Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
TeresaInCAL

Hello from California

Hi all! We've had our bumper pull since 2009, so we're not newbies, but are constantly learning about new places to go, upgrades to make, and how to fix problems.

Looking forward to all the info I can get my hands on....

Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good to have you here. I'm sure you'll find some good information and are able to share as well

Welcome aboard!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi TeresainCAL

Welcome to the forums! Good to have another person from California here. I'm in the Inland Empire area - about an hour away from the beach, mountains, and desert.

So where do you like to go camping at? I'm starting to wander farther form home so I'm looking for some good places to add to the list.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
TeresaInCAL

Hi Scott!

Hi Terier!
You're way south of me, I'm pretty much right in the middle of CA. We went to Santa Cruz this weekend. Stayed at a place called Smith Woods. It was OK. I don't usually like the "RV Resort" kind of places...too many people. We didn't hate it though. Didn't stay long enough to have a good feel for the place.
We like to go to the Ocean a lot. Anywhere that is cooler. It was 107 here yesterday, and over 100 today.
Been looking into boondocking lately. Need to work up the confidence to go out and find adventure.
We like to go to Bodega, it's just that the weather is so "iffy"...can be VERY windy.
Where's your favorite place?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Site Team

I understand about the heat as it been 100+ here for some time now. The news stations keeps talking about a cool down without any success. I take care of dad and he likes the house "toasty" like 86-89 (all year round) so I melt!

Most of my camping history with campgrounds is limited but two regular places are San Clemente State Beach and Cottonwood @ Rancho Jurupa (Riverside).

Early this summer I got brave enough to try a few days of dry camping at El Capitan State Beach (North of Santa Barbara). I had a lot of *firsts* on that trip and was able to check off a few things off the To-Do list.

During the 4th of July holiday I stayed at a new state park Crystal Cove Moro and liked it a lot more than expected.

I will be testing out South Carlsbad State Beach (San Diego area) in December but don't expect it to be on top of my list because of the layout design of sites with hook ups. But ocean view is always good.

If all goes well I will do a few day at Calico Ghost Town in November. This is usually when the weather turns and we deal with high winds or storms. Not going to the desert in this heat so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for November. If it doesn't work out I have plan B (San Clemente) booked.

Being the main caregiver for dad keeps me close to home base but someday I hope to go a wandering here or there.

I do have some words of advice for you - get brave and do a little boondocking or dry camping. Keep it simple and short for the first trip and I bet the next trip won't be long in coming and will be even longer. Find out what to expect and start preparing for it. You can always practice in the driveway to see how long your battery will last or what challenges you will encounter without power.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
TeresaInCAL

I'll have to look those places up, google earth is my friend. :0)

We've dry camped, at a designated campground, but not just gone, and found a "wild" area, and set anchor. Know what I mean? We've got 2 batteries, and a generator, so I'm not real worried about that, I think it's more the water thing. I worry about towing so much weight, and ruining my truck. Think I'm just paranoid.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Not to rub it in too much, but we finally cooled down here in WI.

High of 80 during the day today and the nights are in the 50s/60s. Perfect camping weather! Too bad we're just about done

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Lucky duck Triguy! BTW ....we won't be rubbing it in either come Janurary or February....

I can't remember the last day it was below 100. Of course I went back to work when the heatwave hit so I do have some pretty good A/C in my office.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
I'll have to look those places up, google earth is my friend. :0)

We've dry camped, at a designated campground, but not just gone, and found a "wild" area, and set anchor. Know what I mean? We've got 2 batteries, and a generator, so I'm not real worried about that, I think it's more the water thing. I worry about towing so much weight, and ruining my truck. Think I'm just paranoid.
To be blunt San Clemente isn't so pretty but I really like it. The funny part is that I hated that CG the first time I tent camp there. The RV sites are close together but I like pull-thru sites and having an ocean view even if it partial.

Do try El Capitan SB. The "RV only" sites used to be a parking lot and it does look like a parking lot but the open space and limited sites in that area is worth it to me.

Sounds like you have everything you need to stay in the wildness. I bet it worth it to stay off the beaten path....maybe someday I can say I did it.

I'm going to check out the campgrounds you listed in your area. It's time to do some exploring.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum. I am a transplant from California, lived in Tulare County for several years. We could see Mt. Whitney on a clear day from our front porch.

Now living in the Heart of Middle TN

Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote