Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
RAC

Greetings from Richmond, VA

Hello everyone. Was sitting at work this morning and found this forum. Have already "met" a couple of great folks. Anyway, the wife and I have been doing tons of research, looking, browsing, asking questions, etc.....and have decided on the 831FKSS. We have 3 girls, 16, 13 and 11 and all of us are avid tent campers as well. With the pull out couch and the table area, we decided the girls (they decided too) that they could sleep just fine there. We were looking at the long term of being on our own with no kids in about 7 years and enjoying the spaciousness later on......and of course, now that I sit here and read stuff, I am thinking maybe the bunk house isn't such a bad idea. Sheesh. Fortunately our dealer has severl models in stock, so in the next week or so we will pick up one of them. The nice thing is that they all have the necessary bells and whistles and upgrades.....we should get into one for about 22K out the door. The dealer (Southern RV) doesn't look to gouge anyone from what we have seen and heard. There are several thousands of dollars in difference from all of the RV dealers in the area. Anyway, I always appreciate suggestions and ideas, so fire away. I will update you in a couple of weeks and let you know what's following my truck. My friends call me Steve.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #2

Steve,

Again, Welcome to FRF. The 831FKSS is a nice looking floorplan. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. As for the bunkhouse....... I've already given you my answer on that one. You've got about 6 or 7 more years camping with the kiddos. It'll almost be new trailer time by then.

I've got 10 years to go with my setup. And my kiddos are girls as well and having their own space is a big deal to them. Change clothes, etc..... Girls.

Once my ladies are out of HS and nolonger camping with us then the truck, trailer, and motorcycle get traded in for new ones. Then it's just me and the boss lady.

Let us know what you decide and ask any questions you may have.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
RAC

I'm hearing you Greg.....I sold my 2002 FLHRCI last year for the kids.....perhaps I will talk her into the bunk house. I like sitting outside anyway and enjoying all the sights and sounds....I was thinking about 10 years on a trailer, then getting my bigass F350 with duelies and getting the Montana 5th wheel I like so much.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
I'm hearing you Greg.....I sold my 2002 FLHRCI last year for the kids.....perhaps I will talk her into the bunk house. I like sitting outside anyway and enjoying all the sights and sounds....I was thinking about 10 years on a trailer, then getting my bigass F350 with duelies and getting the Montana 5th wheel I like so much.
I was wondering about the dog named Harley Some pics of my scoot http://forestriverforums.com/forums/...read.php?t=610

"F350 with duelies and getting the Montana 5th wheel" Way nice!!

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #5

Welcome to the forums Steve from another Virginian . I am a little west of you in Lynchburg. Glad you found the forum and we look forward to hearing from you.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
Hello everyone. Was sitting at work this morning and found this forum. Have already "met" a couple of great folks. Anyway, the wife and I have been doing tons of research, looking, browsing, asking questions, etc.....and have decided on the 831FKSS. We have 3 girls, 16, 13 and 11 and all of us are avid tent campers as well. With the pull out couch and the table area, we decided the girls (they decided too) that they could sleep just fine there. We were looking at the long term of being on our own with no kids in about 7 years and enjoying the spaciousness later on......and of course, now that I sit here and read stuff, I am thinking maybe the bunk house isn't such a bad idea. Sheesh. Fortunately our dealer has severl models in stock, so in the next week or so we will pick up one of them. The nice thing is that they all have the necessary bells and whistles and upgrades.....we should get into one for about 22K out the door. The dealer (Southern RV) doesn't look to gouge anyone from what we have seen and heard. There are several thousands of dollars in difference from all of the RV dealers in the area. Anyway, I always appreciate suggestions and ideas, so fire away. I will update you in a couple of weeks and let you know what's following my truck. My friends call me Steve.
Welcome steve. These guys know their stuff. Loads of good info here.

JR
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #7

there are a few modles out there with a double bed under a single bunk . when the kids are gone you can take another couple with you and let them spoon in the bottom bunk and make the adult trips that the kid never wanted to go on . my 5er has a back bed room with this setup in the slide.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfans View Post
there are a few modles out there with a double bed under a single bunk . when the kids are gone you can take another couple with you and let them spoon in the bottom bunk and make the adult trips that the kid never wanted to go on . my 5er has a back bed room with this setup in the slide.
And if I am reading this right, then the "spooning" couple can keep
their luggage on the upper bunk. Along with all their "toys".

And I am sure Welshmen thought I was the only one around
here with a one track mind.

(Whoops, just so happen that my Cherokee 26 BH )
HAS THIS SAME LAYOUT!

Maybe an expanded restroom is the way to go?

But wait, even a bigger bathroom could be an asset
to the spooners!

Party, Party, Party!

Annonyomus
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINA View Post
And if I am reading this right, then the "spooning" couple can keep
their luggage on the upper bunk. Along with all their "toys".

And I am sure Welshmen thought I was the only one around
here with a one track mind.

(Whoops, just so happen that my Cherokee 26 BH )
HAS THIS SAME LAYOUT!

Maybe an expanded restroom is the way to go?

But wait, even a bigger bathroom could be an asset
to the spooners
Party, Party, Party!
Annonyomus

ROFLMPAO (P for perverted)
Old 07-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Howdy Steve...
I'm new around this forum as well. Just picked up a new 2008 myself. Sure is sweeeeeet. It's real hard to say we're 'camping' when our new trailer has a
26" LCD HiDef TV sitting on the fireplace!
Now that's roughin' it!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Howdy Steve...
I'm new around this forum as well. Just picked up a new 2008 myself. Sure is sweeeeeet. It's real hard to say we're 'camping' when our new trailer has a
26" LCD HiDef TV sitting on the fireplace!
Now that's roughin' it!

yourself!!!!

Hope you enjoy the rig!