Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

Furnace

I'm in the process of de-winterizing and I notice a round metal plate on the furnace blowing warm air in the water heater area. My question is the round metal plate suppose to be off or has it come off and needs to be replaced.
mike.reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Can you post a pic. Not sure what your referring too.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Also, if you could put your equipment in your signature we would know a bit more about what you are working with.

- Randy
Old 04-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #4

Wildwood 27 Tbss, I will post a picture, Thank you
Old 04-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #5

Pic

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396806365832.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	49221  
Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #6

It seems common sence that it would be on so it would push more warm air to the vents, but I just wanted to be sure
Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #7

Furnace

That looks like an additional outlet to attach a flex duct and feed a supply register with. The furnaces have a bunch but not all units use them all so they use blank off plates for unused ones. That need to go back on.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.reece View Post
Pic

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Close it and use the alum furnace tape to seal them and any others not used.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

Fantastic, Thanks so much for your help, Have a great day
Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
That looks like an additional outlet to attach a flex duct and feed a supply register with. The furnaces have a bunch but not all units use them all so they use blank off plates for unused ones. That need to go back on.
Todouble is correct but before you seal it up, make sure that is not used to heat your under belly for you water pipes and tanks. Also I would check and see how many ducts you have connected. If you can not vent the correct CFM you are going to have a problem with the limit it not as easy as just taping it closed. I would do a little more research on it first. I did not see a duct on the other 4" outlet........ infact I do not see any ducts coming off the plenum. What unit do you have and what model furnace. How many registers do you have in the floor or low wall?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

From the picture, it looks like it just fell open and because it does not have a duct flange on it to direct it, it should not be for heating the underbelly. My Flagstaff does not have an open duct in the underbelly, but does have an outlet in the basement. I'd just close it and tape that entire side with the alum furnace tape.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #12

Its probably just venting down into the floor and distributed that way. Those side vents are normally used when floor vents are not present or as an additional heat source in the side of cabinet or the like.
maxum1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
From the picture, it looks like it just fell open and because it does not have a duct flange on it to direct it, it should not be for heating the underbelly. My Flagstaff does not have an open duct in the underbelly, but does have an outlet in the basement. I'd just close it and tape that entire side with the alum furnace tape.
I agree with both of the last post, but and that is big but. If you look at the pileum you have 6 cut outs normally I can see two sides only. There should be I would hope 2 cut outs on the third side which is not shown. A 27' trailer should have more then 2 ducts coming off it. That is why I asked the questions I did. A 4" duct max CFM is like 90 cfm that would only give him 180 CFM total which is not enough to run that furnace. I can only say what I see looking at the picture again you can see the side and front only. There is no ducts at all connected. I have a duct in my basement also. Now you would think that they installed this correctly. This is why I asked those questions even if they took 2 runs off on the other side and split them to a 4x4 wye branch that would even reduce the CFM more. Someone could have just opened that one up to stop the cycling problem off the limit because it can not move enough air. It is my own opinion I designed duct for buildings and homes for 20 years. And 2 4" duct can not deliver the amount of air needed for that furnace. I was just asking a question from my experience. We just had a same issue last week when they had to add a duct per the factory. No one thought that would create more air flow well it did by that op's last post saying they added a duct and now he gets more air flow and now can keep his unit at 70 degrees. This is just my opinion and I wouldn't jump to tape anything up til those questions where answered....... Plus we all know FR. Those are questions that I would want answers to from FR. Better yet Suburban them selves. These people screw up all the time like my unit without return air in the cabin. Funny after my letter to suburban all 8289ws now come with R/A in the cabin area. And the dealer wasn't happy he had to cut them in my unit per suburbans Gen. Manager.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace