Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #21

I'm using propane only do the carb doesn't get fouled/gummed up.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I'm using propane only do the carb doesn't get fouled/gummed up.
I use mine regularly so it's always getting fresh fuel, no gum or fouling issues here.

I do like to use propane if I'm going to have to run the generator overnight (champion 3500 w dual fuel inverter) as a 20# tank will last an average of 15 hours versus the gasoline only running ~ 7 hours with intermittent load (like a cycling A/C). I carry two spare 20# tanks for either generator or backup to the two 30# tanks mounted on the TT.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #23

I'm a fan of the micro-air easy start and a single 2000 (eu2200) watt generator. If you google or youtube search there is plenty of info available. Install of the easy start was very straight forward and I'm able to run my A/C with a single Honda genny. I was using a Eu3000, but it was just to heavy to be moving around. I believe some have had success with the Harbor Freight 2000 watt genny ($450) and the micro-air easy start. Good luck

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #24

Re: Generator

I promise this will be my last question. So I am going to go with a Champion Generator. I have narrowed it down to two different variations. I would appreciate any pros or cons of either. I already have what I think are + and -s, but want other experienced users input.

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/champ...efault&start=1

or Two of the below:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/2000-...efault&start=3
ericallen301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #25
FLY4FUN

Generator

"etrailer 3,200-Watt Portable Inverter Generator - 2,900 Running Watts - Gas - Remote Start" (https://www.etrailer.com/)

^According to several I know who have bought and are using this one, it seems to be an excellent inverter that's dependable and has all of the important features (...including "remote start/stop" that requires an added mod on most/all of the others?). I already have the Honda 2000i and it operated the 11,000 AC on the Casita just sold OK...but, won't handle the 13,500 on my newly purchased Apex 22'. Based on etrailer.com's reputation and the outstanding reviews, I'm leaning toward "investing" the $729.95 in this one.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texorado View Post
Anyone have experience with the Predator 3500 inverter generator from Harbor Freight? It got good reviews on their website, but I trust this group more...
We have 4 in the family and like a lot ... my grandson says it is a Honda clone and he can get any parts if needed ... so quiet ... runs my A/C and lights and tv ..........
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
We have 4 in the family and like a lot ... my grandson says it is a Honda clone and he can get any parts if needed ... so quiet ... runs my A/C and lights and tv ..........
Surprisingly enough, parts are available for the Predator engine albeit from unexpected sources. Predator engines are popular among the Go-Cart racers.

Funny thing though, most of these engines are so danged durable they really don't require much in the repair department.

I have a "Honda Clone" based generator that has been in service since 2004. Still starts easy, runs smooth, and used to power my old TT with ease.

Only thing these engines need is a new spark plug from time to time, oil changes depending on use, and cleaning the air cleaner. A couple hours on a weekend, once a year.

I did upgrade to an Inverter type as it's quieter.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericallen301 View Post
I promise this will be my last question. So I am going to go with a Champion Generator. I have narrowed it down to two different variations. I would appreciate any pros or cons of either. I already have what I think are + and -s, but want other experienced users input.

or Two of the below:

I debated this over in my mind for way too long...

I went with the 3500 dual fuel Champion. Propane. Propane. Propane. No gas mess unless I choose to use gas. No jetting the carb for running at higher altitude.

If I was to make the decision again...I would do the same thing.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:

or Two of the below:

You have posted two very different ways to go, since the first one should easily run your a/c, while you would need a paralleled set of the 2000w ones.
That is a very good price on the 2000w and you'd spend less money for the pair of 2000w units and parallel kit, than the 3500w dual fuel. And if you didn't need a/c, you'd only need the one 50lb unit, vs hauling the much heavier 3500w unit.
I'm a fan of a pair of 2000w inverter generators because they are more versatile and will provide more power when paralleled
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Surprisingly enough, parts are available for the Predator engine albeit from unexpected sources. Predator engines are popular among the Go-Cart racers.

Funny thing though, most of these engines are so danged durable they really don't require much in the repair department.

I have a "Honda Clone" based generator that has been in service since 2004. Still starts easy, runs smooth, and used to power my old TT with ease.

Only thing these engines need is a new spark plug from time to time, oil changes depending on use, and cleaning the air cleaner. A couple hours on a weekend, once a year.

I did upgrade to an Inverter type as it's quieter.
My grandson can fix just about anything and would not let me even look at any other generator for the camper ... he will not buy much of anything he can not get parts for
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #31
Lets go camping!

Quote:

or Two of the below:

dont buy it from gander. Home Depot has it for $930

get the bigger one if you want to run the AC.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
dont buy it from gander. Home Depot has it for $930

get the bigger one if you want to run the AC.
But Gander has a great price on the 2000w model.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #33
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

or Two of the below:

If you don't care about the gasoline fueling of TWO generators, getting two of the 2000w are the best wattage bang for the buck. But... you'll need to be topping them BOTH off with fuel pretty often.

The dual fuel would be my choice as it will provide enough wattage to run an A/C and a few other things simultaneously and get through the night without having to refuel. (on propane)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If you don't care about the gasoline fueling of TWO generators, getting two of the 2000w are the best wattage bang for the buck. But... you'll need to be topping them BOTH off with fuel pretty often.

The dual fuel would be my choice as it will provide enough wattage to run an A/C and a few other things simultaneously and get through the night without having to refuel. (on propane)
This is one of those situations where one needs to carefully evaluate the pro's and con's of each. Lots to like about only having to have a small generator when only charging batteries but at the expense of it's limited output.

Parallel two and you might say your work just doubled.

Biggest downside to the single 3500 w Inverter is the fact it weighs more. But on the plus side, it will run AC units without having to install any "kits", will power more devices at the same time, no need to "assemble" at the campsite (stack, parallel kit, etc), and with the electric start it's about as easy at it gets.

Last item is run time without having to build your own gas station.

Decide which benefits you want and what issues you'd rather not deal with. Then pick the one that fits.

BTW, it is possible to run the Dual Fuel Champion from the outside kitchen low pressure LPG connection. Just need to do the necessary adapting which has been discussed on other threads. This can really extend run time if you have two 30# tanks aboard.

Another note, I recently paid $3.50 per gallon for gasoline. Propane is only $2.99 locally (no road taxes )

Tags
generator