Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Hello all!

So hi, I'm Margaux. I've just bought my very first trailer, a rather ancient 14' Appalache, which I'm pulling with my jeep liberty. I wanted to take my dog with me on my summer job and the only way to do this was to be driving my own rig, so I decided to spring for it. Of course the fact that this means that I get to have my own place versus sharing a room totally played into this... But still. This is my very, very first time ever pulling a trailer and I'm terrified! And I have a lot of questions. I've dealt with trailers before, hitching and unhitching them at work, but I've always been the navigator, not the driver. And I've never had to deal with any issues that come with trailer (especially old trailer) ownership. So any help I can get is welcome!
Thank you in advance for all your patience with my many panicky questions!
Margaux

Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. While this a Forrest River forum, you should still get plenty of help and support. As for towing, never cut a corner close. Take your trailer to an empty parking lot. Preferably one with with a double row of parking, nose to tail, and a lane on each side. Park your vehicle normal, pulling through the first space, and into the next one, getting ready to pull on through when you exit. Stop in the second space, and then get out and see where your trailer is. Won't be behind you, so don't turn too short. Takes practice, but we all had to learn.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaux
So hi, I'm Margaux. I've just bought my very first trailer, a rather ancient 14' Appalache, which I'm pulling with my jeep liberty. I wanted to take my dog with me on my summer job and the only way to do this was to be driving my own rig, so I decided to spring for it. Of course the fact that this means that I get to have my own place versus sharing a room totally played into this... But still. This is my very, very first time ever pulling a trailer and I'm terrified! And I have a lot of questions. I've dealt with trailers before, hitching and unhitching them at work, but I've always been the navigator, not the driver. And I've never had to deal with any issues that come with trailer (especially old trailer) ownership. So any help I can get is welcome!
Thank you in advance for all your patience with my many panicky questions!
Margaux
An Apalachee? Wow! What year is it? You're welcome to join us and we'll try to help. Seeing as its both old and not a Forest River trailer I'm not sure how many here have experience with it. You might be teaching us more I think.

Have a great journey. Sounds exciting.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #4

It's a pretty simple trailer, I'm pretty sure I can learn a lot from you guys! I'm wokring my way up. One day I'll be at Forest River level... My bosses usually have a coachman, on tour and it's so pretty...

It's a 1973. So it's older than I am. Luckily I have a touring gig and our backlot manager is a genius at fixing things or I'd be even more nervous!

Thank you for the driving advice! I'm going to try and get as much practice in as I can before I leave. I'll get plenty of practice on the road too and I'm so thankful to have support when I'm there.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Hello Margaux!

Welcome aboard! You have found a great site for gathering information.

Take care,
Terier

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote