Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #1

Green, very green

Hello folks:

Brand new here, about as green as one gets. I used to camp in my younger days until I moved out to the mid-west from the LA area and spent the night in my friends class A he bought a few years ago. That got me hooked.

So I have been exposed to this lifestyle and his friends and now am looking for my first TT.

I look forward to this forum.
Tachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Welcome to the forum. I live in the midwest as well. I live in South Dakota. If you need helping deciding on a TT let us know. Glad to help.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #3

Thanks!!!

After reading the posts on TV I am doing some research to see what I can safely do, I have a 1/2 ton truck.....
Old 02-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Luckly they are making rv's lightier to be able to be pulled by 1/2 ton truck. But just make sure the quality is not less. My forest river is really good quality but have not had time to test real good.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #5

to the forum.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Tachdriver!
Please don't let the salesmen "over sell you" like they did me. Do your research, check the #s twice. The TT I bought was "1/2 Ton Towable". And, technically, it was. But it was not a comfortable thing to do. (I was right at the upper limits...) Leave yourself a good margin for error!

Hope you enjoy whatever you buy!

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Site Team

to help us help you, telling us the truck's engine size, cab type, rear end ratio and if it has the factory tow package.

also, knowing where you want to camp, what type of camping you want to do and how many will be staying in the TT.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #8

Yes, I agree with the others here. I would encourage you to look at a wide range of trailers from the pop up on up. Ask yourself questions like where are you wanting to gom or usually enjoy going and what kind of camper will work in those environs? What I am getting at is if you like cold weather camping or beach camping or the woods at the lake, some campers might be better suited for that.

On the other hand, what level of comfort and amenities are you wanting?

Where are you going to store the trailer when in not in use and do you have room for it if it is at your house?

One of the things I have learned and looked for in a trailer is the flooring. I still have young kids and honestly, I dont like alot of carpet in a camper because if I am camping at national park where they do not have electricty, a lot of carpet with kids is a pain in the neck to clean...but a vinyl floor is easily swept out with a broom. Now if you are in another stage of life and dont ever want to camp what folks call boondocking here with no hook ups, then this is not a potential issue for you...

Size is important but size can also be an issue. For instance if you like to visit national parks or national forests recreation areas, some campgrounds are accessible to trailers up to a certian size. There is a campground here in the Smokies called Cataloochee where you cant get a trailer over 27 feet because of the curve radii of the mountain roads.

The more questions you answer about your own needs the better off you will be with your purchase.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #9

Hello all I am taking my time in selecting and "right sizing" a TT.

I am single and do not plan to buy the 26' that I really want.

I have a 1996 Chev C1500 2wd extended cab, short bed.
5.7L 350 cid.
4 spd AT.
3.42 gearing.
Manuals says max towing is 6500 lbs...but that is the book not real world.

I plan on getting a TT that is 23' or less to be comfortable in camping and trailering. I have thought about changing the gearing to a 3.73 but not sure if that is going to make it much better.

75% of my camping is local, within 3 hour drive in KY state. The other 25% will be a one week trip in florida or 2 weeker out west. I considered pop-ups but that too me seems like too much work for me to pop up and down every time I move it. I also don't like the shower curtain effect in the bathroom.

I like the fully enclosed and also like the hybrids. I did not want a floor plan that was so small that I have to leave the TT to change my mind either......

Sometime soon I plan to have the truck weighed. I am reading the forums here and see that some folks travel a bit heavy, I am a fairly conservative traveler who likes good margins.

My transmission was just replaced and an external cooler was added for it.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachdriver
Hello all I am taking my time in selecting and "right sizing" a TT.

I am single and do not plan to buy the 26' that I really want.

I have a 1996 Chev C1500 2wd extended cab, short bed.
5.7L 350 cid.
4 spd AT.
3.42 gearing.
Manuals says max towing is 6500 lbs...but that is the book not real world.

I plan on getting a TT that is 23' or less to be comfortable in camping and trailering. I have thought about changing the gearing to a 3.73 but not sure if that is going to make it much better.

75% of my camping is local, within 3 hour drive in KY state. The other 25% will be a one week trip in florida or 2 weeker out west. I considered pop-ups but that too me seems like too much work for me to pop up and down every time I move it. I also don't like the shower curtain effect in the bathroom.

I like the fully enclosed and also like the hybrids. I did not want a floor plan that was so small that I have to leave the TT to change my mind either......

Sometime soon I plan to have the truck weighed. I am reading the forums here and see that some folks travel a bit heavy, I am a fairly conservative traveler who likes good margins.

My transmission was just replaced and an external cooler was added for it.
I am assuming because you are single, you are not necessarily camping alone...right? Maybe consider a 19 footer either hybrid or regular TT? We chose our TTs, all of them, based on sleeping capacity for our needs first.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #11

Smokeyroo:

Well I may have one more person but mostly I will be with a group of others who have thier own and I will be by myself.