Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #1

General Discussions

Greetings from Upper Ottawa Valley Canada

I'm a newbie to your site.

My inquiry is - my unit was purchased in August 2004 and it was noticed that this unit has an obstructed emergency exit window due to the placement of furnishings located in the rear living area i.e., slideout.

The high back couch prevents operating the emergency exit window lever therefore, the window cannot be opened for exit or ventilation.

When contacting Forest River Inc. you reach voice mail and are asked to leave a mesage of which is never returned. So my question is are there other members with this model 2005 5th wheel 8285SS experiencing this same problem. I feel that a safety code has been violated.

Really impressed with all the information the members provide.

M. McMullen
m.mc mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
aa

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I don't know the answer to your question as I have a different unit. However, welcome to FRF. Enjoy.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome

Emergency fire escape windows need to be kept clear, so as not to hinder your egress in an emergency situation. If the furnishings prevent the window(s) marked EXIT from being opened or used, you have a valid life hazard. I would call FR about the problem. Our sofa back sits under a egress window...but it doesn't hinder it's use...I tried it on day one.

Are the furnishings original equipment, and are they placed where intended by the manufacturer?
Sometimes previous owners change or move them. You may need to send them some pics. Rv safety codes will vary somewhat from buildings...so I can't say for sure if they violated code or not. Either way...It will put you and your family in jeopardy during any emergency.

Good luck, and please post your results.

Jolly
Firefighter/EMT (25 years on the job)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #5

First off to FRF!!

Try this thread for some numbers to Forest River http://forestriverforums.com/forums/...read.php?t=372

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Hmmm good point! Welcome by the way. I travel to the ottawa area quite a lot, lovely there.

My unit has the emerg exits at the bunk and master BR so I don't have the problem (other than how to climb out the damn things, but where there's a will there's a way!) but I'll have to look around at other units to see if the same problem exists. Thanks for the pointer.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote