Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

Fun Mod's pictures ... part 3 "shelf in shower"

Shelf in shower

We love the huge dinette in our camper, but the downside is that there was almost no storage place for our clothes. After using the camper for one year, we decided to sacrifice the shower space which we never (and I mean never)
used. With six people the water needed in the trailer to have showers was beyond our capacity to heat and store the grey water unless we were at full hookup which we never seem to stay anywhere that this is available.

1. We started by removing and storing the fibreglass shower liner, which came out in one piece and which we can reinstall if we want to for resale.
We then capped the water lines.

2. We then built a series of stacked shelves (six in total) which we closed off in front with a nice quality canvas (sunbrella brand), and snap closures for when the trailer is moving. We constructed the shelves out of 1/4 inch MDF and lightweight 1x2, and 2x2. We used liquid nails and an air-gun with 1 1/4 finishing nails to attach the units.

3. We had to build the unit one layer at a time because there would be no way to pre build it and carry it into the small space. We had to temporarily remove the medicine cabinet while installing to top shelves. We kept the bathtub as the bottom shelf which we use for storing our towels. Each person gets to have their own storage area for clothes now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf in shower before.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2884   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf in shower construct 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2885   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf in shower empty but finnished.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	2886   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf after.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2887   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf in shower finnished.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	2888  

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #2

wow very creative

I would not have thought to sacrifice the shower. I'm glad you took pictures in progress. I'm wondering now if we could make our shower only model into a tub/shower model which would be more useful with little children.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

I noticed that you can buy the tubs from the rv suppliers. The plumbing is very basic, and easy to work with With a bit of patience it can be switched.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #4

I'm not afraid of the plumbing - I've done plenty of that in our brick and sticks houses. I should look into what exactly it would take. Were thinking now of using a rubbermaid bin inside the shower to do baths and then either trying a siphon to empty it or I might try putting a tap on the side (1" hole with plug). Actually having a tub would obviously be a better choice.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote