Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

Greetings from Oregon!

My husband and I will be picking up our first RV--not counting an old tent trailer we had years ago when our boys were still at home--on Friday: a 2010 Tracer 205 Micro. We are really excited about our new adventure. I saw some photos of the same trailer as ours in Banff posted on this forum, and it made me want to head right out! We love camping, but I'm getting too old for a tent. This little trailer should be perfect!

Looking forward to getting to know some of you!
susantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #2

Well Greetings, We live in Virginia, But my wife's family is from Eugene. We are going to a family reuion this year at Gold Beach over the 4th of july, plan to do a little fishing in the Rouge River, Love Oregon and welcome............
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome.
"Gresham is situated at the mouth of the Columbia River Gorge in Multnomah County."
(I see on the internet)
So, where is a really good campground to stay for a week or two if we want to go fishing on the river? I love fishing and Oregon is great for fishing. Spent a week on the Chetco River at Brookings Harbor, not to long ago. If you get down that way check out Loebs State Park, it is really nice.

Take care,
Jim
Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the greetings!

Buffalohunter, I'm afraid I can't think, offhand, of a great, nearby campground. Being so close to the Columbia, we never actually camp there. I would have to look on a map. Do you want it right on the river? What kind of fishing would you be doing?

I will try to remember Loebs, for when we head south. thanks for the recommendation!

Susan
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

Hi susantm,

You are welcome, Loebs State Park is super nice with easy access to the water, you just walk a tiny bit. Lots of trees and shade. I am looking forward to it again soon.

Re: the Columbia
Sure, right on the river is preferable but not mandatory. I like fly fishing, but I can fish from the bank or in an inflatable boat. I would be hoping to catch a salmon or steelhead.

I guess you are like us we live in Martinez which is on the Carquinez Straights which is fed by the Sacramento, San Juaquin Rivers and flows right by the Napa River and then into San Pablo Bay and San Francisco Bay - but we never camp there. It is all with in an hours drive, so no need to camp. Just go and come home.

Take care,
Jim
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

There is a nice state park right on the mouth of the Deschutes river. Another right across the US97 bridge on the WA side.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Webfoot

Buffalohunter-

The Deschutes is a much better fly fishing river than the Columbia. There are a lot of beautiful places in central Oregon. My favorite place in the state is the Camp Sherman area on the Metolius River.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackor View Post
Buffalohunter-

The Deschutes is a much better fly fishing river than the Columbia. There are a lot of beautiful places in central Oregon. My favorite place in the state is the Camp Sherman area on the Metolius River.

SHHHHH Not too loud. We don't want too many outsiders knowing about one of the best places in the state to camp do we?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Webfoot

Don- I debated even mentioning the Metolius. You're probably right - I might need to go back and delete that post

Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #10

Thanks, I am keeping my notes. ;.-)
Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #11

There us a great book on OR/WA campgrounds out there. It lists the campgrounds by region north to south.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #12

Congratulations and welcome from Nova Scotia.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #13

I have to agree about the Metolius--with both comments! We tent camped there a year ago, and it was very peaceful.

I asked my husband about the best places to steelhead and salmon fish on the Columbia, but he got sidetracked and didn't give me an answer yet. He likes to fish for steelhead in the Columbia and Sandy rivers in the winter, and his favorite place to salmon fish is the Little Nestucca River in Pacific City in October. He has fly fished before, but usually goes farther up Mt. Hood for that--on the Sandy or Salmon rivers.

I'll try to get more out of him later. :-)

Susan