Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #11
Lacey's Spring, AL

I would buy an appropriate 'camping' style inverter generator, and then use it as my home's backup power supply, for the relatively few and far-in-between times that it may actually happen at your home.

Most of us think about power loss at our home as a much 'bigger' event than one for our rv, but the reality is that you don't near the things at home, at least to get thru a power outage, as you might first assume.
You probably won't be cooking big meals in the 240v oven or stove top... the microwave or bbq grill will probably suffice.
You probably won't need your 240v whole-house water heater, either, at least not as a true 'necessity', for several days.
Your whole-house air conditioning or heating system probably will be missed, but other alternatives to cooling and heating are available - fans, electric plug-in heaters, the fireplace, or even your grill, worse come to worse.

So, a generator really only needs to power 120v devices and appliances, especially your FRIDGE. Having the generator close by, and several longer 15 or 20amp extension cords, is the best alternative. You can always turn something OFF while you need to plug in something else, etc. Just like in your RV, you don't really run your microwave all the time, it's only needing power WHEN it's cooking, and that's for a relatively shore time.

We found that getting thru several hours, or maybe even days, with a smaller 'rv type' generator works perfectly fine. If you're concerned about a catastrophic event, where weeks without power may be the subject of the conversation, it may be a different story, but even then, I would suspect that even in the toughest of times a small generator would still be a God-send!

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
99,000+mi since '14, US, Alaska, Canada, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #12

I am leaning towards the Champion 3100. I think Gander World is running a decent special on them. How would you rate the quiet level of the 3100?

ericallen301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #13
Tundra 2014

Generator

I am looking @ the new Generac IQ 3500 invertor. It is slightly over the 100 lb. limit I had set. I have had a 5500 Generac for 7 years w/o any problem-deer camp w/ it. I like the 3 stage power level, higher continuous power ouput and the parts network. I have not been able to see one in person, but have seen and heard the none enclosed investor model run. Pretty quiet running a small window A/C in cabin. All the reviews I have seen have been very positive. We are planning a 6 wk trip north, where we will be boon docking for 3 wks. Three separate 6 day periods. Wanted something that would have enough juice to charge 2 batteries enough in 2 hour windows. Hoping w/ that, our 100 w solar will satisfy needs for furnace fan to build up heat in evening before going to bed. Where I used to work we sold both Generac and Champion. The ones I saw come back on both brands were user errors or abuse. The Generac tends to use a slightly larger engine @ the same rated power output.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericallen301 View Post
I am leaning towards the Champion 3100. I think Gander World is running a decent special on them. How would you rate the quiet level of the 3100?

Close to the Honda & Yamaha.

I personally have come to be a fan of bigger generators like the 3100 vs smaller ones running full steam. I had a pair of Honda 2000 generators and was very surprised at how loud they were when running A/C or the microwave.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericallen301 View Post
I believe it's 57db at 25% load, at 23 feet.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #16

Anyone have experience with the Predator 3500 inverter generator from Harbor Freight? It got good reviews on their website, but I trust this group more...
Texorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #17
Lets go camping!

i dont think ive ever seen anyone talk bad about one on this forum. they seem to be pretty good units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texorado View Post
Anyone have experience with the Predator 3500 inverter generator from Harbor Freight? It got good reviews on their website, but I trust this group more...
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #18
Tundra 2014

Champion

Champion 3100 specs are 59 DB at 7 meters- 50% load. It would be great if there was a standard for testing numbers and distances to meter. The Honda and Yamahas are still the quieter, but hard to justify the cost difference. I agree 2 small units can be louder than 1 larger. I have a decibel meter and have checked levels on the more popular units @ 5 steps-15 feet. Have not been around a Champion 3100 yet or new Generac iQ3500. Generac has a low-eco level to claim they are quieter than Honda, but does not publish DB ratings due to lack of MFG. standard-HUM.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texorado View Post
I have about 75 hours on mine and absolutely love it. I did jet the carb for high altitude but that's it. Very quiet and runs my 15k AC no problem.
uncbearfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #20

I personally own a Yamaha 2000w and a champion dual fuel 3400. I have run them side by side using the same light and heater for comparison. The Yamaha is quieter but not so much that it is a major problem. I think it depends on what you use them for. I owned the yamaha and rather than spend another $1000 for a second one I chose one generator that supported dual fuel and glad I did. Noise wise the champion at eco is about as loud as the Yamaha at full running the same load. The Yamaha will not run the AC. You will need 3000w to run the AC. A micro air easy start can run it off one but that's all it will run (no converter to charge the battery) and it will be louder than the champion doing it.

I put them both next to the trailer. If you turn on the AC you will not hear either inside. Outside a cardboard box is enough of a barrier to not hear them when pointed away from you.

I have compared the champion to a Honda 3500 side by side and there is a noticable difference in sound but it is all relative.

Heard the HF had decent reviews from the forum. I almost bought one but stopped because no parallel kit existed at the time. It still may not but I have seen you can use a different vendors kit with two HF inverters. The break in time is a bit long from what I have read in the online manuals and you need an adapter to a TT-30. That is the only complaints I have seen on them.

If I were to start all over I would have just gotten the champion 3400 dual fuel. Even on propane it runs the AC converter and TV etc without issues.

One note on why I use dual fuel is you have to fill the tank every 5ish hours with gas. With propane just swap a 20lb tank every 14-15hrs. Because of no fuel pump the extended tanks dont work well either flood the tank or let it run dry. There is a good conversion kit to add an external tank but it takes some work. Honda has a leg up with the extended tanks.

dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator