Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #1

Greetings from Pacifica, California

We just graduated from a 16X10 tent into a toy hauler: 2012 Stealth SK2112. Our maiden voyage will be Memorial Weekend...... I choose a KOA since they are normally full of nice experienced RV/Trailer ppl, nice sites & pull throughs. This way we can get into and out of the spot easily for our first time and try out the full hook ups. I can't wait to start the new camping life style. Next time maybe we can even bring the toys!
abad98eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper!! Hope you have many fun filled trips with it!!

Enjoy!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #3

Welcome, what KOA you going to stay at.
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper!! Hope you have many fun filled trips with it!!

Enjoy!!
X2!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

It's called Sacramento River KOA (used to be called Tower Park).
Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Sounds like a good choice for first time outing! Be sure to give us an update on your maiden yoyage. We love pictures so feel free to share.

I had a slow start out the gate for my maiden yoyage - finally gave up and ended up at a campground a few miles from home. It made a great starter cg for a newbie - close to family with experience.

BTW - Where in CA is Pacifica located?

Take care,
Terier

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

We are sticking somewhat close to home as well. Under 2 hours away and near a lot of ppl who RV. Pacifica is 13 miles s of San Francisco. It is home to the only Taco Bell on the beach! We actually have a pretty nice RV park here but I can't see staying in it even for the first trip LOL. Once we have pictures I will post them. We pick her up Saturday
Old 06-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #8

Update on 1st trip out

Hi all! So we learned that Tower Park KOA in the Sacramento Delta probably wasn't our best choice. It was crowded and the rules were not observed by the guests. The good part was that the camp sites are sheltered from the heavy winds at the top of the levee and the facility is clean. We also learned we needed a longer sewer hose and KOA came through for us at their store. Overall it was a good 1st experience. No major lessons or problems!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Site Team

When did you go?

The sewer hose that comes in the kit is a "starter" hose. My service department staff member said she would upgrade the sewer hose asap which I did before heading out. I could easily see the difference beside in length.

Now that the first trip is over do you have plans for your next trip?

Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #10

Yeah we found that out. We got the extender and a coupler that hooks into the sewer pipes at the campgrounds. The service dept may have mentioned it to us when we bought it but I don't recall that. This is precisely why we choose the maiden voyage spot to be a KOA. They're near major cities or hwys and or have stores. We went out Memorial Weekend which was a mistake due to the noise & crowdedness but it was the only weekend we had open before we go for a longer trip away. Needed to get the kinks out & find out how everything worked first. We're taking the second trip in a few weeks to a place called 49er Village Home Page. And in July we're going to Welcome To Pine Acres Resort 707-275-2811 for about a week. Terier you are lucky! There are a lot of nice places in So Cal to go for all sorts of different activities. We have dirt bikes & a quad but most places near where we live do not offer OHV nearby. Some do but they're dry camping. I'm not sure i'm ready for that yet! . How about you where are you going next?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Site Team

The good part is that the cg had a store & it worked out. Last year when I went to Big Sur with my late brother and his wife we stopped overnight to break up the drive. We ended up driving 26 miles after dark to the nearest Walmart to get an adapter for the sewer hose. That road belongs in the mountains with all of it twisting turns - 52 miles of turns.

I will check out the links you provided - always looking for nice places to add to my "wishlist" of places to visit. I can't wait until I am free to wander.

I'm not ready for dry camping either. After tent camping I am in love with hookups! Dry camping can be fun too but since I'm alone I rather have the comfort of power. When I was tent camping I stayed at El Captian SB just north of San Barbara. I really like that campground. They don't have hookups but someday I would love to go back and spend a couple of days there in my trailer

I'm heading out to San Clemente SB tomorrow morning. Been there several times so I do like it. It's not my ideal cg but it works for me. Then for the 4th of July I'm sticking close to home. Cottonwood @ Ranch Jupura is a very nice cg that I stayed at for my maiden trip. Unless the city (Riveside) changes things I should be able to see the fireworks from the campsites.

Remember to keep us updated on your upcoming trips.
Take care,
Terie

Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #12

Sounds nice! If you get over to northern Ca we hear New Brighton SB is good. But you are used to nice weather.... so be prepared. It's cold & foggy here in comparison & dependent on the season and weather patterns. New Brighton SB. We're not going anywhere 4th of July. Sticking it out at home. How much longer until you can be "free" to roam? Hope you are enjoying your trip!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Site Team

New Brighton SB is so good, it's nearly impossible to get reservations, especially for the few with hookups. they seem to never be available.
we've only had luck staying there, during off-season weekdays.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abad98eb View Post
How much longer until you can be "free" to roam? Hope you are enjoying your trip!
February/March 2013 unless Toyota gives me an offer to get out of the lease early without additional costs. I thought I would be able to trade in early but once I saw the numbers I opted to wait it out.

San Clemente is really nice. Cooler here than home but comfortable. I was wore out yesterday but woke up refresh and ready to hit the beach today. Ran into a co-worker at the campground when I was walking around as the sun was setting. We work at the same high school but he is a teacher.

Someday I have do something about having Internet access while camping. In the meantime I visit McD's a lot getting my money worth drinking Iced Tea and using their free Internet.

Terie