Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Hello everyone from PA!

Tent camping (roughing it with out electric) was going okay for the last few years, until we happen to browse the web and stumble upon a project....
2012 Viking 14R that had seen water damage from an unknown source.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #2

Welcome from Michigan.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

Welcome aboard

we are on the western edge of Pa.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #4

South Central here. Do you camp in PA State Parks?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the forums from So Cal! How is your project going? Any luck with finding the unknown water source yet?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

Welcome! We are in PA as well - Harrisburg area! We prefer to camp at state parks and have been to a few in PA and NY so far. For quick weekend trips, we try to stay w/i a 2 hour drive so we are there and set up before dark so we haven't explored too many yet.
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #7

Hello from the Poconos. Originally from the Altoona area.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Good evening and welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #9

I am in the process of posting pictures of our project. It took us 3 weeks to tear out everything down to the floor. The water damage is coming in from the fridge vents. I was told by Viking Support that they have inserted a vent ramp to try and keep water out of the back of the fridge. Well ours has that cheap bent metal and it does nothing. If we tape plastic on the vents, no water comes in. Take the plastic off, water runs across the floor under the cabinets and cargo spaces when it rains. It only costs us $437 in materials (tools was a higher debt) to replace the floor. And honestly, my husband and I had an awesome time doing it. The previous owners traded it in and never acted on the 2 year warranty with the camper company - for unknown reasons.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

Welcome from So. Cal and good luck on your project. That's one thing we need is another project LOL

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #11

Our goal is to stay at every state park in PA - there are like 120 of them. We have stayed at Caledonia & Colonel Denning this year. We are going to try Ole Bull during bear season. I especially want to go to Trough Creek for the balanced rock, suspension bridge, and Rainbow Falls. Hopefully next spring!
mdgladfelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #12

Good luck with the project....

Old 10-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #13

Welcome from the Northeast corner of the state, home of the great Frein hunt of 2014. Lots of good info in here, people always willing to give advice. As for PA state parks, they have two strikes against them for me: not all are dog friendly and you can't sit around your campfire and have a beer (because apparently we're not responsible enough adults to have an adult beverage while we're camping here in PA.) So private CGs and RV parks for me. A little more expensive, but usually nicer and more catering to their guests. Good luck with the new to you rig!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgladfelter View Post
Our goal is to stay at every state park in PA - there are like 120 of them. We have stayed at Caledonia & Colonel Denning this year. We are going to try Ole Bull during bear season. I especially want to go to Trough Creek for the balanced rock, suspension bridge, and Rainbow Falls. Hopefully next spring!
Tom and I go to Trough Creek quite a bit! In fact, that was our go-to place when we wanted to get away for the weekend somewhere fairly close. He is familiar with the area as his family had a hunting cabin nearby. We found a site there we love and just went up Friday after work and were sitting by the campfire by 730 - 8pm! It was a little difficult in the pop-up, for me at least as they do not have flush toilets or running water in the bathrooms.
It is a great place however and we really enjoy it! Hopefully we will run into you there sometime. We went to Shawnee State Park quite a bit last year too, about the same distance as Trough Creek since its closer to the Turnpike.
And Colonel Denning is a great little park too! On weekends that 1 or both of us has to work on Saturday mornings, we will set up down there and just run to work since its close enough.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
As for PA state parks, they have two strikes against them for me: not all are dog friendly and you can't sit around your campfire and have a beer (because apparently we're not responsible enough adults to have an adult beverage while we're camping here in PA.)
I totally agree with you on this one Taranwanderer! We have a dog that goes everywhere with us and some of the PA parks have limited pet sites that make it hard to get a spot when we want to go camping. I don't know why they do it that way? I am originally from NY and up there its like an "all but" policy - pets welcome everywhere BUT so and so sites, which is just usually a loop away from the others, with the majority being pet friendly....makes it much easier! And alcohol is allowed as well in NY, another plus.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #16

I have finally got an album put together of our project (18 pictures). Check it out under my profile when you get a chance.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #17

Welcome from southeast Pa. As far as I'm concerned allowing pets was the downfall of Pa State Parks. The whole time we camped growing up was pet free, Pit toilets and hand pumps. I was at French Creek this past summer... You guessed it, Yapping dogs. I also don't drink, so I don't understand why everything has to center around alcohol. Seems it leads to loud conversations later in the evening when were tying to rest. Seems folks don't realize how well sound travels in the woods. On the plus side they are making efforts to get hookups in the parks instead of more Yurts. My 2 cents.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #18

Welcome from New England. Enjoy your new fun filled and frustrating weekends. If you ever travel up to New England, CT has two state parks right on the beach.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #19

Welcome from southeastern PA.

Wow, just looked at the photos, that was quite the project. Looks great. Hope you got a deal on the camper to put in 59 hours of work.

A great way to learn where everything is in your camper, just gut it.

Enjoy camping in the "new" camper.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Welcome from southeast Pa. As far as I'm concerned allowing pets was the downfall of Pa State Parks. The whole time we camped growing up was pet free, Pit toilets and hand pumps. I was at French Creek this past summer... You guessed it, Yapping dogs. I also don't drink, so I don't understand why everything has to center around alcohol. Seems it leads to loud conversations later in the evening when were tying to rest. Seems folks don't realize how well sound travels in the woods. On the plus side they are making efforts to get hookups in the parks instead of more Yurts. My 2 cents.
Yeah, stinky pit toilets, hand pumps, teeny sites jammed right up against each other, and yurts are just great. Don't spend any DCNR $ on making improvements to the SPs, just let them lag behind every other state's. Our state parks are pathetic compared to other states' parks. As to your two other concerns: there are no bad dogs, only bad owners. I'm sure a quick visit by one of DCNR's Finest would cure any barking dog issues, or they'd be asked to leave. God knows if I was bold enough to pull out a beer and crack it open, they'd be on my site like stink on you know what to be kicking me out. And who said anything about camping being "centered around" alcohol? I'm not talking about a bunch of kids getting rip-roaring drunk, I'm talking about being a responsible, 40-something adult relaxing around the fire with a beer or two. But because we can't patrol and correct peoples' bad behavior individually as it comes up, everyone has to suffer and be denied the privilege. It's like high school all over again. You can keep the SPs, bro. I'll patronize the private CGs that are actually happy to have my business and treat me like an adult.

Sorry to the OP for high jacking your welcome thread, but PA SPs are a big pet peeve of mine. Again, welcome to the forums, don't hesitate to ask questions, there's lots of help and knowledge available on here.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote