Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Whim Travler

Hello all Forest River 5th wheelers

Crash and I just traded a TT in for 5th wheel. Packing it now, planning on summer travels out to Yellowstone and back to OH. We are retired so no schedule per se.

Know we have to go to upper states in summer due to weather conditions. Is it recommeded we start booking Yellowstone and out west now for RV places or do we have a chance with a wk or 2 window as we go?

Also is it recommended to buy a tripod stabalizer for the hitch or not? New experience for us.

Diane/Crash
dianizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would recommend stabilizers for your landing gear.
not a tripod.
my profile alblums show my home made ones. Less than a Hundy to build.
steady fast makes them and others!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also read this http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...els-20015.html
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

dianizon,

We did Yellowstone last summer and were able to reserve campsites with as little as a 1 week notice, though I would not depend on being able to get what you want with that short of notice! We reserved a space in Jackson Hole, (south of Yellowstone) with a month or so notice and were able to get a space for 5 days or so in Gardiner MT with about a week notice. If you are going to see the Black Hill is SD, be sure to watch for the Sturgis bike rally, falls around the first of August if I remember correctly, it can be hard to find a space around that time.

As far as the tripod, I don't disagree with Turbo, but we have had good luck with the tripod. I am still wanting to experiment with the landing gear stabilizers, but it is not in the budget right now

Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

We eventually put stabilizers on our landing gear, but we camped for almost 3 years without them or a tripod. Most likely it depends on how "active" you are in the front of the 5th wheel, I suppose.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Jd I hope someday you can budget them you will have your tripod on craigs list faster than John forces funny car can do the qtr mile!

If you are handy make them if not do a search there are plenty of inexpensive alternatives to steady fast. Imo the tripod is heavy and cumbersome and you have to always store it. .and doesn't quite give the support stabilizers do

Op by the way welcome to the 5er world we welcome you!
Congrats on the new unit!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ps if you have kids you will defiantly entertain stabilizers.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Ps if you have kids you will defiantly entertain stabilizers.
Ha ha...I can vouch for that!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

I am one that beleives in the tripod. Yes the other systems are great also, however I feel that in cases where the overhang part of the 54er is over 5feet extra support is helpful. Now that may or not be true but for me I feel really comfortable with a tripod as I have a 6' overhang. There is a lot of unsupport weight on that part of the unit. The jt's and strongarms etc will take care of the movement thats for sure.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #10

If you want to stay at campgrounds within Yellowstone you might already be out of luck. I'd start calling now. You shouldn't have any problems finding places to stay along your route to and from though, it's just that Yellowstone is very popular and the camping season in the mountains is short.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I seen a pair of bal brand stabilizers for 103.00 today while at my dealer getting warranty work done.
I think that's cheaper than a pod but I'm not sure.
these are it >>>>> budget stabilizers >>>>>http://norcoind.com/bal/products/con.../lockarm.shtml

nice video attached as well !
Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #12

if you're not handy or don't have the time or the tools...

I ordered the JT Strongarms along with my new Sabre 32BHOK. Dealer installed em for free.
They are wonderful.

Agree that if you want to stay in Yellowstone, reserve now or plan on spending a couple of nights outside the park on a waiting list....
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #13

the tripod won't come close to supporting the trailer. they are just snugged and should stop some of the shake. my experience is that they do very little. i used one for years then put the stabilizers (braces) on the landing gear and rear feet. they really work.

i don't know what ur time table is, we went in 2002 and had reservations along the way. we didn't stay in Yellowstone but in Cody. the only campground that we stayed in was in Custer SD that i don't believe we could have gotten in without reservations.

in 2004, we had an itinerary but not a timetable. saw the places we drove by on the first trip...corn palace...and we got our free glass of ice water.
we would call ahead to our next destination and reserve a spot while on the road. we had enough flexibility that we could change destinations if we were unable to book.
while at Yellowstone, i highly recommend US 212 thru bear tooth pass (without a trailer). that goes to the NE entrance to Yellowstone. we found that scenic drive worth the trip.
the last trip, we drove across US 2 to glacier. we go 300 miles on a fill up and made it to a station just in time twice.
enjoy ur trailer and ur trip.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
Whim Travler

Thanks to all for info

We took the maiden voyage and it turned out pretty good. Ready to pack up and head west next week. Thanks for all the info on 5th wheels. We have been camping since we were both 14. And since we joined up 26yrs ago, have camped from tents up to TT, and this 5th wheel seems just a head above the 30' TT we traded for it. Plan on enjoying it for years to come. We love to travel and be tourists all over and meet others in the parks and hear all the stories. Am glad to be part of this forum for sure.

Crash and Diane
dianizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

For those of you who liked Butch's 5th wheel latch kit, he is working on a "mono-pod" tripod for king pin support. No idea where he stands with it; just know he is working on it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel