Old 04-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Hello from Akron, Ohio ~ '14 Clipper 16fb

Greetings fellow campers.

Bought our first TT, finally. We've been camping for over 20 years and did the usual progression; Tent (15 years), Pop up (5 years), now travel trailer. My wife was finally tired of shuffling off to the campground head at O'dark Thirty every night. Fighting possum and coons along the way. Uphill, there and back. If you believe her.

The Clipper 16fb was about as big as I could go with my tow vehicle, my Jeep Wrangler JK. I'm a life long Jeeper and I wasn't going to buy a truck to tow a TT. This 16fb seems about right for us, just enough space and no more canvas to dry out! W00T! It seems we love to camp in the rain often.

Camp mostly state parks in Ohio (they're great) And sometimes venture out to neighboring states. We'll see how far we take this one. We camp often with our club, C.W.A.C. (camping with alcohol club). Might sound like we're a bunch of raging boozers but we're not. About 25 members or so, all responsible adults from 30s to 40s with kids. A dizzy duck is our mascot and we have great camp hoodies and shirts. We all met through Geocaching (my forum name here is my geo-nick) and once we realized we all camp, was natural to camp together. Got 5 campouts planned this year with C.W.A.C., always more fun camping with a club. Anyone else out there play Werewolf around the campfire? It's a hoot. Plus if you forget something, someone else has it to borrow. And you save on campfire wood, one shared fire every night with who ever has the best site for it. So if you don't belong to a club, look into it.

Since this is my first TT, and full hookup camper, I'm looking to learn a lot here. I'll be reading and posting questions along the way.

Good camping to you all!

Dan & Frenchie
Akron, Ohio

the hiking viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Welcome! That 16FB is a pretty cool looking trailer! My wife wasn't willing to commit to camping on a regular basis until she had a potty in the camper, so our pop-up had a toilet. And then we went big...

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Welcome! Sounds like a fun group!
"Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been." ~ Jimmy Buffet

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Welcome from another camper in your neck of the woods, sort of, just south of you.
We enjoy the state parks in Ohio too, especially Salt Fork. You will really enjoy not sleeping under canvas. And no more night time hikes!
2014 Sunseeker 3010DS
With chocolate, all is well
richardwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Thanks for the greetings.

Salt Fork is great. Our favorite is just 20 minutes from us, West Branch. Then of course we love camping Put In Bay every fall. The only state park we haven't liked in Ohio so far is East Fork down east of Cincy. What a dump. Filthy and old bathrooms, dirty park grounds, rules not enforced, and the lake was a cesspool. Bad, bad, bad.
the hiking viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Andrea - 2013 Coachmen 16
Welcome! We just brought home our first TT, a Clipper16b. Same with us, I have a Mercury Mariner for our tow vehicle so we couldn't get much bigger. We are completely new to progression from tents and pop ups. My only experience comes from visiting my grandparents whenever they rolled into town in their Class A. We are hoping to take it out soon for the maiden voyage.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
Andrea2772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Welcome from Painesville, OH. Hope you enjoy your new TT. Agree that it is great to camp with a club. First outing of the season for our group was last weekend at West Branch State Park. I also have a Jeep Wrangler but cannot pull our Rockwood 2502s with it. Hope to see you at a future camping event.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forest River Forums mobile app
pvillebly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your Clipper 16fb.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Welcome Viking !!
That does sound like a fun group !! Have a great summer in you're new camper!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #10
Congrats on the new camper and have fun!

2014 Coachmen Catalina
243RBS 50th Anniversary
2013 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote