Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #1

Hello from Canada

Hi Everyone! My wife and I just bought a new travel trailer at the RV show here in Regina, Saskatchewan. Our last travel trailer was stolen about 1.5 years ago (June 2012) and we have been itching to get back into it since. After looking around at different makes and models and what was available at the RV show, we decided on the Surveyor Cadet 291BHSS. We are very excited about it and look forward to picking it up in the spring. This trailer will work great with our 16 month old son and two large dogs.

I am sure I will be on this forum a lot over the next few months looking at different ideas people have.
SuperShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and glad to see your back in the game after such a heavy knockout.

May I suggest a four legged 100lb+ burglar alarm?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #3

Welcome from a fellow Canuck..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

Welcome form Wisconsin and congrats on your Surveyor Cadet 291BHSS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Welcome to the FR family from another Canadian.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Welcome to the forum and glad to see your back in the game after such a heavy knockout.

May I suggest a four legged 100lb+ burglar alarm?

Unfortunately I already have two. A 75lb boxer and a 130lb german shepard/rottweiler cross. Neither of which were anywhere near where the camper was being stored. There is no way I will store this one anywhere near where the old one was.
SuperShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Congrats on your purchase. Did you buy from Minard's?

We bought our Surveyor Sport from them last year at the RV show.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_J View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Did you buy from Minard's?

We bought our Surveyor Sport from them last year at the RV show.
Yes we did. The people at Minard's were great to us.

I looked at the other campers from Village and based on my experience there, I would not buy from them. VERY pushy and unprofessional salesmen that didn't have a clue and they mainly just bashed the other RV companies when asked questions.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperShawn View Post
Yes we did. The people at Minard's were great to us.

I looked at the other campers from Village and based on my experience there, I would not buy from them. VERY pushy and unprofessional salesmen that didn't have a clue and they mainly just bashed the other RV companies when asked questions.
So far they have been good to us as well. Spoke to Gene yesterday and he remembered us from last year. Their service and parts departments are great. Very helpful.

Which parks in Sask do you camp at?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
So far they have been good to us as well. Spoke to Gene yesterday and he remembered us from last year. Their service and parts departments are great. Very helpful.

Which parks in Sask do you camp at?
This year we plan on going all over the place due to family commitments etc. We typically camp in the east half of the province due to proximity to family; Crooked Lake, Duck Mountain, Hudson Bay area, Round Lake, etc. We are wanting to try a bunch of new places this year.

Where in Sask do you go?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
This year we plan on going all over the place due to family commitments etc. We typically camp in the east half of the province due to proximity to family; Crooked Lake, Duck Mountain, Hudson Bay area, Round Lake, etc. We are wanting to try a bunch of new places this year.

Where in Sask do you go?
Mainly go to Rowan's Ravine and Echo Valley.

Have been staying fairly close to Regina for now till we get some towing challenges straightened away. Should have it setup properly this season.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #12

Hudson Bay Sask! Wow I used to call on the grocers in that area as a sales rep out of PA... Back in the day. Always remember going through Mistatim and wondering who's HUGE house that was off the highway!
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Mainly go to Rowan's Ravine and Echo Valley.

Have been staying fairly close to Regina for now till we get some towing challenges straightened away. Should have it setup properly this season.
We are probably going to be staying close for the first few trips. We have a family wedding in BC in June that we are going to take the camper to so hopefully I can get everything worked out before then.

What kind of towing issues have you been having? Not the right type of WD hitch?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
Hudson Bay Sask! Wow I used to call on the grocers in that area as a sales rep out of PA... Back in the day. Always remember going through Mistatim and wondering who's HUGE house that was off the highway!
It is nice country up there but you are right there are some HUGE houses as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
We are probably going to be staying close for the first few trips. We have a family wedding in BC in June that we are going to take the camper to so hopefully I can get everything worked out before then.

What kind of towing issues have you been having? Not the right type of WD hitch?
Having some sway issues. Almost lost it a couple times.

Using the 800-Lb RB2 Pro-Series Round Bar WDH that we purchased from Minard's and had them setup when we picked up the trailer. I don't think it was setup properly right from the get go. When we got home the number of links on the bar chains were set different from one side to the other.

After talking with Gene Minard and a service fellow from there, they think there is to much weight being transferred to the front of the truck taking the weight off the back. So going to start backing off the bar chains and see what the sag is on the truck till I get get it to 1". Not sure what it is right now. If that doesn't work I'll get WDH with sway control.

They said they haven't heard of anyone having sway problems with that model TT and hitch we have, so hopefully have to just dial it in better.

Going to change tires and shocks on the truck as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:

Using the 800-Lb RB2 Pro-Series Round Bar WDH that we purchased from Minard's and had them setup when we picked up the trailer. I don't think it was setup properly right from the get go. When we got home the number of links on the bar chains were set different from one side to the other.

After talking with Gene Minard and a service fellow from there, they think there is to much weight being transferred to the front of the truck taking the weight off the back. So going to start backing off the bar chains and see what the sag is on the truck till I get get it to 1". Not sure what it is right now. If that doesn't work I'll get WDH with sway control.

They said they haven't heard of anyone having sway problems with that model TT and hitch we have, so hopefully have to just dial it in better.

Going to change tires and shocks on the truck as well.

This is the same hitch that we have. I am still debating on going with a better hitch since I will be going through the mountains. Hopefully it is just a set up issue and not something bigger. With such a large trailer, I think that sway control is a good thing.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #17

Welcome to the for family lots of good info here just need to ask for help. Maybe our weather here will get better.

Kdcamper 2011 3500 Chev. Ltcc 2013 8329ss tt d.p. Husky centreline air safe hitch.
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #18

Welcome from Airdrie, Alberta!!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #19

Quote:

Do you have one sway bar? Any TT over 28' is better having 2 sway bars. I found a large difference when I added the 2nd sway bar. Plus if you have P tires on the TV could be causing some of the sway problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #20

Welcome from Dog River.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada