Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #1

Happy new guy

I've had a heck of a time posting on this site. Pretty sure it is working now. I just bought a new 2014 wa2715 stealth toy hauler. I can't wait to take it out for our first campout. That being said is there any tips for " the don'ts " for set up or usage will camping. I'm a first time hauler owner! My job while in college was a class B, AAA tow truck driver so pulling and hooking up shouldn't be a problem. I run a 2011 6.7 F-350. But any tips and tricks from you vets out there may make my first outing a fun and uneventful one. My main thoughts are securing my toys inside the trailer. I'd love to hear some tips on that. Thanks in advance. Chris
Chris91w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your 2014 Stealth wa2715. One tip on set-up, don't disconnect you camper from your F350 until you know your water hose and electric cord will reach the campground connections.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #3

I see how that would be annoying. Thank you
Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #4

lol. That is so true but how many of us just forget to check the length. Hahaha.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Congrats on camper...tip: make sure to put wheel chocks in before unhitching/hitching on a slope site! LOL

Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #6

Tire pressure and wheel lug torque would be first before every trip.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome and congrats on your 2014 Stealth wa2715. One tip on set-up, don't disconnect you camper from your F350 until you know your water hose and electric cord will reach the campground connections.
Good suggestion! I used to set up the sewer hose last after unhitching but once I was about an inch short and had to hitch up and move slightly.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 AM   #8

That was the worst two inch move ever. I like the tire pressure and lug nut tip as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #9

Happy new guy

If you have a fifth wheel, don't make the same mistake I made when hitching up. It had been snowing making the ground wet. I backed into the pin and the fifth wheel just rolled over the wheel chocks. I had the front jacks on eight inch blocks. To make a long story short, the rig failed to lock onto the pin, the rig rolled backwards, fell off the blocks and crushed the bed of my F-450. Almost $4K damage to truck bed and a $100 to rig. Lessons learned: install a bed saver and use the expandable wheel chocks between the trailer tires on both sides. Whatever you do, don't place your front jacks on a block more than two inches high to distribute the weight. Every RV Dealer ought to warn buyers of this possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure you have a good wdh preferably one with integrated sway control. Pay attention to obstacles in your campsite for setup, i.e. trees preventing opening your awning, fire pit not to close to awning or rig etc. Have your spotter use walkie talkies instead of hand gestures or shouting. If nighttime, turn headlights off and leave running lights on do your not blinding others while backing in and leveling etc. Check side to side level before unhooking. We have had to hook back up to put the trailer on the lynx levelers. Remember stab jacks are not for leveling. Bring a notepad so you can write down things you want to put in your th next trip out. Camping near home or Wal-Mart is a big plus so you can easily get forgotten items. I always make a packing list. After forgetting important parts to meals, i.e. ketchup for hot dogs I have learned to write out each meal plan and what I need to make it. I check the items off as they go into the trailer. Stocking your th like a small version of the house us good. This means separate linens, pots, dishes, silverware, and toiletries that stay in the trailer. We try to only have to bring clothes and food back and forth.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #11

I love these tips you guys. Thx so much for them. I can't wait to get the rig out for a nice vacation. We bought the toy hauler over a month ago and haven't even used it yet. I'm afraid our 3 yr warrenty will run out before i take the thing out. I was told to make a list of thing that need fixing right away and the only way to get that list is to use the trailer. My family loves to camp and fish, hunt and ride. We are pretty sure we made the right choice on trailers to suit our needs. My wife has taken pretty ill since we bought the thing. Our plan was to have something a bit more comfortable than a tent and that type of camping. We are a younger couple 38 and 39 yrs old so tent camping hasn't taking its toll on us yet lol. But due to my wife's illness and how she didn't want to let anything stop her from doing the things she likes to we opted on this toy hauler. My dream is to get her into it and go wherever she wants in her new comfy toy. So thanks for all the tips as if we are able to go camping we want as much as an uneventful trip as possible. Keep them coming guys.