Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #1

Future Salem Owner

Hi!

I've been reading this forum for several weeks now, and I wanted to extend my thanks.
I'm glad this resource is here as we prepare for our first RV purchase.
We're on a 3 year track to retirement and plan to purchase a Salem (or Wildwood) 23FBs in the next year or so.

We've spent the past year going to various RV shows & dealers and the 23FBs is the floorplan for us.

We live just a few miles from the Forest River factory in Dallas Oregon.
I would love to take a tour but when I called they said they don't offer tours, but we may be able to arrange one through a dealer.
I think I know what dealer I'm going though so I may hit him up for that.

Our tow vehicle will be our 2002 Dakota 4.7L.
From my reading here and on various Dakota forums it looks like we should be OK, but I'm prepared for an upgrade if it becomes necessary.

One thing I'm curious about;
One of the first modifications to our trailer will be a tankless water heater.
I've looked online and they don't appear to be much (if any) more expensive than a tank model.
Why on earth is this not standard or at least an option?

Anyway, thanks again for the resource!
BRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #2

to the forum! Sorry, but I can't help with the water heater question. Hopefully someone can give some insight, but wanted to welcome you.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the welcome Glenn!

I guess the question about the water heater was kind of rhetorical anyway. It's probably just a matter of time.

I can't wait to get out there.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
to the forum! Sorry, but I can't help with the water heater question. Hopefully someone can give some insight, but wanted to welcome you.
X2!!

Enjoy!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoss View Post
Hi!

I've been reading this forum for several weeks now, and I wanted to extend my thanks.
I'm glad this resource is here as we prepare for our first RV purchase.
We're on a 3 year track to retirement and plan to purchase a Salem (or Wildwood) 23FBs in the next year or so.

We've spent the past year going to various RV shows & dealers and the 23FBs is the floorplan for us.

We live just a few miles from the Forest River factory in Dallas Oregon.
I would love to take a tour but when I called they said they don't offer tours, but we may be able to arrange one through a dealer.
I think I know what dealer I'm going though so I may hit him up for that.

Our tow vehicle will be our 2002 Dakota 4.7L.
From my reading here and on various Dakota forums it looks like we should be OK, but I'm prepared for an upgrade if it becomes necessary.

One thing I'm curious about;
One of the first modifications to our trailer will be a tankless water heater.
I've looked online and they don't appear to be much (if any) more expensive than a tank model.
Why on earth is this not standard or at least an option?

Anyway, thanks again for the resource!
Have you looked at Prime Time Manufacturing yet? They are a new 2 year old RV manufacturer with the best customer service in the business. They are a complete separate subsidiary of Forest River but, believe me when I tell you.....they are different. Check out the Prime Time section of this forum and see what I mean. Also here's a link to their Tracer 235BH Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Also, check out their Executive Series 2600 RLSS. It has a much larger floorplan but still under your weights listed above. Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Good luck and Happy Retirement,

Oh, and by the way, they do offer factory tours!!

http://www.byoungrv.com
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #6

We took delivery of our Wildwood 23FBS yesterday. We're spending this weekend at a local RV resort for out maiden voyage. Picked up the necessities from Camping World tonight. Oh Boy! Here we go!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #7

I suppose the tankless water heater is O.K. if you are set up in a park with plenty of water and the ability to get rid of it. It takes more water to get to the hot stuff with a tankless heater as the water has to start running and keep running as the heater starts to heat the water. It is not instantly hot. Dry camping I think it would pose a real PITA for using precious water and then having to dispose of it.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoss View Post
We took delivery of our Wildwood 23FBS yesterday. We're spending this weekend at a local RV resort for out maiden voyage. Picked up the necessities from Camping World tonight. Oh Boy! Here we go!
You are going to have fun in your new Salem! It's been a year since I brought my Salem and I always look forward to getting out in it. I'm taking it to a local campground right next to the RV show on Saturday and then heading out again the following weekend.

Be sure to give us an update and remember that we love pictures so feel free to share!
T.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

We just spent our first night. Very comfortable. We unpacked all the new stuff from Camping World, hose, Sewer hose etc.
So far I know the furnace doesn't work but we have an electric heater that had no trouble keeping up (at all!). Found out that the trailer had been winterized and the dealer didn't cover that on the walk through. So no hot water yet since the anode isn't in place, and I don't have a socket big enough with me. I'll run by the house and get one today so we'll have hot water tonight. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Tags
23fb, dakota, salem, tankless