Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #1

Hello All

I've been browsing this site for a few days and appreciate the advice and willingness to help that is demonstrated by all. Camping folks are the best.

I am new to RVing and have been researching all things RV for months now. I was going to buy a Jayco 26bh, DVW 4725lbs, but came to realize that my Toyota Tacoma, tow capacity 6500lbs, was inadequate for that model. My wife and I are close to settling on a Forest River Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306, DVW 2986lbs, much smaller that our first choice but still adequate for our needs. I am interested in learning how other Mini-Lite owners feel about their tt, FR customer service, problems, quirks and anything else you may deem important to know before we take the plunge. We plan on local weekend trips to the mountains and the shore when the weather turns better, but we're also planning on traveling out west to visit our son in Bozeman, MT. Will the Mini-Lite be adequate for long trips, and do you believe the Tacoma is enough vehicle for this tt. Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg & Shirley Confer
Harrisburg, PA
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

to the forum !!!

What is the cab/bed configuration and wheelbase on your Tacoma ??? 1st impression is that you should be OK with the crew cab, longer wheelbased Taco, but run the numbers by the length and weight police here. You would definitely need a WDH with integrated sway control. We recently had a Tacoma member here whose trailer started to sway and ended up on its side on I-295 around Richmond, VA., but he was not using a WDH or sway control. It is a wise choice to be considering a small camper for a mid-sized pickup, but give us the stats and we can go from there.

Maybe other Tacoma owners can chime in here.

Again, welcome to the forum !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Site Team

if you have the correct towing amount, then that is a good match. but do you need the 3 bunk beds? because unless you've got 3 kids, you could get a better floorplan and still be around the same weight.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
to the forum !!!

What is the cab/bed configuration and wheelbase on your Tacoma ??? 1st impression is that you should be OK with the crew cab, longer wheelbased Taco, but run the numbers by the length and weight police here. You would definitely need a WDH with integrated sway control. We recently had a Tacoma member here whose trailer started to sway and ended up on its side on I-295 around Richmond, VA., but he was not using a WDH or sway control. It is a wise choice to be considering a small camper for a mid-sized pickup, but give us the stats and we can go from there.

Maybe other Tacoma owners can chime in here.

Again, welcome to the forum !!!
Thanks mtnguy. I have a Tacoma V6 double cab with the short bed and the tow package. The wheelbase is 127.8. I plan to use a Reese WDH with sway control. I witnessed a tt overturn on I-90 in Montana last summer. Scary $#@!. High winds. He should have pulled over.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
if you have the correct towing amount, then that is a good match. but do you need the 3 bunk beds? because unless you've got 3 kids, you could get a better floorplan and still be around the same weight.
I agree. I have three children, all out of the house. It'll be my wife and I on most trips without kids, but she insists that we have bunks in the event our kids want to travel with us....mostly to the shore, I would think. So bunks it must be. Says my wife. And after thirty seven years together, I've learned when to give-in and when to push back. Give-in, mostly.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #6

You can see our 2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 1809S that we pull with a Chevy 1500. We have found it to be a well built unit. PM me if you have more questions.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
I agree. I have three children, all out of the house. It'll be my wife and I on most trips without kids, but she insists that we have bunks in the event our kids want to travel with us....mostly to the shore, I would think. So bunks it must be. Says my wife. And after thirty seven years together, I've learned when to give-in and when to push back. Give-in, mostly.
you might want to ask the kids if they want to sleep in a 2' wide bunk or have their own tent.
IMHO, it would be better to have more inside space for all to sit, than have the 3 bunks take up space for only sleeping.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
Thanks mtnguy. I have a Tacoma V6 double cab with the short bed and the tow package. The wheelbase is 127.8. I plan to use a Reese WDH with sway control. I witnessed a tt overturn on I-90 in Montana last summer. Scary $#@!. High winds. He should have pulled over.
With a 128" wheelbase, that 23'7" trailer is probably all that you would want behind the Tacoma......I don't think that Jayco would have been a good towing experience. The Jayco 26 is heavier and longer than my Surveyor, and I would not want to pull anything bigger than my Surveyor with my F150.

You won't beat any land speed records, but slow and easy ought to be the anyone pulling a trailer. That is what I do......sit back and enjoy the ride.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #9

Thanks all for your comments and insights. We've decided on the Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306. Seems as though the weight is just about right for the Tacoma, and the bunks will come in handy for when offspring and fishing buddies are on board....and there will be plenty of fishing trips to some of my favorite PA flyfishing streams when the weather breaks. Can't wait.

Regards,
Greg & Shirley Confer

« Howdy | New 5th »