Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

Hello

A short into to how I got here:

3 years ago started looking at campers. At that time we had a min an and quickly realized we couldn't tow what we wanted. Thus, we started looking at motor coaches, then cabins, then lake houses. In the end, we did nothing as the "lets get a camper for the family got a little carried away". So, 2 years ago we did the exact same thing. Bought nothing. Then last year we decided let's jut start slow and bought a popup. Well, after a couple trips we realized the van was not a pleasurable tow vehicle, so we bought a new Tahoe. This winter, we were sitting around and said.... "Wait a minute, we can now tow something bigger". So off to the dealer we went to buy our new Grey Wolf 25MB (Patriot Edition as they are known in Omaha).

We have 3 kids; 10, 12 and one who will be 16 this summer and likely not camping much. The quad bunks and Murphy bed should serve us well and the 25ft was as big as I wanted to go.. Still think I will be near my limit of the Tahoe. Will be taking delivery next Friday and already have several trips reserved. Most camping will be fairly local. As I explain it, the camper is the weekend getaway for us, not a vacation. Vacation for me is in a nice hotel, preferable with all-inclusive ammenities.

Now that we won't be a second class popup citizen (just kidding), we look forward to meeting up at the campgrounds!
Jayfro04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Always Learning

We camped for many years in tents in spring and fall because summer was too stinking hot and winter was too dang cold! We did do one summer beach camping trip and then opted for cabins at the campground because it reminded me that summer was too stinking hot!

All of that changed in 2010 when friends of my wife talked about all of the great fun family time they were having camping in a pop up. And then they were upgrading to a travel trailer and were selling that pop up that had air conditioning, heat, running water, you name it! About the same time, I fell into a free Thousand Trails membership and we were hooked!

We spent a glorious year in the pop up. After that we decided we wanted to spend more time out and a few more home-like comforts and we went to the other extreme and ended up with the fifth wheel that we now have!

Anyway! :welcome:
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

LOL - I've had campgrounds tell us no tents or tent trailers before although that seemed pretty snooty to me, as long as folks are good campers who cares what they sleep in. Sounds like you'll really enjoy your new TT
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I used to camp with my Grandmother growing up, then after I got married we camped tents for years, even have been awaken as we were floating out the tent door and we loved it. Then 3 or 4 years ago we decided to go to thee UP in Michigan with a friend that has a Fifth wheel. After we had been setting up camp for over 3 hours, extremely tired, he arrived and within 20 minutes he was all set up and heading for the falls, needless to say on the way home we started looking at campers, went to many shows and said that we could not afford to own one. Then two octobers ago driving down the road we found a 28ft Fifth wheel in a repo yard. After much negotiations we ended up buying it, as it was in awsome shape for being a 2000 Cardnial. Then back in september this past year we went to another show, didnt see anything that we liked and on the way home we drove by a dealer and now we own a 2013 Columbus 295RL and are happy with it. Sorry I babbled I just wanted to share my experience!!!
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

We did the same thing, traded in the pop up after one year for a travel trailer.

Sometimes no tents or poups are not allowed due to the wildlife that may be around like Bears. But I imagine in FL may be due to reptiles.
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Congrats on the new Grey Wolf! Friday is just a couple days away so you & the family must be excited. I think camping & RVing is plain fun! There's something about working hard so you can just relax that draws me in. As I'm writing this I am thinking ahead to my upcoming outing in the middel of nowhere, sitting around the fire.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

Congrats on your new Grey Wolf 25MB.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum. I am fairly new myself. We also tent camped when we were first married and LOVED it! We live out in the country and 3 years ago on our way into town, we spotted a popup for sale on the side of the road. We had discussed buying one several years back, but just hadn't found a deal. We stopped and looked at it and ended up buying it. We camped a lot and loved our popup. We went to a camper show this January and were looking for a new popup. We found the one we liked, but continued to look around. We walked into a Shamrock 25RS and fell in love with it! I was sold on the idea of not having to crank it up and down and pulling out the bunk ends! We ended up buying the Shamrock and we went on out maiden voyage on President's Day Weekend and had a great time even though it was cold and we spent most of our time indoors. Of course we are still getting in some driveway camping, we are counting down the days til our next big trip Memorial Day weekend. We are headed to the beach!
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote