Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #1

From a Tiffin Allegro Bus to a 21FBRS

Hi all,
Big time downsize!

I know this is gonna sound crazy but we just sold or Tiffin 36QSP Allegro Bus and purchased a 2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS.

We have always enjoyed staying at RV parks but dreaded the trip to and from those destination. Traffic, crazy drivers and having to drive something that weighs 32klbs and was close to 55 feet with our toad took its toll and made me a nervous wreck. The upkeep and maintenance, insurances and storage, plus all the costs associated with a major class A coach greatly diminished the camping experience. It seems I could never just let go and enjoy the moment thinking about the drive home and what might go wrong next. Driving more then a few hundred miles would absolutely wear me out. Plus my wife absolutely refused to drive it. Last time out we almost got creamed by a tractor trailer who wanted both lanes. At least it only cost me a mirror. Ouch! Could have been much worse, but it sealed the deal, the bus had to go.

Well, no doubt we will miss the amenities in the Allegro Bus, it was like a 5 star hotel on wheels but we think getting back to a simpler more manageable platform and enjoying the experiences of travel trailer camping is what we really needed all along.

We did our homework (much like we thought we did last time) and are looking forward to the 21FBRS. It should be a snap in comparison! Just driving it around town behind our tow vehicle was easy and without stress. Its almost like it not back there!

I do hope we made the right choice with a Forest River Product. We got most of the recommended options, 13.5btu ducted air, Sapphire Package, power led Awning, Maxxair Ventilation/covers, Convenience Package A and a few others. Don't have the slide covers or power hitch but we might add them down the road if they are worth the effort.

Anyway, I hope the Flagstaff is good quality, I have read some good things about the company. The 2017 has fixed some prior issues owners have complained about. This is the mark of a good company, constant improvement and listening to their customers. I guess we shall see! Comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Dan and Diane
RoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

I had a Class A and found it great MOST of the time. The few times it was not great it was really a pain. Still, enjoyed it more than any of the TTs I had. Deciding on buying a new truck ~~ why another motor to maintain? Went to a 5er and it is the best thing I did in over 40 years of camping.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
I go RV'ing not Camping

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new trailer. I think it will be great for you!
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:08 AM   #4

Congrats. You will be able to get into more places with smaller footprint.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Congrats. You will be able to get into more places with smaller footprint.
With less stress too
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum I also downsized for different reasons, this is a great place to get your questions answered. the one thing I had to change first off was the movement of the TT with the stabilizers down I added the steady fast system and X-chocks.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
...one thing I had to change first off was the movement of the TT with the stabilizers down I added the steady fast system and X-chocks.
Seadog, I think I know what an x-chock is, goes in between and prevents movement, but what is steady fast?

Plan on taking a trip next week and would like to consider adding it. Since I need to take a run over to camping world for some other goodies maybe that might be a great time to add it.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #8

The X-chocks do go between the tires, I use 2 one for each side. google steady fast and take a look the owner is very nice and will answer any questions you have I don't believe CW has these. I installed my own the TT is rock solid now like the old winnie was on the jacks. There are other system that work just as well from what I have read.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 07-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

Initial Impressions, 21FBRS

Well, after 3 trips over a period of 20 days in the camper here are my initial impressions: I would encourage all feedback:

1. Generally with a weight distribution hitch the unit tows well, anyone with a vehicle rated 6k and above should have no problem. The dual brakes on each axle stop well and provide good control.

2. Build quality: its not bad, a few wall paper crinkles where the cabinets meet the silicone at the edges. A few screws backed out but coating them with gorilla glue and re-installing them fixed this.

3. Sleeper sofa, when you deploy the sleeper sofa you are faced with 2 different heights making it uncomfortable to sleep on. Forest river needs to make the sofa one height when deployed as a bed.

4. More on the sleeper sofa, there is no way to walk around the the queen bed because of the bolsters attached to the sofa. If they would have shortened them a few inches this would have solved that and it would not have distracted from the sofa or affected its use in any way.

5. Dometic 300 toilet, wow, its a plastic piece of what goes down it. I don't even want to comment on this! Do a google search, nothing more to be said.

5. Gray water and black water tank, these were made smaller for 2017 and the fresh water tank increased in size. Personally they should have left them alone. Unless you are constantly hooked up you will quickly run out of grey and black water capacity.

6. Dometic air conditioner, rated at 13500 btu. Forest river should have opted for the 15k version. When you have temperature at 100 plus outside its barely keeps up providing 80 degrees inside.

7. Front window, Forest River should have used one way tint or be the same as the other windows in the travel trailer. For the most part it remained closed for most of our trips.

8. Floor, even with all 4 leveling jacks deployed, x chocks installed and tongue supported you can feel anyone walking inside the unit. Not exactly sure why this happens other then to speculate the floor doesn't have enough support. Perhaps this is what you get when you buy a "Micro or mini light".

9. Garment cabinets, these are located to the left and right side of the bed. They are to short and crinkle clothes placed in them. Forest River should have extended them about 3 inches down into the night stand area and they would have nailed it.

10. Crank vent above bed, useless, should have been a power vent and used a fantastic vent in the bathroom as well! I am sure this will be addressed in the future.

11. More cabinet lights, no light under the left side of the kitchen counter top, I will install one there.

Overall, its a reasonable unit at a decent price. I have dragged this thing well over 2000 miles at this point and plan on the immediate following upgrades:

A. Dump the Dometic 300 toilet for the 320 elongated bowl china unit.

B. Install a second group 34 battery.

C. Sleeper sofa, I plan on removing it and making some general modifications, first removing the drink bolsters, cutting them down and reinstalling them, this will allow full movement around the queen bed.

D. Tint the front window with a one way tint to match the other windows.

E. I plan on removing the bottom of the garment cabinets, this will allow the clothes to extend down without getting wrinkled.

F. On the left side of the kitchen counter is a fold up shelf, I plan on ordering another and adding it to the opposite side.

G: Jacks, this one is up for discussion, considering removing the original jacks and installing them front and rear on the tires then installing some better units where the original units were installed. This should resolve frame flexing.

H. Compartments, a couple of twist type non keyed types as used in the slide out would be useful. Sometimes you really don't want to lock the compartments but you don't want water (and other things) to get in.

Honestly, overall I am pleased with this unit. I think anyone wanting a small lightweight reasonably priced travel trailer would be satisfied with this unit.

As time goes by I am sure I will continue to make this unit more to my liking. But after all, isn't this what this past time is all about?

Happy Camping!
Dan
Old 07-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #10

Dan look into the steady heres a link

this will stop the shaking it made my trailer rock solid. I agree about the toilet they really are cheap plastic. I added two led pancake lights under my cabinets and they work great You are correct about the vents I have both in the bedroom and bathroom creat-a-breeze (like fantastic fan) and they really move allot of air. My unit has the 15K AC I added a hard start kit to it and insulated the suction line it cools great. good luck with your projects. Oh ya I have never opened the hide-a-bed sofa should do that and check it out.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 07-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #11

I'm with you, OP. I once had a 34 ft. Dolphin. I just didn't like driving an entire house. I've been downsizing since.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #12

Upgrade

Update: Last year I enjoyed the 21 so much I upgraded to the 23FBDS. Its a few feet bigger but still very manageable towing and parking. One of the things I like the best about it are the dual slides and Murphy bed. This give you so much more entertainment area during the day.

I must say though that the build quality was not up to par with the prior model and have had to fix/re-enforce a number of items. I have a laundry list that I will post later for those interested in preventing road issues.