Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

Hello Everyone, we are from NW TN & N Ms

We have had a bumper pull for about one and half years. We have really enjoyed traveling but have realized like most I'm sure that we should have went ahead and bought a fifthwheeler starting out. Now we are in search for one, but just have not found what I'm looking for. I also wanted to get recommendations from people who know better than me of groups that I might join that might do caravans. Not sure I want to ravel that way, but it seems like a great way to meet people and also gain knowledge from more experienced RV folks.
mike.reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.reece View Post
We have had a bumper pull for about one and half years. We have really enjoyed traveling but have realized like most I'm sure that we should have went ahead and bought a fifthwheeler starting out. Now we are in search for one, but just have not found what I'm looking for. I also wanted to get recommendations from people who know better than me of groups that I might join that might do caravans. Not sure I want to ravel that way, but it seems like a great way to meet people and also gain knowledge from more experienced RV folks.
Hey, Mike...welcome to the forum.

What do you have as far as a tt now, and what do you like and/or dislike about it? You say you have been looking...at what brands, size, etc. What do you want that you AREN'T finding out there yet? And before you jump to a 5th wheel, make sure your tv can handle it. (Note: The salesman will tell you it is "half-ton towable". Do your homework before you sign on the dotted line. Just 'cause a truck is capable of moving a trailer doesn't mean you should tow that particular trailer all over the country with that particular truck.

RV shows are good places to compare lots of different brands and floor plans in one place, but you may have missed most of them...however, there are still sites where you can find lists of upcoming RV shows.

As far as camping clubs and "caravans", most of the manufacturers have some sort of owners' group (F.R.O.G. - Forest River Owners' Group - is probably the largest, because Forest River has so many different brands under its corporate umbrella.) I'm sure other manufacturers have similar owners' groups.

Even within Forest River, Coachmen has their own owners' club, the Coachmen Caravan.

Other than those sponsored by the manufacturers, there are clubs like Good Sam club that offer membership to RV'ers regardless of brand affiliation. Good Sam hosts a couple of national events around the country, as well as some state events.

If you now own or if you purchase a Forest River or affiliated brand, check both the Forest River F.R.O.G. site or the "Rally Zone" forum on this site for a list of rallys around the country for Forest River owners. I venture to say that even though you live near Memphis, if you have a Forest River product, you would be welcome at any F.R.O.G. event, in Texas, in Georgia, in California, etc. These are great places to meet other owners from around the country (as is this forum, by the way.)

Good luck finding exactly what you want in a fiver.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

Post a "wish list" I'd bet someone here has or had a trailer just like you want..

Good hunting.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the Welcome, I have a Ford F-350 dually and love it. I found out the hard way to not trust the salesman recommendation the a half ton will pull my camper. It did pull it but struggled on the hills, so much so I had to put a transmission in my truck. Since having the F-350 I've really enjoyed it. It's like not pulling anything at all. Don't even know it's back there. I will purchase a fifth wheel at some point, but the wife and I have discussed maybe buying motor home so I'm not sure what direction we will go.
Also thanks for the recommendations on clubs, very helpful.
Thanks for your reply and have a great day
mike.reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Welcome! I've had both a motorhome and a TT. There are pros and cons to both. When I had a motorhome, we towed our family van, which added some strain to the engine of the mh. Also, it's another "motorized" vehicle that needs maintained and inspected on a yearly basis. But it's neat to be able to drive and the rest of the family have complete access to your RV (bathroom, beds, fridge)! TT isn't as expensive to maintain and you can set up camp and have your wheels to roam. Just gotta weigh all your options! Good luck and happy camping!

MommaHuffman is offline   Reply With Quote