Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

From over the pond

Hi to everyone,

We are due to collect our Georgetown SE 340TS, 2007 model, in about 4 weeks from now and I know this will be the longest 4 weeks of our lives.
At present we own a European motorhome, Hymer B classic, it measures 18 feet long (short) and some of you would probably use it as a toad . We have a very steep learning curve heading our way compouned by the fact that you drive on the wrong side of the road over there plus you are spoilt by 30 or 50 amp hook-ups, in the UK max 16 amp sometimes as low as 6 or 10 amp.
A great site and glad we found it.

John and Karen

Have to find a smiley with a Union Jack
The Limeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #2

It is not often we get members from on the other side of the pond. Congratulations on the new to you Georgetown. I am sure you will enjoy it. Please keep us informed of your camping experiences on your side of the world. I think we will all be interested.

Don't hesitate to ask anything you need to. I'm sure there will be a few differences between your current rig and the Georgetown.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

Hello, John & Karen. Welcome to FRF, from across the pond.

Congrats on your New-2-U Georgetown. Post pics when it arrives and be careful.

Enjoy the forums.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #4

Welcome. There are lots of knowledgeable Georgetown owners on here (I am not one of them) and they always seem very helpful. I imagine they will even have some ideas on how to power a Georgetown with a 10-amp hookup. As Kim suggested, please do keep us informed on your adventures with the new unit. I think we'd all be interested in learning more about the differences involved in camping in the UK.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome, I will certainly post some pictures and also keep you posted with our experiences.

John & Karen
Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #6

Welcome John and Karen,

Just a quick question. What is your normal voltage over there?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I checked WikiAnswers & their voltage is 230 AC, 50 hz, +10% -6%.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #8

Limeys
I wonder which side will have the steeriing wheel?
Right of left?

Congrats on your new RV. You have so much to travel and see in Europe.
Do you have many campgrounds around Europe?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I checked WikiAnswers & their voltage is 230 AC, 50 hz, +10% -6%.
That is what I thought. I am sure John already knows but it bears a warning that a US produced RV is wired for 120volts so an adaptor of some sort would be necessary. I wonder of there is somone that makes rectifiers or something that would convert the 230, 50hz to 120vac, 60hz at say 20amps or something? If we can convert 120vac to 12vdc and invert 12vdc to 120vac then I am sure it is possible.

And for Iggy I believe the rig is a 2007 model being imported from the US so the wheel should be on the left, unless I have the story wrong.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #10

Hiya,

When RV's are imported into the UK they are American spec but most dealers convert the electrics to 240 volt those that are not converted will use a 110 volt transformer to power the coach, ours is converted to 240. With regard to the steering wheel it remains on the left it just has an English nut behind it . When driving in the UK the front passenger seat is known as the Suicide seat which the Boss occupies and leads to some open mouth periods of silence which is a bit disconcerting as I think I have been struck down with instant deafness .

John & Karen
Old 08-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limeys View Post
the front passenger seat is known as the Suicide seat which the Boss occupies and leads to some open mouth periods of silence which is a bit disconcerting as I think I have been struck down with instant deafness .

John & Karen
Things work about the same here at times too.

As an air traffic controller here in the states I talk to British Airways flights from the U.K to Los Angeles. Today I had one say something to me I couldn't understand, my partner asked "what did he say" i said to him "I don't know I don't speak English".

Thanks for the info on how things work over there with the RVs. Can't wait to see some pics.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

John, I imagine your Georgetown will be quite a large vehicle by British standards. Does that pose a problems on some of the "back roads"? I've seen travel films & some of your roads look narrower than what we'd consider "secondary" roads here in North America.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Jan Goldfield

And I thought those periods of total silence/deafness was specific to the US. Guess I was wrong (Again.)

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Hiya,

When RV's are imported into the UK they are American spec but most dealers convert the electrics to 240 volt those that are not converted will use a 110 volt transformer to power the coach, ours is converted to 240. With regard to the steering wheel it remains on the left it just has an English nut behind it . When driving in the UK the front passenger seat is known as the Suicide seat which the Boss occupies and leads to some open mouth periods of silence which is a bit disconcerting as I think I have been struck down with instant deafness .

John & Karen
Very funny!! Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new coach. A lot of good info available here should you need it.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #15

It is good to hear that British Airways are maintaining standards byputting nuts behind the wheel of their vehicles.

Some of the country lanes over here are a tad narrow and twisty which we can use with our current motorhome but carefully, the Georgetown will be 10" wider and twice the length so these lanes will be off limits to us but we will be no bigger than a bus or truck so if they can get there than so can we.

The camp sites in the UK are pretty good most of them have electric on all pitches and a few have water and grey water waste on the pitch as well but we have not seen a site where you have black water dump on your pitch but it will be on the site somewhere, as I said earlier electric will be 16 amp max so you have to be careful what you switch on and what else is already switched on. All the above apply to European sites but even more so with regard to electrics where it can be 6 or 10amps.
If we need to run the aircon than that will have to a genny job as we would black-out the campsite if we switched that on whilst hooked up
We will probably spend this winter at La Manga in the Murcia region of Southern Spain have a look on google earth, a nice part of the world. We will be taking our cat & dog this time they will be our security measures, the dog will lick them to death and if they get past him the cat will certainly put them out of their misery, damned evil thing it is.

John & Karen
Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #16

Quote:
It is good to hear that British Airways are maintaining standards byputting nuts behind the wheel of their vehicles.

Some of the country lanes over here are a tad narrow and twisty which we can use with our current motorhome but carefully, the Georgetown will be 10" wider and twice the length so these lanes will be off limits to us but we will be no bigger than a bus or truck so if they can get there than so can we.

The camp sites in the UK are pretty good most of them have electric on all pitches and a few have water and grey water waste on the pitch as well but we have not seen a site where you have black water dump on your pitch but it will be on the site somewhere, as I said earlier electric will be 16 amp max so you have to be careful what you switch on and what else is already switched on. All the above apply to European sites but even more so with regard to electrics where it can be 6 or 10amps.
If we need to run the aircon than that will have to a genny job as we would black-out the campsite if we switched that on whilst hooked up
We will probably spend this winter at La Manga in the Murcia region of Southern Spain have a look on google earth, a nice part of the world. We will be taking our cat & dog this time they will be our security measures, the dog will lick them to death and if they get past him the cat will certainly put them out of their misery, damned evil thing it is.

John & Karen
Sounds like a plan. My wife and I were in Barcelona in June as well as Cannes France, Florence, Pisa, Rome Naples and Venice. We did stop by London over night. Next time we will spend more time in the UK.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #17

Welcome from a Canadian member. I have an uncle, in Walton-On-The Naze, who I have never met in person as he married an English girl during the war and they only returned to Canada for the year before I was born. We talk often on the phone and occasionally exchange letters by post but will likely never meet as he is now 93 and slowing down a bit. If you are as fun loving and enjoy life as much as he does you will certainly enjoy your new rig. Just take your time and have the time of your life. There is no problem that can't be overcome. Have fun. Old Guys
Old 08-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
Jan Goldfield

And welcome from the Deep South of the US, the Great Free State of New Orleans. I have spent much time in your wonderful country, lived in fear while driving, but looked in awe at your architecture that is thousands of years old. We have friends in Bury St Edmunds and love to visit.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #19

Hi Old Guys,

Walton on the Naze, I have a lot of very fond memories of this lovely little seaside town which has hardly changed over the years. My grandfather owned a caravan on the Naze site so used to spend most of the summer weekends there, now I take my grandchildren there, thanks for the memory.

John & Karen
Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #20

Hi Pond Lady
Thanks for the welcome, some of my family live at Haverhill which is not far from Bury St. Edmonds. It is nice to hear that you see other parts of our country, it shows this country in a much better light than the drab and dreary big cities, people have no time to talk in the cities but drive 20 miles into the country and the pace of life slows down and people have more time to talk.

John & Karen