Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

front cap on 5th wheel

I have a new 2014 flagstaff classic super lite 8528rkws bought in april. Has anyone had issues with their front cap warping out?
jerry 2927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
I have a 8528RSWS and I did not like the looks of the cap where it meets the roof. I was concerned about seperation and water leaks so I had it checked and was told it was fine. I am keeping my eye on it cause it looks to be slightly warped.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry 2927 View Post
I have a new 2014 flagstaff classic super lite 8528rkws bought in april. Has anyone had issues with their front cap warping out?
The new 2014 Rockwoods are having the same problem, Some are getting them replaced or backing put in. They come off the same line and use the same caps. There are some post that you can look at with pictures, that should not happen at all. It seems to me they made a production change either in the resin or the framing. I would differently take care of it now....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. We have had to caulk where the roof meets the cap and are waiting to see what the fix will be. It is disheartening at this point.
jerry 2927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

Where are there some pictures of this issue?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Nevermind, I found them. The fix in that video posted is a joke. Looks like the cap is just too thin with no support. Definitely needs to be re-engineered a little. None of this shocks me; the cap, or the fix. Typical modern day RV.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Nevermind, I found them. The fix in that video posted is a joke. Looks like the cap is just too thin with no support. Definitely needs to be re-engineered a little. None of this shocks me; the cap, or the fix. Typical modern day RV.
You are right Big John, It is a joke and it was only done to save maybe $100.00 bucks or so. I had a boat when they went through this problem with hauls. Came out to be that they changed the resin process. The strange part is that they think stuffing insulation down will end the problem. Now it it seems that they are also pulling them off and putting wood backing in. Depends on where it fails. This whole problem is caused by the fiber glass resin being used IMO. Even if they pop it out you have lost the intigurty of the cap itself. Fiber glass is an unforgiving material. It also seems to be on the dark Diamond package. This seems to me heats up more and is softening. Think of a boat haul. No backing in them. They are just to thin. But I'm not an engineer.....

Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

I thought those were TPO caps? Or, some sort of plastic, not the true fiberglass like others have. When ours cracked, I got to look the old one over real good when it was off the fifth wheel. It had all of us scratching our heads, as there was no obvious problem or thin spots. Ours has reinforcements fiberglassed into the back of the cap, but that's directly from the cap manufacturer.

I can't remember the brand, but I do remember over the years some other brands with the whole front end caved in going down the highway. They were indeed a thin plastic type of material.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #9

V-Cross Platinum Fifth Wheel Features / Options by Forest ...
Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company | RVs, Park Models Trailers, Commercial Buses, Commercial Trailers, Pontoons › V-Cross › V-Cross Platinum
Forest River
Forest River Recreational Vehicles Home ... Laminated ultralite walls and floor; High gloss gel coat front cap/painted ultra violet blue; Ultra view frameless, ... cap; Painted gel coat front fiberglass cap; Exclusive 5th wheel V-nose cap placement, just found this Big John I think that they are all a forum of fiberglass, or could be injected polycoat with a gel coat topping which is really a resin. Surly do not know for sure.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

Ok. Just read high gloss TPO under the Rockwood fifth wheel features.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel