Old 05-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
Hello! First Trailer Purchased

Hello All from AZ,

New to RV'ing. Bought a new WildWood X-Lite ES 195bh. Supposed to pick it up on Friday! After much research about TV, weights etc etc, we settled on this one. We wanted a larger TT but could not upgrade the TV right now. TV is 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB, 4.7L, 3.55 axle, 2 wheel drive. Dealer in installing 7pin harness, sway control and brake controller. They said I do not need a W.D. hitch?. Loaded trailer should be in the 4000lb range and my tow capacity is 6200lb. I didn't want to get near my max. Any thoughts on the combo? Any advice on what I need for the trailer for complete functionality? i.e. chemicals for the black tank, I guess they don't come with the pipe to dump the waste? Things like that. Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

BTW have a 3500 watt generator I am gonna use with this.

mustangmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new WildWood X-Lite ES 195bh. Things you need/want for 'complete functionality' would include:
a roll of teflon tape
water pressure regulator
white fresh water hose, I'd go with a 50'
quality sewer hose, Rhino makes a good one
disposable gloves & hand sanitizer for use at the dump station
black tank treatment
30AMP extension cord, 25' would probably be long enough
couple of pressure treated boards for leveling
wheel chocks
screens for water heater and furnace vents to keep nest building insects out
spare fuses
basic tool kit - screwdrivers, pliers, socket set, electrical tape etc
outdoor welcome mat to keep alot of dirt/sand from coming inside
roof vent cover so you can keep the roof vent open in the rain for fresh air

The list can grow pretty quick. Alot of the above items can be purchased at WalMart. Some dealers will include a 'Start up kit' that might include some of the more basic items above.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Thanks for the tips Wiscampsin. I'll start the list of items to acquire.

In my continuing research I've come to the conclusion I should get a WD hitch. I spoke to a couple people in the service department at the dealership and they were surprised the sales folks said I didn't need one. I'm trying to get one added to the deal before I pick up the trailer on Friday.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Welcome from Minnesota.
Your tongue weight should be 500+ lbs so a WDH would be a good idea with a 1/2T truck.
Enjoy your new trailer.
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 271RBXL
2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
I have the same weight setup. I have a wdh and am pretty happy with handling. I bought my rig last year and was in the same boat as you are now. Had a great summer last year with the new toys Looking forward to a great year camping this year. The generator might bump your weight up a bit though. This site is a great resource for information and help.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
I pulled a 4,300 (dry weight) with a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 ltr quad cab…I had the WD system…no problem pulling though
Soonermikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Thanks everyone for the info. Do you think i should get a hitch rated at 600lb TW? The dealer yesterday was showing me the one they have and its rated at 800lb-1200lb. I don't think that would work correctly?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
X2 on the wd hitch. The 195bh is ours first TT and have pulled it both ways. It's just a much smoother ride. Walmart has the camco vent covers pretty cheap. Super easy to put on. Haven't needed an extention cord yet. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. I have done a lot of mods to ours.
Wa11y757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
Welcome from Ontario. I was also surprised the dealer was not selling the WD, surprised what you end up throwing in the back of your truck...piece of mind. I would also go with the heavier hitch, two reasons never good idea to be at or near towing limits and if you upgrade you already have the hitch.

We could write a book on the stuff you will need or want, shore power extension cord, may not use it often but that one time where you are a foot short or at some parks where you are sharing a pedestial. Same as water hose, I carry three of them, I was a boy scout "Always be prepared", x2 on a small tool box with some basics in it. and on and on. You firt time out go for a walk around the CG and see what others are doing.

2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
Regarding things to carry with you:

polarity tester, to make sure the hookups in an RV park are wired properly.

voltmeter to make sure the voltage is appropriate.

water thief for attaching the water hose to a spigot that is not threaded.

I carry 2 25 foot white hoses. I also carry 2 50 foot roll up hoses. Every time I went camping and I did not have enough hose I borrowed one from a fellow camper. When I got home I bought another hose. 175 feet is enough for me to go camping in forest service campgrounds with community water spigots scattered around the loop. I have 175 feet because for one trip 150 feet was not enough.

Before the MH we had a Trailmanor TT. I weighed the TT axle while it was loaded but did not weigh the tongue. I estimate the total weight at 4,100 pounds fully loaded.

I had no trouble with my Chevy 1500HD crew cab truck. But that truck is really more of a 2500LD (Light Duty). When setting the TT tounge on the hitch the rear bumper sagged 5/8 inch. I had no need for a WD hitch. But anything smaller than that truck I would seriously consider a WD hitch.

When I added two motorcycles and some other stuff to the Chevy the rear sagged more. It drove nicely but I had to use a jack to lift the tongue up in order to remove the wheel. With a GMC 2500HD I no longer have that problem.

Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote