've written a an article on this park before, but it was more from a historical stand point, not a practical. Thanks for the information! I enjoyed my canoeing experience while I was there. It was great. A great workout too!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #7

First winter in Florida

Hi Bob, my wife and I will be spending our first winter as snow birds at a RV park located in Palmetto,Fla. The name of the park is "Fisherman's Cove" We have not seen it yet but we liked what we saw on Google Maps and Earth.
I'am bringing our Kayaks down, it looks like some great places near there for that. I also like to fish a little, mainly from the shore and piers. My 5th wheel is being delivered to the Park on 11/29, if your in the area stop by.

Bill
WRROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #8

Never been to that park, but yes, there are plenty of places to kayak and fish around there. You should consider a day trip to Myakka State Park west of Sarasota (with or without your yaks) during your stay.

And south of Palmetto, there's a new art district that's emerging in Bradenton that is pretty cool. Old houses getting repainted and converted into galleries and studios. You should also take a ride out to Anna Marie Island, although my experience with traffic through Bradenton to the beaches was not good.

Of course, don't forget to visit Sarasota and cross the Skyway to St. Petersburg and Fort Desoto Park!

Don't know if I'm getting over that way this year, but you never know. I'm getting itchy feet.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #9

Thanks for that info Bob, I can't wait to get down there, it's only in the 30's here in Illinois,thanks again.
WRROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
Hi Bob, Welcome

Wife and I live in Orlando and are hitting as many Fla State Parks as we can. Have been to 7 so far and going to Manatee Springs in Dec. Looking forward to the trip. We are going to Collier-Seminole in Mar 2013 (earliest we could get a reservation).
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaGinger View Post
Hi Bob, Welcome

Wife and I live in Orlando and are hitting as many Fla State Parks as we can. Have been to 7 so far and going to Manatee Springs in Dec. Looking forward to the trip. We are going to Collier-Seminole in Mar 2013 (earliest we could get a reservation).
Would love to get your impressions of Manatee Springs. Have fun!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #12

We will let you know what we think of Manatee Springs when we get back. Going there 9-16 Dec. Really looking forward to it. Heard good things about it. Hear it is a good location to allow for visiting other places like Cedar Key.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #13

Manatee Springs was great. Not a lot of campers we pretty much had the Hickory Campground to ourselves. Started getting busy on Thursday and thru the weekend. IT is very rural. Very little to no cell signal, only able to pick up NBC sometimes and 3 PBS channels on TV. 7 miles into Chiefland. Library had free Wi-Fi as does McDonalds and Burger King. There is a super Wal-Mart in town. Lots of tress at the campground. Clean restrooms. soil can be dusty when dry. It is farm country. Friendly staff.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #14

Do you have any suggestions Crystal River area Thanks
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #15

Camped at Manatee SP in Sept. Lots of deer walking thru CG... Saw 9 in one campsite!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #16

We had the same experience at Manatee Springs. We were in site 87 and at one time had 10 deer hanging around. They obliviously are being fed by campers. We also had 3 raccoons and an armadillo. We were there 9-16 Dec.

Have not camped in the Crystal river area yet.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #17

So far we have camped at Manatee Springs, Anastasia SP, Blue Spring SP, Kissimmee Prairie Preserve, Lake Kissimmee SP, Tomoka SP, Lake Griffin. We have camped at Long Point County Park in South Brevard Country on the Indian River Lagoon. Jan we are going to Manatee Hammock in Titusville, FL. It is a Brevard County park.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrountree
Hi,

My name is Bob Rountree and I've been RV and tent camping throughout Florida for more than 20 years. I don't know everything about Florida, but I may know enough to help you, whether it's about the weather, where to camp, where to launch a kayak, where to hike, seafood hot spots and tiki bars!

The areas I know best are on both coasts, especially from Flagler Beach south to the Keys and the Gulf Coast from Tampa south to Naples. I also know quite a bit about the interior and have limited knowledge of the Panhandle.

I'm looking forward to joining the conversation on Forest River Forums.

Come on down!
Welcome! I am looking forward to your help, as my husband and I are really looking forward to some Florida camping very soon. I used to live in Deland, where my Son was born. Moved back up North for employment. We are now retired and love the Gulf coast but haven't done any camping there yet. I do have another Son who lives in Orlando, but he doesn't camp. So your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
Do you have any suggestions Crystal River area Thanks
I live within a few miles of Crystal River and can recommend a state park. It's not in Crystal River, but still not far. It's a nice state park that has full hook up (even sewage) and it's called Rainbow Springs. It's by the springs and there's lots of canoeing or kayaking, as well as tubing down the river. The water stays at a constant 70 degrees year round.

There's a campground right in Crystal River that we booked a few months back, but since I live so close I thought I'd check it out first and it was a dump. The majority of the lots were under water and it was in complete dissaray. The name of that one is Crystal Isles RV resort. Maybe I'll drive through it again some time soon and see how it is in the winter time, but in the summer, in the height of the rainy season it was a flooded mess and we canceled the reservation.
Kariworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #20

Great info guys Love my time at Manatee Springs SP I find our evening walks along the boardwalk looking out into the Suwannee River to be magical. Also the lights they do at Christmas were neat. Good Memories
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, florida, kayak, outdoors