Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

FR3

Hi. New owners of a 2015 fr3. Got a few issues, if anyone can help please advise. Leaking water out of the low point drain underneath on passenger side of coach. Purchased in Florida an currently in Utah traveling. Also a/c unit fan seems to be kicking off an on at times, comp. stays running? Also tire pressure on coach states 80psi however the goodyear tires on coach rates at 110psi cold. What is the right pressure to run? Drove from Fl @ 80psi so far no issues but after reading some posts on here not sure if we are correct. Thanks
jogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #2

With the Ac unit if the fan shuts down for a couple of seconds this maybe normal. A lot if units with digital thermostats have an auto function for the fan. The fan will switch from high, med, or low automatically to maintain the temp you gave set it at. When the fan switches speed it stops for a couple seconds but the compressor stays on. Then the fan turns back on at the speed it has selected. If this sounds like what yours is doing, it is normal and I would not worry about it. You can try this, set the thermostat to cool. Set the fan to run on high. Turn the temp all the way down. At these settings the fan and the compressor should both run non stop. Run it for a bit and see if it shuts down. If it doesn't then it's most likely ok. I've noticed that the closer you get to the temp you've set the thermostat at, the more the fan will fluctuate to achieve and maintain that temp.
OneRoomShed Trailer Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

People will argue both sides of the tire pressure situation. In my opinion, usually you want to go by what the vin sticker says. But yes you are under inflating your tires then. That's why most of the time the tire max psi should match what the vin sticker says. Check to make sure you have the correct tires for that trailer. Tire size and load rating. I know sometimes people upgrade to a heavier tire and never have a problem. I've witnessed a couple situations where it caused damage to the suspension due to the tires being too stiff. That's why I would say go by the vin sticker and just keep a close eye on the tires for any wear.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new rig Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

If you don't run max air pressure you can't carry the load tires are rated for also lower air pressure makes the tires heat up and come apart you don't want the tires to come apart it destroys a lot when that happens I have had four to do that but all were on large fifth wheel thousands of dollars in damage

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #6

ok, now I am really confused. Vin states 80psi an tires are goodyear rated at 110 psi. So if I split the difference an keep tires @ 95 psi would I be better off than @ 80 or 110? the tires came on the fr3 class A direct from the factory. I have tried calling FR, but no response after 3 different tries over 3 days. So far just turned 4000 mi on this trip an no tire issues as yet, its 103 degrees here out west right now an just a little concerned.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 AM   #7

I did a little more research. From what i understand the vin sticker psi is optimal for the best ride of the unit. But with a trailer you are also looking to be able to safely carry the heavy load. As I stated before you will be under inflating your tires at that point. It seems it is best to fill the tires to the max rating stated on the tires to prevent blowouts due to under inflation and premature tire wear. If your tires state 110 psi cold then that's what you want to fill them up to.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #8

I was told by Goodyear rep always run max i run 110 psi on g614 tires on fifth wheel Goodyear they will carry what they are rated for at that pressure and run cooler less flex in tires when turning I also run max psi in two diesel pushers

Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

The only way to know what PSI to run is to know what your MH weight is. So stop at most any truck stop and pull on the scale with everyone and everything on board. You might not be able to reach the intercom without going outside the MH. If so just stand on the drivers side while the weigh it. Now that you have a axle weight look up on the Goodyear web site for your tire size and it will give you a PSI for that weight. This is an ok way to do it but the best way is to have a four point weight done. The only place I have been able to do that is at a rally like FMCA or the FR rally at Goshen might offer at as well. Anyone that owns a MH should get a weight once a year or as your loads change.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #10

Yes you could do that also but your coach will change weight as u move down the road if you have 100 gal tank or 75 gallon tank just run max then you are doing all you can do unless you are overweight by quiet a bit or run less and worry about your tires overheating and coming apart I don't worry about that I just run max

Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #11

Not to argue the point but running max air could be over inflated depending on your weight. Always weigh your MH with full fuel and everything you take with you including your passengers. This is how you get max life out of your tire and max comfort on the ride. Max pressure on my tires is 120psi. I run 105 on the front and 95 on the rear. Always have tires in the same axle set to the same PSI. You can and should adjust the psi for the weight of each axle.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #12

Won't argue if you do all these things on regular basis most people don't I do know that that the g614 Goodyear tire was not rated as high with load as the e series without it fully inflated to max if I had run 80 or 90 psi instead of 110 psi my tires the g rated would not carried as heavy a load as the e and I lost all 4 of those were rated e at 80 psi Thor paid 1500 $ for me to replace the tires I never had another problem

Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #13

ok, thanks for the replys. I will change the psi to 110 tomorrow am an pray for the best. I checked with a tire shop in utah this am while passing through town to the interstate an the svc,mgr said the 80 to 85 range would be fine to run on, however I will change my way of thinking an go with the experts on here as we are new to this class A camping gig.