Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Greetings

Being were all sitting around the camp fire…(dreaming as it snowing like crazy outside) I suppose the best way to start is by introducing ourselves.
My wife’s name is Kathy and mine is Tom. We’ve both just turned 60, raised 6 kids (4 boys 2 girls) we’ve tent camped (still do) with kids while they were growing up and now are looking to move up to something bigger. We’ve had our eyes on a new 2014 SilverBack 33LR but are unsure of what we should do now.
I’ve been reading on forums the pro and cons of 5th wheels, and an even bigger concern is when I’ve mentioned what we’re looking at the negative responses I’ve been getting. Someone spent me the link to this one and now I’m asking those that all ready own the brand we are looking at for some advice and honesty (as much as possible).
I just don’t want to shell out a lot of money, and then feel like we’ve made a big mistake. Can someone please help us??
As in any industry, there is the “top, middle and lower” end. It’s just we have no idea what is and what is not, and what to look for. Neither do I expect not to have issues with whatever we may purchase, just trying to avoid the major pit falls.
Thanks so much for reading this and I’m sure we’ll have plenty more questions.
Tom and Kathy

Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Anacortesians

Tom & Kathy:

Based on our experience, maybe you should look at used (maybe 3 years old) units. By the time they're that old, all the factory screw-ups should have been discovered and corrected and the chances are very good that the only things to worry about will be stuff wearing out.

We tried the RV lifestyle with an absolutely awful 26' Class C. The floorplan was unworkable, the chassis (an '85 For E350 with a 460 with a caburetor) was terrible. We gave up after 2 seasons ans sold it at a 50% loss.

When we decided to try again, we couldn't afford more than a certain amount in selling price. We found our rig in an ad in the local weekly newspaper. We went to see it, talked to the owners (who had owned it from new for 8 years) and decided to buy. They were giving up because of medical issues. He was asking about $8K less than KBB because that was what was left on the home equity loan they'd used to buy it.

We've really enjoyed the trips we've done, but rising gas prices (particularly if WA state proceeds with a proposed 12-cents a gallon increase in gas tax) and CG fees (what once was $20/night is now $40 or more). we probably will have to give it up.

Our personal preference was a Class A. Our family car is too heavy to dolly tow and too expensive to modify for four-down. so we've evolved a travelling style where we do our sightseeing as we travel from one CG to the next, often less than 50 miles apart.

Everyone has different priorities and preferences, so I'm just throwing our experience out as one example.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Welcome from Dawsonville, Georgia!!
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #4

Thank You
Old 02-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

i think the first thing you do is find the floorplans you like and then go out and look at each brand's version of the floorplans you like.

asking for internet feedback is no substitute for you actually looking at and around, in person, those that you seem to like.
we didn't rely on people on the internet telling us what was top, middle and lower quality.
looking at prices is the easiest indicator for that.

we looked at every brand we could find and created our own top, middle and lower list, that was based on our own opinion of quality and fit/finish. we then looked at our top ones and compared prices on each of them.
that's how we ended up with our.

every brand has its fans and haters. it's like asking: which truck is better, Ford, Chevy or Dodge?
some manufacturers, like Keystone does arrange theirs in categories. Keystone does list their 5th wheels in Standard, Select, Premium and Luxury.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i think the first thing you do is find the floorplans you like and then go out and look at each brand's version of the floorplans you like.

asking for internet feedback is no substitute for you actually looking at and around, in person, those that you seem to like.
we didn't rely on people on the internet telling us what was top, middle and lower quality.
looking at prices is the easiest indicator for that.

we looked at every brand we could find and created our own top, middle and lower list, that was based on our own opinion of quality and fit/finish. we then looked at our top ones and compared prices on each of them.
that's how we ended up with our.

every brand has its fans and haters. it's like asking: which truck is better, Ford, Chevy or Dodge?
some manufacturers, like Keystone does arrange theirs in categories. Keystone does list their 5th wheels in Standard, Select, Premium and Luxury.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good suggestions have been provided. Also attending an RV show is a great way to compare different RVs side-by-side. The more time you spend in a RV of interest can help to see if it could be a good fit or not. Of course using it in real life is the actual test. RVs are like new shoes - trying them on for a few minutes can be much different than wearing them for an extended period of time.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

hello and welcome from Idaho.