Old 08-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #1

Fulltimer & Most Time Boondocker

Hi

Been a lurker for awhile and finally decided to join.

8 months of the year I'm a boondocker in Michigan and 4 months of the year I stay in an rv park near the beaches of San Diego.

Thanx.......INTJohn

Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #2

Welcome INTJohn from Florida. It's nice here as well as SD ! Lol

Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #3

Comparing Florida with SD is not quite apples to apples as Florida is a state and SD is a city. haha
I stayed a couple winters back in PCB and yrs ago I was stationed at Pensacola and my undergrad is from FSU. So am familiar with panhandle area.

Panhandle area in winter is still too cool for me with nowhere near the amount of sunshine and a lot more rain than what San Diego offers. And San Diego has a tremendous amount of diverse world class intellectual and scientific centers all concentrated right there which is also icing on the cake to me.

Also price wise - wintertime in SD is 'offseason' for Rv parks where as in Fla it is 'in season' and the really nice parks on the coast in Fl gouge the 'snowbirds' accordingly the same way SD parks gouge vacationers during the summer........ This added price at nice Fl coast parks offsets the additional fuel costs I spend driving to SD.

Bottom line: For my lifestyle and desires there's no city in FL that compares to SD.
Winter I far & away prefer SD to any other beach/university city anywhere.

Thanx.........INTJohn
Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #4

That sounds awesome welcome to the forum from Wv
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy SD Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by intjohn View Post
Hi

Been a lurker for awhile and finally decided to join.

8 months of the year I'm a boondocker in Michigan and 4 months of the year I stay in an rv park near the beaches of San Diego.

Thanx.......INTJohn
Welcome.

I'm curious about you boondocking for this extended period of time (8 mos). My wife and I love the idea of off-grid living. What unit are you in? Is this private land or are you mobile? How are you handling water supply, sewer etc. Or am I mis-reading your post? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
Welcome.

I'm curious about you boondocking for this extended period of time (8 mos). My wife and I love the idea of off-grid living. What unit are you in? Is this private land or are you mobile? How are you handling water supply, sewer etc. Or am I mis-reading your post? Thanks in advance.
Hi & thanx for your interest & q's:

Yes I boondock for 8 months of the year here in West Michigan on the edge of the Manistee National Forest not far from Lake Michigan.

My trailer is a 2014 Shockwave T24FQ MX toyhauler. I don't however use it for hauling 'toys'. Rather I liked the fact that its really built tough (it is after all a toyhauler) and it is very spacious hence I don't need slides. Its already nice & open.
My 'power' set up is 2 30lb propane tanks & 2 12volt marine grade deep cells and the trailer has a 160 watt solar charging panel. It came with a 4000 watt Onan genset and being a toy hauler has a built in 40 gallon gas tank which I use exclusively to power the generator as I never bought the trailer to haul toys around but to live in.

I park this on my own private land that as 0.6 acre that I purchased at the county tax sale auction. The parcel had reverted back to the county due to previous owner not paying the property taxes. It is too small to build a house on (zoning is 1 acre minimum). Its on a paved road and essentially surrounded by State and Federal Forest lands....... I bought it at the auction for 400$ and had to pay the summer taxes of that year which amounted to a whopping $4.53. the deed recordation fee was 22bux. So I got my piece of boondock heaven for 427 bux. It cost me 800$ to have a culvert put in at the drive for egress/ingress to & from the paved road.

I initially contacted the power company to have electric installed and they wanted 3500$ plus the electrician wanted another 900$ to install my rv pole with shore power plugs, etc. that the power company's lines etc hook up with. I was like f*** that. For 4400$ I can buy a lot of propane & batteries & can burn a lot of gas for the generator.......... not to mention the monthly electricity usage bill. Forget them!! haha

This Shockwave has a 100+ gallon fresh water tank but when I need to fill I have a 55 gallon blue plastic barrel that I've outfitted with a house type outdoor faucet. I load it on the truck and drive to a campground about 5 miles away fill it up and unload it in the trailer.

Sewer is basically a ditto:
Gray water drains down the 40' deep gully my trailer is parked next to and I empty black tank into 42 gallon 'blueboy' and unload at the same campground's dump station.

Thats it pretty much ina nutshell.

Thanx..........INTJohn
Old 08-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by intjohn View Post
Hi & thanx for your interest & q's:

Yes I boondock for 8 months of the year here in West Michigan on the edge of the Manistee National Forest not far from Lake Michigan.

My trailer is a 2014 Shockwave T24FQ MX toyhauler. I don't however use it for hauling 'toys'. Rather I liked the fact that its really built tough (it is after all a toyhauler) and it is very spacious hence I don't need slides. Its already nice & open.
My 'power' set up is 2 30lb propane tanks & 2 12volt marine grade deep cells and the trailer has a 160 watt solar charging panel. It came with a 4000 watt Onan genset and being a toy hauler has a built in 40 gallon gas tank which I use exclusively to power the generator as I never bought the trailer to haul toys around but to live in.

I park this on my own private land that as 0.6 acre that I purchased at the county tax sale auction. The parcel had reverted back to the county due to previous owner not paying the property taxes. It is too small to build a house on (zoning is 1 acre minimum). Its on a paved road and essentially surrounded by State and Federal Forest lands....... I bought it at the auction for 400$ and had to pay the summer taxes of that year which amounted to a whopping $4.53. the deed recordation fee was 22bux. So I got my piece of boondock heaven for 427 bux. It cost me 800$ to have a culvert put in at the drive for egress/ingress to & from the paved road.

I initially contacted the power company to have electric installed and they wanted 3500$ plus the electrician wanted another 900$ to install my rv pole with shore power plugs, etc. that the power company's lines etc hook up with. I was like f*** that. For 4400$ I can buy a lot of propane & batteries & can burn a lot of gas for the generator.......... not to mention the monthly electricity usage bill. Forget them!! haha

This Shockwave has a 100+ gallon fresh water tank but when I need to fill I have a 55 gallon blue plastic barrel that I've outfitted with a house type outdoor faucet. I load it on the truck and drive to a campground about 5 miles away fill it up and unload it in the trailer.

Sewer is basically a ditto:
Gray water drains down the 40' deep gully my trailer is parked next to and I empty black tank into 42 gallon 'blueboy' and unload at the same campground's dump station.

Thats it pretty much ina nutshell.

Thanx..........INTJohn
Awesome. Sounds like a good set up. Thanks for the details.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

Ur welcome.......
couple more items I'll volunteer. I never use the air conditioner except to make sure it worked when on warranty in case it didn't - haha. Use a 12 volt 3 speed fan that I had on my boat to vent air around the cabin but never use air.

Also i like the back door opened up and use for a deck. Have the screened canvass back cover again similar to boat canvas.

Also I modified the main sleeping area in the front of the Shockwave. Didnt like the way it was built - not enough room to walk around the damn bed - may 15" max. So I removed the drawer on the Trailer door side; took my hand saw & cut the wood corner "pillar" out. Removed the storage compartment screwed to the floor at the foot of the bed and got rid of that.
Then I added a 1" x 12" cedar board to lengthen and support the mattress area and rotated the bed 90 degrees so I could sleep parallel with the 96" trailer width instead of parallel with the trailer length........ This gives me about 30" of total free & clear additional floor space to move around the 'bedroom'.

Also I got rid of the flatscreen tv & mounting rack that came with it as I rarely watch tv and haven't owned one for 20 years.

Thanx.....INTJohn