Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

Smile Good Morning to All

Writing from ABQ but am really located in Killeen/Fort Hood TX right now. Home visiting grandchildren and children until tomorrow. This is my second Forest River RV. The first was a Wildcat and it was quit an experience. I am hoping this FR3 will provide me with a better experience. I loved the set up for the Wildcat and it was great to take contracts and travel all over the great state of Texas in but it had not been sealed properly and essentially the backend fell out - Whoops!

I've had the FR3 for about 5 months now. Went in for 20 items to be repaired and all but 2 were done splendidly by Camper Clinic II in Buda TX. The one seems to be a miss, the other a design or placement flaw (Hopefully I'll get some advice from ya'll soon).

I have owned some form of trailer or RV for over 30 years, starting out with a Lance truck camper that my daughter and I learned to take on and off by ourselves when she was 10. Then had a used Aljo trailer - that I still love and my daughter, her husband and 2 children still use (1992 and still kicking).

This new adventure is something I have always wanted - a small class A. I loved the Minni Winnebego that I traded in for this - but no couch. I liked the size of that one and this one feels too big for me - but the amenities of this FR3 seem great so far. Sooo... This is my second time with Forest River and I look forward to talking to people about it and getting ideas of their experiences and advice.

Travel with my dog Hawkeye - he is often found in other people's pictures because he sits in the driver's seat of my Fiat convertible and is well known between Fort Rucker AL (where they made him an unofficial mascot) to Texas. He's a hoot.

I love to visit all the small fairs and horse events around Texas depending upon where I am. I'm tied up with the Army at Fort Hood right now so only anticipate short weekend trips for a while. Miss Corpus Christi where I sat with the Mini Winnebego hanging out over the bay and going over the bridge with the pelicans every morning. I loved the contracting because I was always somewhere from 13 weeks to 9 months and got to really know and love each area.

Have been to some fantastic RV parks through these past 10 years of traveling full time. Keep trying to retire but don't like it - love my profession and there get great opportunities to continue helping people - so - still semi-moving but not as much as I'd like to. New to the Fort Hood area and looking forward to exploring Lake Belton and Lake Travis and all the activities.

I hope to get to know some of you on this site and look forward to hearing more about you.

Cheers - N
Old 12-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Is the C/G at Fort Hood as nice as Ft Rucker? I have not been back to Hood since "66"! Youroo! !
Old 01-01-2017, 12:38 AM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio ! Enjoy your MH !
Old 01-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

Congrats on your new RV
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls. Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #6

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your FR3.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

Hello,
Have not met any CG while in either place. A few Air Force, but that has been about it. From when I was there for 5 days during Desert Storm, the base has changed a great deal. Has a nice little RV park at North Fort Hood. Has 12 great spots, but the rest is like parking on the tarmack, so I've moved into Killeen. May move to the Belton Lake Fort Hood Park when the weather gets nicer - but its a bit of a longer drive so I'm not sure.

Hope you and yours are having a wonderful New Year's day!

Cheers - N
Old 01-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

Welcome from Farmer NC