Old 08-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

Full of questions

My wife and I have been looking to move up from a pop up to a travel trailer or hybrid. We have been trying to find owners reviews of the roo/shamrock 21ss, the micro lite 21ds and the wolf pup 18to. There is not alot out there so we hoped that owners on this forum could give use some strengths and weeknesses of their units.
Thanks
Gary&Lin

Old 08-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome
You best chance of getting the answers you want is to post the specific questions in the section of the forum for that specific model. Another solution is to visit a large campground and look for a unit like you are considering. You will find that most RVers are more than happy to talk about their units.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer ideas

We made the move from a pop-up to a 2503s Mini Lite and we love it!

We are a couple, or kids are older and not joining old mom and dad. We love the Murphy Bed. Tons of room with the bed up and a great, easy to lower bed for sleeping. The awning is a nice size and covers both entry doors. We LOVE the big bathroom. It is a nice place for changing clothes, showering, etc. The two doors are wonderful. If you pull into a rest stop for a nap and cannot extend your slide out you can curl up on the dinette bed without opening the slide. We like the storage inside and out.
The kitchen slide is really nice, roomy, nice storage and works well.

I do have a few negative comments...
The tank drain pipe is LOW and you need to watch ground clearance when the back end drops down as you enter or exit uneven areas. I am thinking about making a "skid plate" to protect the drains.
The fresh water tank drain is a pain to get to when emptying the tank. There is a great mod on the forum to extend the drain for easy access.

All in all for a couple the 2503s Mini Lite has been wonderful for us!

Skip
Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

I agree, there are tons of them on the road,.Best bet is to talk with the owners, they will tell you the pros and cons. I wouldn't rely on a RV salesman's opinion. They are concerned more about the sale. I believe we have a hybrid section on this site. Just do your homework it could be fun or wait for a rv show, then you can compare models. Good luck.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

Mini lite group

There is a Mini lite "social group" here on the forum, enjoy.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
DW's Retirement Plan

Coleman Pop-up to Rockwood Roo 23SS

Back in the spring of '08, we made the change from a pup to the 23SS, a hybrid. We needed the room since there were three of us and three Shelties. Loved our Roo.

Pros -
Loved the extra room from the pup. PLENTY of space inside and a huge wardrobe.
All functional systems
Still had the feel of being in a pup when sleeping in the bunk ends

Cons -
Still not enough storage space. Needed just a tad more
Ends are tough for a short person to put up

Those are the main things. DW decided I needed something a little more easy on my old bones. So, we went with a Flagstaff 27BESS with power everything.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlin View Post
My wife and I have been looking to move up from a pop up to a travel trailer or hybrid. We have been trying to find owners reviews of the roo/shamrock 21ss, the micro lite 21ds and the wolf pup 18to. There is not alot out there so we hoped that owners on this forum could give use some strengths and weeknesses of their units.
Thanks
Gary&Lin
As was said, you could ask each brand's owners, in their brand sub-forum.

But you're comparing 2 conventional TTs, with a Hybrid TT.
BIG difference.

Most hybrid owners are former popup owners.
They want more amenities and less setup but keep the tent sleeping experience.

We don't like the "shoebox" feel of conventional TTs.

So if you've never owned a popup or aren't in love with the idea of sleeping under canvas, DON'T buy a hybrid. Get a regular TT.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #8

I went from a very small (8'box) pup with virtually no amenities other than a sink and stove to a small hybrid. It was a keystone cabana.. had only one fold out bunk. the other bunk was inside like traditional TT. It was only a 20' hybrid. I found it small. with my son and my GF and myself in it, it felt very crowded.

I upgraded this year to a 2013 Roo, 23SS. The 23' gives so much more room and the SLide out is amazing. TONS of counter top space for doing any cooking or food prep. Plus room to leave a basket of fruit, coffee maker, container with cooking utensils, etc.

And like others said, I'm not a fan of conventional TT. I like the tenting experience of the PUP and a Hybrid. It gives you more room inside without having to tow a bigger TT. And on the 23SS ROO, the setup is nothing like a popup. It folds open and is set up in literally less than 30 seconds per bed.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #9

Love our 2013 microlite 21 FBRS .... perfect for long weekends (could make it 2 weeks easily if we could get away that long). We carried cutouts of our pups crates & laid them out in each trailer in weight, length & $$ we were considering & then narrowed down to 2 ...went 1 more time to each before deciding.

First time out miserable evil hunting flies kept us inside & we realized this was a good size as we still liked each other at the end of it & have been camping a long weekend every month since. Have upgraded the bed (we did not want to crawl over each other so that was important when we were looking at floor plans), like the upgrade they have made to the shower (but we use facilities mostly) and have rarely used the oven to cook (& TV has only been on twice for f-ball games).

Have fun looking, define important preferences & go for it
Old 08-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Welcome
You best chance of getting the answers you want is to post the specific questions in the section of the forum for that specific model. Another solution is to visit a large campground and look for a unit like you are considering. You will find that most RVers are more than happy to talk about their units.
X 2 and BTW welcome to th forum. later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote