Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags2237 View Post
Hey mmm, thanks for the consideration. Yep, daily driving required more than the pulling of TT. Is the Eco boost a 6 cyc? Never owned Ford, just gmc and Toyota. Tell me more about the weight consideration and what to make sure of on this. Also, info on if I should consider wdh, sways, type of tire blocks, and even best way to level unit when backing into camping spot......hitch block, tire ramps, etc.
Current unit is 2012 23ssROO, tv is 2002 gmc Yukon Denali. Thanks for any ideas you may have. As you can tell, pretty much a newbie to the TT scene, moving up from pop up which was a breeze. Thanks, Greg

Yes, it is a 3.5 L V6 twin turbocharged engine making big HP and torque AND that doesn't change at altitude. The "eco" part is heavily subject to the weight of your right foot. Mileage reports are all over the map so it is very hard to tell. Mine is a lifetime average of 16.7 on the screen, but my calculation is 16.4. Towing in the mountains, I get 11 unless it is all climb. The "boost" part never quits. You will be able to maintain speed uphill if you want to and pass when needed. I don't have the max tow package but given the option, I would have bought that. I do have the 535 or normal tow package and have no issues. The difference between the two varies depending on the trim level of the selected truck, so if you don't get a max tow do some homework.

I don't have the Roo 23, but with my 23 Surveyor I currently use an E2 WD hitch with 800 lb bars. I will probably change to an Equal-i-zer at some point, but the E2 came with the trailer. My new hitch will be a compromise between cost, comfort and weight requirements of the trailer/truck. I could spend more and get an Anderson or ProPride, but I don't personally see the need for my adventures. I think you will just need to do your homework and pick the one that best matches your needs/wants.

Edit: I had to go find this, but the manufacturers make so many different packages that the homework I mentioned is needed. These are the available towing and payload amounts for all the models and trim levels.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/
As long as you buy the ecoboost, the towing isn't a problem. The payload is the most common issue on that we see on the ecoboost forum.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #12

Welcome,
That Roo Hybrid is a nice unit, you'll really enjoy the amenities it provides. At just over 6k Gross weight, the full tow packages as madmax describes are a must for us Rocky Mountain travelers. One thing to consider, I upgraded from an 03 F150 to an 07 Ram 2500 diesel.
What I found out is that in 08 (07.5 for the Ram) most manufacturers made some major engine improvements and went to 6 speed transmissions. If you're like me and have a bit of sticker shock dealing with new prices, you might consider a "pre-owned" TV. I'd say use the Yukon for now. It's basically a 1/2 ton GMC and see what if it performs for you. If an upgrade is in the future for you I wouldn't be afraid to look at something '08 or newer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9888.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	58770  

Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Also, if turbo gas engine not your thing...GM just came out with the 6.2L V8 in their 1500 series trucks that make 400 HP and 460 ft/lb torque...strongest in the half ton truck class but like most non turbo trucks, most of your peak power will come at higher rpms (4-4500K). Just another bit of info
Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Hey mmm, thanks for the consideration. Yep, daily driving required more than the pulling of TT. Is the Eco boost a 6 cyc? Never owned Ford, just gmc and Toyota. Tell me more about the weight consideration and what to make sure of on this. Also, info on if I should consider wdh, sways, type of tire blocks, and even best way to level unit when backing into camping spot......hitch block, tire ramps, etc.
Current unit is 2012 23ssROO, tv is 2002 gmc Yukon Denali. Thanks for any ideas you may have. As you can tell, pretty much a newbie to the TT scene, moving up from pop up which was a breeze. Thanks, Greg
Hi Greg,

Since you asked, I will speak for the Ford EcoBoost Denomination

We ordered our truck from the factory because we wanted the max towing and Pin weight we could get in a F150 (madmax is right...1/2 is really a misnomer when you trick out a F150 for towing)

Our Sig says it all - that is what we ordered from the factory. Took 'em 5 weeks to build it and that was with July 4th in the middle of the build cycle. Bottom line is we can Tow 11,300, but only because we got every towing option (and the 3.73 axle).

Now, if you forsee getting one of the REALLY Big 5th Wheels, you will need to move into the F250 class of trucks (and, honestly, if you are factory ordering AND anticipate a big rig 5th wheel in your future you might as well get a 250). A F250, properly equipped will tow up to 24,700 with the 6.2L Turbo Diesel

RE: your hitch question, Reese makes just about the best WDH out there IMO (others like Andersen and Husky)

RE: Camper Leveling - most of us have converted over the the Andersen levelers - much easier than the lego blocks

Keep the questions coming and we will keep trying to anser 'em!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

Hi Greg,

Since you asked, I will speak for the Ford EcoBoost Denomination

We ordered our truck from the factory because we wanted the max towing and Pin weight we could get in a F150 (madmax is right...1/2 is really a misnomer when you trick out a F150 for towing)

Our Sig says it all - that is what we ordered from the factory. Took 'em 5 weeks to build it and that was with July 4th in the middle of the build cycle. Bottom line is we can Tow 11,300, but only because we got every towing option (and the 3.73 axle).

Now, if you forsee getting one of the REALLY Big 5th Wheels, you will need to move into the F250 class of trucks (and, honestly, if you are factory ordering AND anticipate a big rig 5th wheel in your future you might as well get a 250). A F250, properly equipped will tow up to 24,700 with the 6.2L Turbo Diesel

RE: your hitch question, Reese makes just about the best WDH out there IMO (others like Andersen and Husky)

RE: Camper Leveling - most of us have converted over the the Andersen levelers - much easier than the lego blocks

Keep the questions coming and we will keep trying to anser 'em!
...I think you meant to say F350 DRW 6.7 TD can tow 24,700 lbs
Old 07-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
23ss ROOster

All you RV'rs are awesome with your suggestions and input. I want to set up this 23 'er as comfortable as possible for me and my honey (hitch, bars, levers, etc). Not sure if we'll go up from here, never know....right? Truck wise, I'm hunting now. New truck prices are shocking the heck out me. If I go used what can I figure will last longer term for pulling this 23'er for awhile, mainly camping in Colorado, but some long distance travelng as well..Texas, Canada, etc. My gmc is a sagger and I don't want to put anything in her (springs, lifts, shocks, etc). Keep the suggestions coming....open to any idea you experienced rv'rs have for me. Greg

PS: what checklist of anticpated issues can I realize in this 2012 23ss ROO? water purifier, furnance, fuses, frig, H2O heater, etc. We dry camp much more than we plug in. I carry Honda genie with me at all times. Let me know. Thanks again, Greg.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks dcheartwood. Agree, the Tundra has a lot to offer. Does the 5.7 have the hp for mountain driving, pulling? Any model years to stay away from? Thanks for your help.
I'm on my second tundra. First a 2002 with 4.7L and now the 2008 with 5.7L. I pulled a 26' TT w the 4.7 to Yellowstone by way of Estes Pk and again to Royal gorge, Durango, Santa fe. It struggled in strong headwinds and steep mountains.
I pulled that TT and 2 5ers with the 5.7 since 2009. Never any power issues. 5ers are 9000lbs and 8000lbs. Been from Louisiana to Virginia up blue ridge parkway through smokies, all over Ozarks and numerous trips to Estes pk. Including 3 weeks, 4700 miles last September to Yellowstone and up the Beartooth scenic hey into Montana. NEVER any doubts about performance. 380 HP and 400 ftlbs. Never whines in lower gears as some on here comment about.
I have many pics of my tundra and rockwood all over the Rockies. I'll be at Goshen rally in 2 weeks.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #18

I'm guessing if you were willing to save a few $ on the TT buying a 2012 you'd likely do likewise on the TV. I can tell you long or short haul in the mountains there is nothing that replaces more torque and horsepower. Couldn't be happier with the upgrade to diesel power. Most of the pre-owned units will be diesel and in my experience you can expect to save about 1/2 over new without sacrificing much more than the new car smell
That said the newer turbo gassers work really well too.
One thing with your upgraded TT get a good WDH with sway control. I wouldn't leave home without mine. Sure makes towing safer and easier on the TV.
We dry camp a lot as well using the Forest Service camp grounds and BLM land. We'll be down by Ridgeway this fall then to Cortez and Albuquerque for the balloon festival.
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
Camper Less Camping

To the OP, I'd suggest going on to youtube and look for clips from "TheFastLane", they have great tested comparisons of most trucks towing a load on the Gauntlet Pass...you'll get a great perspective on the pro's and cons of each truck to help with your research
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
...I think you meant to say F350 DRW 6.7 TD can tow 24,700 lbs
Thanks for the Catch Cajun!

Actually we are both off the mark - I checked th 2014 Ford Towing Guide
(http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...typu_sep11.pdf)

And it is the F450 that can kank 24,700
F350 - 22,800
F250 - 23,200

And what's up with a 250 able to tow more than a 350?

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount