Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
but do they not have a 60db law for national parks?
Not that I am aware of.. nor do I think it would be very enforceable without specialized equipment. That's not to say that if a ranger/warden doesn't like your genset, it is well within his authority to tell you to shut it off or even boot you from the area.

It's kind of self regulating though. Excessively loud gensets are typically the "construction" types. They typically don't have spark arrestors, so they are illegal to use in most nearly all State and Federally operated lands.

Privately owned CG's can set their own rules, so if they "say" it's too loud.. that's that.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Black View Post
...unless you're all alone in the middle of no where.
I would be even more concerned in that situation. You never know when you are truly "alone" out in the boonies. Folks that enjoy private camping are generally less tolerant of generators and there is a lot of "peer regulation" that goes on.

You are much more likely to have a neighbor you may be unaware of report you for using a construction type generator.. or worse.. wake up to cut pull strings or power cords.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
nor do I think it would be very enforceable without specialized equipment
Here's a sound meter for 30 bucks:

72-935 - TENMA - METER, SOUND LEVEL, 40-130DB, 3.5DB | Newark element14
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #14
I have the Champion 2000 watt, and my buddy has two. We've run them quite a bit. Very happy and $500 each. They see occasional use, not heavy regular use. As quiet as the Honda in economy mode, very slightly louder at full load. Just my experience.
2015 Micro Lite 25KS
2006 Suburban 2500 8.1 L
220Chap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Site Team
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I should be able to run everything off of 25 amps...I rand the AC and a few other things in my driveway off of a 20 circuit.
The AC might start and run on a 20A circuit as it is starting with no head. The second time it tries to start it will most likely trip the breaker. It is also hard on the compressor.

Although the ranger might not go around checking for spark arrestors, if your loud generator attracts attention or complaints then a missing arrestor is a valid reason to have its use banned.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #16
Okay, first off thanks for all of the info and advise. I have done a ton of research over the last 24 hours.

I called Briggs and Stratton 2 times and the unit I am looking at definitely has a approved spark arrestor. In fact it is geared / marked towards RV camping. (it has a specific dedicated RV 30 amp plug, separate 30 amp breaker and it even has a different muffler designed to be a bit more quieter.) There is even a video which shows how to replace the spark arrestor if needed.

There is a government publication that address noise level in campgrounds, but it concludes that there is no longer a major issue associated with generators anymore and that a specific noise standard is NOT preferred and that there should NOT be a "standard" noise level established for generators. Here is the link...

Next, I called Yellowstone and spoke to a senior ranger and I explained everything I was trying to do, what I was looking to buy and etc. She laughed a little when I started talking about the DB levels of generators..."well, I can assure you that we don't go around with DB meters in our trucks testing generators" She, told me generators were not near the problem they used to be...even the so called "construction" style. She told me if it were here she would buy the much less expensive Briggs and Stratton and that it would NOT be a problem. I thanked here for her time and advise...asked a few more unrelated questions and that was it.

That is what I am going to this newer model Briggs unit that is made for RV camping and save a lot of money.

I do appreciate everyone's help...I certainly know more about generators than I ever thought I would...

MichaelM is offline   Reply With Quote

camper, generator, tent camper