Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
Greetings from John Anne and Les

We will be picking up our 2014 Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL in two weeks from a Camping World facility. We bought it sight unseen after looking at many other 26-30 foot trailers. We liked the idea of the outside door to the bathroom for our one year old, rather than having the outside kitchen on the 281QBXL version.

Camping World put the hard sell on a Weight Distributing Hitch and anti sway system. Our Cayenne has an air suspension system so I was not planning on getting a WDH. I figured I would try towing first and see how it goes before getting any anti sway set up. It is rated at 700# TW and 7700# GW. The trailer weighs 5600#.

I have never towed a large trailer, however I did own a 1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial 37' Motorhome for ten years.

My Holiday Rambler had 2 large batteries, which was great for dry camping, (and a generator of course) I was thinking about getting two batteries on this rig as well.

I'm thinking Camping World has plenty of time to get this TT ready for me, but I doubt they will be doing anything unless prodded. I have to tow this TT about 10 hours after I pick it up.

Any comments to my post would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	salem cruise lite.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	54754  

John Anne and Les
2014 Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL
2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Welcome John Anne and Les and congrats on your 2014 Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL. You might want to download a PDI checklist from forum library or google/bing one. E-mail it to the CW service dept or your salesperson so they know exactly what you expect. Follow up with a personal phone call a couple days before you're scheduled to do the PDI and pick it up just to make sure all is in order. Also tell them it's a 10 hour drive and you won't sign anything or give them the final check until you're 100% satisfied.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Welcome from Indiana and congratulations on the new TT. We have a 5th wheel now, but owned three travel trailers before that. Our last one was about the size of the one you are getting. I pulled it with a 250 Ford Diesel. The truck had plenty of towing capacity and was rated to tow the trailer off the hitch. But I used a weight distribution system anyway. Everything I have read and learned said that it is always better to use a weight distribution system and I sure felt better about it when I was towing.

Good luck!
Ron and Elizabeth
2014 Rockwood 8285-IKWS
2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel 4x4
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Welcome to FRF.
I agree a fine tooth combing is totally needed on this unit BEFORE you sign a thing or hand over any monies.
A complete walk thru is needed to check for any problems that may exist.
And I agree with you that a whip and chair may be needed to get things done YOUR way.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
I moved the thread to another section after the response I received from the dealer...
John Anne and Les
2014 Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL
2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote